navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Please Help!
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic Please Help! Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
poohbear19
since 2003-02-02
Posts 94
Colorado, USA

0 posted 2003-02-04 08:47 PM

Okay I am a junior in high school and I am an Instructional Assistant for a freshmen english class and there is a long term subsitute because the teacher is on leave (or something) and the kids are so rude to the sub and they are immature and they don't do their work...or occasionally when they do, do their work it is always late, how can I get them to be respectful to the sub, be more mature, and get their work done and turned in on time? I have tried so many things that I am just tempted to give up and say if you want to fail then fine go ahead. But I was always taught that you treat a substitute teacher with a lot of respect since they are a guest in the school, but I guess these freshmen just don't get the picture. Also they are always complaining. I can tell that the substitute is fed up and frustrated because this freshman turned in some homework that was like 2 weeks late and the sub wouldn't take it and got mad at him and I feel bad for the sub. I am trying so hard to get these kids to do their work and turn it in on time but they really don't care. I am trying to help them learn but all they care about is talking to their friends in the class, they don't care about learning, and they don't care that they are rude, immature, and going to fail and have to make up a credit next year or whenever. Well I am done venting, so if anyone has any ideas/advice please tell me....thank you all so very much.

Andrea

© Copyright 2003 Andrea M. K. - All Rights Reserved
defenestrate
since 2003-01-10
Posts 46
nc, us
1 posted 2003-02-05 01:25 AM

most teachers in public schools, regular or substitute, realize that the system throws many kids their way who will never care about what they're trying to help them learn. the best thing you can do is set the example, and if none of your classmates care, take a little time out to show your gratitude to the teacher, your appreciation for the time taken to try to educate people. most teachers live for that.
Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
2 posted 2003-02-05 08:48 AM

Andrea,
How wonderful to have a student as wise as you. And how frustrating to have a freshman class so driven by peer pressure. A truth in life is that we provide opportunity but can't overcome the individuals right to choose. There is power in example but, limitation too. The advice already given is excellent. Peace and courage to you. BTW, cool pic! And it is excellent to see a teen wandering around these blue pages mingling with us old people!

(My resident expert is gone, sorry)

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

[This message has been edited by Larry C (02-05-2003 08:48 AM).]

poohbear19
since 2003-02-02
Posts 94
Colorado, USA
3 posted 2003-02-05 07:41 PM

Thank you both for your great advice and I will show the sub some thanks, I help him out a lot but thats what an assistant does, and occasionally teach the class.

Andrea

PoetryIsLife
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2001-10-27
Posts 1763
...in my boxers...
4 posted 2003-02-06 12:58 PM

Bravo! A superb vent it was.

As far as your questions.... I'm attending colleege now, though I'll graduate from highschool in June. 13 credits at college, 10 at home.... I'm not sure what this type of situation would call for; what type of action it requires. Your patience is admirable. Most people, especially our age, would have said a few four letter words, and more, and walked away.

In the end, if they don't want your help, I wouldn't sacrifice yourself for them. You are all you have in the end, and if they don't want help and sacrifice, it's not worth it.

Perhaps, if you have the time, look into psychology and sociology reports on the subject of teaching, learning, and attention disorders, see if you can pick anything up? Look at a library, at college campus, maybe communicate with a psych professor or two, if he/she have the time. The reports may be hard to read and understand, and gather helpful information from. Perhaps look at old copies of psych labs? Or search online (www.dogpile.com, www.altavista.com)... maybe the American Psychologist Assocition (APA), their online website, for material gathered into an easy to read format.

Perhaps talk to teachers known to have successful classes on your campus and see if they have any advice?  

By the way, smashing picture.

~Titus

Es ist gut, daß das Leben die Toten studieren sollte.

[This message has been edited by PoetryIsLife (02-06-2003 01:01 AM).]

cherish
since 2001-03-25
Posts 1639
swimming in fairy floss...........
5 posted 2003-02-06 02:51 AM

okay, this has NO relevance to what you said- but YOU are gorgeous...

...i dont know you, but i hate you

Congratulations! It's a bisexual!

cherish
since 2001-03-25
Posts 1639
6 posted 2003-02-06 02:53 AM

LARRY!!!

there are sooooooooooooooo very many teens around here- you've just got to open those wrinkly eyes of yours and see!

cherish
since 2001-03-25
Posts 1639
7 posted 2003-02-06 03:03 AM

okay, so ive spamed your thread...sorry.

i've taught highschool for a limited number of days as a sub.

i agree though, there are a whole bunch of kids out there, especially in the younger grades who will act up for the sheer reason of not being under the care of their regular teacher. kids love knowing that they can act up and not ever see the sub again. to them its an invitation for animalistic behaviour.

i took year seven for art, and although there were a few who did the work i'd set for them and did it well, there were the few loud baboons bouncing around   who didnt.

sometimes its frustrating for the sub, but they rest easy knowing that they dont have to put up with it for too long.

i suggest keeping a behaviour log of misbehaviour or careless work. report the misconduct and make the kid in mention sign it along with the sub.. then hand it over to the regular teacher.
if the kids know that their behaviour isnt going to be tollerated and will be accounted for, theyre more reluctant to act up.

hope things go okay for you.

(Larry, I'm still a teen too...nineteen still counts, right?)

cherish
since 2001-03-25
Posts 1639
8 posted 2003-02-06 03:05 AM

daniel...you could be mistaken for being british with that vocab

poohbear19
since 2003-02-02
Posts 94
Colorado, USA
9 posted 2003-02-06 05:47 PM

Thank you all for your advice. I am taking Psychology and I still can't figure out their behavior. The kids don't do their work when the teacher is there. This substitute is a long term sub and I can tell that he is very frustrated with them. I don't think a behavior log will work because they are too immature to understand that stuff. But thank you all for your advice.

Thank you for your comments about my picture! And for all you guys....I have a boyfriend and I am totally commited to him.

Andrea

PoetryIsLife
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2001-10-27
Posts 1763
...in my boxers...
10 posted 2003-02-06 06:01 PM

Good for you; but, if you don't mind me saying this, you're still gorgeous, and no guy should be afraid to say it. It's just the truth.

~Titus

Es ist gut, daß das Leben die Toten studieren sollte.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Please Help!

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary