navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » The US Marines... And Me.
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic The US Marines... And Me. Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
PoetryIsLife
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2001-10-27
Posts 1763
...in my boxers...

0 posted 2003-07-08 09:57 PM

Hello everyone.

Recently, I've been posting here a bit more, because I missed writing poetry after a sabatical(sp) from it, and I garnish inspiration from pip. So, hence, I'm active again.

Recently, active has come to mean a lot more to me. I'm in the process of working on the details of joining the US Marines, likeli active. Some of you may remember a thread months and months ago (within the last year, though, I believe) in which I was considering joining the ARMY via the ROTC. After being unable to fully commit myself to the ARMY, I started college early, and graduated from high school. Here, now, I'm now more prepared for the thought of signing four years of my life away. Not only that, but researching a bit, I feel desirous to join in the traditions of the Marines.

The honor of serving the United States of America, the character development, and educational assistence are part of my multi-facted desire to join.

From what I've been told, if/when I sign the contract, I probably won't be sent to Basic till next Feb/Apr.

I was curious, what are you thoughts on the US Marines, or, at least, the military services as a whole? Are any of you personally involved?

Thanks for your time.

~Titus

© Copyright 2003 Daniel Redding - All Rights Reserved
skyshine
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2002-02-07
Posts 3058
Beneath the northern stars
1 posted 2003-07-08 10:44 PM

I have to say (though I'm not really proud of it) that I've never really thought much about the Marines or any of the Armed Forces--though they do have my support! That's a big step you're taking, Titus. Congratulations and GOOD LUCK!!!

~Elizabeth

Dreams last for so long, even after you're gone...
~Jewel

Skyfire
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-12-27
Posts 3381
Riding
2 posted 2003-07-09 01:12 AM

All I can say (I explained why already) is the following:
A) don't get yourself killed
B) don't forget to contact me when you can
C) focus comes with age
D) HAVE FUN... yeah it's serious work, but if it's something you think you'll enjoy, then enjoy it to the fullest

Skyfire owns you - Stinky Twinky

Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
3 posted 2003-07-09 06:41 AM

Our most astute resource on the US Marines would be Ron.  I suggest you email him personally for his own introspections.  I expect he has many...
SEA
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Seraphic
since 2000-01-18
Posts 22676
with you
4 posted 2003-07-09 09:17 AM

I've seen military life first hand. I think it would be an excellent way to spend 4 years of your life. I talk to my kids about it all the time. The opportunities available to you, are endless. You get an education, life experience, you get to see the world, great benefits, and skills that you will use throughout your life. The friendships and bonds you can make will last a lifetime too. Good luck to you, I hope you join.
LoveBug
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Elite
since 2000-01-08
Posts 4697

5 posted 2003-07-09 10:42 AM

Howdy.. I live in an area were many many young people join the armed forces sometime in life. (Jessica Lynch didn't live all that far from me!) Personally, I have a very good friend who joined the national guard the day of 9-11-01, and is getting ready to go to boot camp again to be in regular army. I have another friend who is joining the air force in a couple of months, one joining the navy, one already in the army, two already in the air force, one is a marine, one cousin in the navy... I could just go on. And, yes, I worry a lot about them, but they are doing what they want to do. Some do it for a career, and some are doing it to get money for college, esc.. but all of them really believe in the ideals of the USA and are willing to stand up for them. I'm proud of them and I'm proud of YOU too!

Give us you address and I'm sure you'll get bunches of letters when you go to basic.

Oh, make me Thine forever
And should I fainting be
Lord, let me never ever
Outlive my love for Thee

[This message has been edited by LoveBug (07-09-2003 10:42 AM).]

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
6 posted 2003-07-09 11:54 AM

I worked for several years for a fine man who had been in the Marines.  He went on to law school, but kept the idea of the Marines and its background, education, morals, etc., in his daily life.  

He is now a Justice of the Kansas Supreme Court.

I think it's a good step, Titus - if you know what you want going in, and know how to retain the good of your education, coming out.

It won't be easy.  But good things are NEVER supposed to come easy.

Now, I'll simply ditto Nan.

Susan Caldwell
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-12-27
Posts 8348
Florida
7 posted 2003-07-09 01:27 PM

Titus,

I did 10 yrs active duty with the Navy as a MP, military police (we call them MAA=master-at-arms in the Navy), and now I work for the Department of the Navy as a civilian.  Hence, pretty much my entire life has revolved around the military.  Email me if you want to know anything.  

Susan C.

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
8 posted 2003-07-09 02:47 PM

While I only know about 'Marine' life from relatives and the media, I just want to add one thing no one else has yet.
You do not have to serve in the military to be an honorable citizen. Many choose Peace Corps or other ways to serve their fellow human. The important thing to know is...is this is truly your personal path? and not one you've been pushed or pulled into by anyone else's perspective on what constitutes good citizenship.
Whatever you choose, please keep your paper and pen handy, and write of the emotions and the scenery of Life you encounter. You are unique, and the only one on earth who can see through your eyes, and interpret with your heart and mind.
We will all stand behind you as friends in poetry, whatever you choose. PS, I've always liked your pen name. Please keep it, and use it regularly.

[This message has been edited by Midnitesun (07-09-2003 02:50 PM).]

hush
since 2001-05-27
Posts 1653
Ohio, USA
9 posted 2003-07-09 08:46 PM

Just be absolutely sure this is what you want. My boyfriend was in basic for two months- and didn't make it through- because he found that it really breaks you down, physically, emotionally, and mentally. This can make you stronger- if you really believe in what you're doing- or it can weaken your resolve and your spirit, if you become disilusioned.

Good luck- I hope you make the best choice for yourself.

littlewing
Member Rara Avis
since 2003-03-02
Posts 9655
New York
10 posted 2003-07-10 12:28 PM

Titus:

Semper Fi

xxoo

Ringo
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2003-02-20
Posts 3684
Saluting with misty eyes
11 posted 2003-07-10 12:56 PM

Titus-
First and foremost, I congradulate you on your decision to join the Marines and for actually taking the tiome to research us before blindly jumping in.
I would highly encourage you to Join the Marines, since you seem to be desiring the traditions and respect, and honor that we give to those whom we call Brothers.
Depending on where you live, you will either have to deal with the sand fleas digging in your ears (without relief) or climbing Mount Mother and seeing those planes flying over head, and knowing you are NOT going to be on one for a while.
My suggestion is to ask your recruiter to set you up with the local Marine Corps League (or e-mail me and I will get the local one for you... complete with contact info) and talk to the old boys that were in before you. They will be able to tell you moere about the legacy which you are being handed.
Good luck, and Semper Fi.

BTW... the ONLY thing that can stop you from completing Boot Camp is YOU. I joined as a 5'9" 115# skinny, muscleless wonder and made it through the physical harassment, and the torturous physical demands. It's all about how badly do you want it.

We see the light of those
Who find the world has passed them by
Too late to save a dream from growing cold...

PoetryIsLife
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2001-10-27
Posts 1763
...in my boxers...
12 posted 2003-07-10 07:01 PM

Thank you so much for all those who offered support and encouragement. It's greatly appreciated. And to those who offered for me to contact them, I will be doing so shortly.

Thank you, and Semper Fi.

~Titus

cynicsRus
since 2003-06-06
Posts 591
So Cal So Cool!
13 posted 2003-07-12 01:01 PM

Titus,
When my son announced to me his intentions of joining the USMC, my immediate reaction was fear. I envisioned him coming back home a hard edged, hard drinking, hard talking directionless bum. Since he was still in high school and needed his parents permission, I expressed my reservations.
Then I met his recruiter and began to see things in a new light. He assured me that the Marines are interested in quality individuals and since my son had tested well, they'd like to train him in computers and were also offering him his choice of station. When I went to his graduation from boot camp I was truly awe struck by the sense of unabashed patriotic fervor they attempt to instill in every recruit. I saw what great respect my son came to have for all those around him, especially the Drill Instructors, who's job it is to put them through a living hell; My son was astute enough to know the purpose of that hell was to mold him into someone who'd never break under pressure. Long story short: He came through magnificently; in the best shape of his life with a great resume' that put him in a great career--and he's just as great a kid as he ever was.
He loved just about every bit of Marine life. I now see, he made one of the best choices of his life. I have the greatest of respect for all of our military and now especially, the Marines.
Wishing you the best,

Sid

Alnilam
since 2003-07-04
Posts 75

14 posted 2003-07-13 01:03 PM

I know this isnt going to be original, but I have a strong say on this topic, so here goes. I am in no way against the US armed forces, I have lots of family members who are members of the armed forces, and I support our troops and how they have devoted their life to doing something so amazing, something I know I could never do myself. But I do have to add that I do resent alot of the treatment those involved might recieve for devoting their lives or parts of their lives to such a thing. My cousin was just diagnosed with Lukemia due to contact with agent orange in the armed forces, he is dying and the armed forces wont take responsibility for his life which is of yet unlived really. I must say, although I respect your decision, and those of all the wonderful men and women in the armed forces, I would never myself serve under them.

~*Alnilam*~
"The worst tragedy for a poet is to be admired through being misunderstood."

cynicsRus
since 2003-06-06
Posts 591
So Cal So Cool!
15 posted 2003-07-13 02:31 PM

Alnilam,
There are many who have similar feelings toward the armed services. Even many in the armed services have become disillusioned for one reason or another. My heart goes out to you and your cousin. I've heard similar stories. It's difficult to find any who dare to take responsibility, especially in the litigious days in which we live. I wish I had more to offer in the way of help or comfort, for these are the ones who have given up a bit of themselves so that you and I can continue to express our views--positive or negative. And, I have to agree, they don't get nearly the respect or compensation they deserve. The best I can offer is respect for those who now serve as well as those those who have served in the past. It matters not whether they were assigned to fight on the front lines, refuel a HumVee, to cook or issue supplies back home. They are all important to the cause of freedom in my book.

Grateful to your cousin and wishing him the best,

Sid

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » The US Marines... And Me.

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary