navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Just Wondering
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic Just Wondering Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
gringakiwi
since 2003-08-05
Posts 189

0 posted 2003-08-11 02:40 AM

Hi all
I was just wondering about a couple of things- what does "no cross posting" mean- does it mean I cant put one poem in 2 places, or that I must always post in the same place (ie The Corner Pub).
And why are the little folders (next to the topics) on the left changing colours, flashing and sometimes opening?
Thanks! I was just wondering....
Connie.
PS. I am having a lot of fun here at pip.

[This message has been edited by gringakiwi (08-11-2003 07:58 AM).]

© Copyright 2003 gringakiwi - All Rights Reserved
Local Parasite
Deputy Moderator 10 Tours
Member Elite
since 2001-11-05
Posts 2527
Transylconia, Winnipeg
1 posted 2003-08-11 03:35 AM

Hey there Connie, glad to hear you're having fun.

No cross-posting means no posting the same poem in more than one forum.  The exceptions to this rule are Critical Analysis and Poetry Workshop (which requires special access anyways), as they are places where you can post your work to be analyzed as opposed to just enjoyed.

Yellow folders are topics that haven't had any new replies since your last visit (a new "visit" starts each time you access the main page of piptalk.com, I believe).  Red folders are topics that have gotten new replies since your last visit, or are new themselves.  White folders mean that the last reply to the thread was by the author his/herself.  Opening-closing folders mean a first post by a new member, so be sure to check those ones out and welcome the person.  Always good to check out the new blood!

A few more things to note... it's a good idea to post replies to people's poetry before posting your own, that way you don't end up sinking your own poem beneath the ones you reply to.  Reply a bit then post your poem on top (like a cherry on a sundae!).

Another thing... don't post more than three poems a day.  Not only will people get annoyed with you if you do, they'll likely stop reading and replying, and you'll likely run out of stuff to post pretty quickly and be wishing you'd saved something a few months down the road.  Keep some poems on file and post them when you're feeling blocked, just so you don't have to sit out of the fun of piptalk while you're in a writing slump.

Enjoy the discussion forums but don't let them distract you from the main purpose of piptalk... some people really get drowned in the discussion forums and as a result find that they slack off when it comes to reading and replying to people's poems, or writing and posting their own.  It's a lot more fun to try and keep yourself involved in at least as much poetry as discussion.

To see the big picture of piptalk, all of its different forums and what they have to offer, try using the Today's Topics feature.  It's the link right under Smart Search in the blue mini links menu right at the top of nearly every page in these forums.  If you can't find it just do a control-F for "today's topics".  This will bring up a collection of all of the threads that have been posted or replied to since midnight of the same day.  It encompasses all of the forums in a neat and easy to use format.  Me, I only use Today's Topics, and I think there are a lot of other people like me, who do the same thing.

Just a bit of advice for getting started.  Have a lot of fun here.  Once you hit 500 posts, be sure to check out me and my elitist friends in the Sanctuary forums.  You might like it there, too.  

Once again, Welcome to Piptalk!  Great to have you here.

Faith is a fine invention
When gentlemen can see
But microscopes are prudent
In an emergency.
~~~Emily Dickinson

[This message has been edited by Local Parasite (08-11-2003 03:38 AM).]

gringakiwi
since 2003-08-05
Posts 189

2 posted 2003-08-11 08:03 AM

Thanks a lot for so much info- now I feel like I finally understand the "ins and outs", and I can concentrate on the good stuff!

Cheers,
Connie.

Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
3 posted 2003-08-11 08:04 AM

'Tis a good and Passionate synopsis....
littlewing
Member Rara Avis
since 2003-03-02
Posts 9655
New York
4 posted 2003-08-12 01:39 AM

Beautiful Brian, excellent yes - Hey go look in DM - I had to . . .

kiwi - Welcome . . . you will love it here

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Just Wondering

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary