navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Pls help me with this-->Poetry has the wisdom of a bow!
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic Pls help me with this-->Poetry has the wisdom of a bow! Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
angelpoet
since 2002-12-28
Posts 1

0 posted 2002-12-28 12:54 PM

my lit prof wants us to write about how we understand this and i can't. hope you guys can help me analyze.pls share your insights. thanks!

© Copyright 2002 angelpoet - All Rights Reserved
Kellie_Cantrell
since 2002-05-22
Posts 1667
New York
1 posted 2002-12-28 01:52 PM

Welcome. I'd help you if you show me what you need help with. Welcome again to passions. i hope you enjoy it here.
ThisDiamond
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-02-22
Posts 9353
Michigan, USA
2 posted 2002-12-28 03:38 PM

Hello and Welcome...

From my perspective Poetry has the wisdom of a bow...to tie the hands of injustice, to decorate the beautiful, to adorn the breathtaking and to ride kite tail on the dreams of the poet.

Hope this helps you...mostly hope to see your talent here. ThisDiamond

Kosetsu
since 2001-03-10
Posts 450
Alabama, USA
3 posted 2002-12-29 12:49 PM

Poetry has the wisdom of a bow.

Perhaps, a play on words. Like a bow, it can send an arrow of words piercing deep into our souls...whether tender and loving as in a romantic poem, or blatant and shocking in one telling a tragic tale.

Likewise, as a bow, it can tie and bind us together. We seek order in rhyme, and in order, belonging.  When mere words cannot express a feeling, perhaps poetic words can.

-Adam

Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
4 posted 2002-12-29 01:24 AM

What about a bow and arrow? The wisdom of the bow is to shoot the arrow straight to its target??
Local Parasite
Deputy Moderator 10 Tours
Member Elite
since 2001-11-05
Posts 2527
Transylconia, Winnipeg
5 posted 2002-12-29 03:06 AM

PdV got it right on.

Poetry is a method.  It has the wisdom of a bow - and a bow has nothing without an arrow.

It has the ability (the "wisdom") to fire the arrow - to make the already sharp arrow sharper, move it faster, that it have a stronger impact.  

Throw an arrow and it won't do much damage... fire it with a bow, and it will.  See how this works with poetry as the bow, content as the arrow, reader as the bull's eye.

Cpat Hair
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-06-05
Posts 11793

6 posted 2002-12-30 05:27 PM

(smiling) Perhaps... the wisdom in a bow ( bend) is that it turns back and looks at itself while not staying in the same place.
Poetry allows us to look backwards from a different place and by doing so, can also help us see what is ahead.
I do however take exception with the statement poetry has the wisdom of a bow...
perhaps It would be better said poetry has the perspective of a bow, or the power of a bow, or the beauty of a bow... wisdom comes from experience and applying what you learned from the experience to the present or the future. To say a bow has wisdom is a stretch for me... one can see it has beauty, and strength and perspective perhaps...but wisdom?

Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
7 posted 2002-12-30 06:13 PM

Like a ribbon of simple cloth, the poet's words can be skillfully twisted and twined and interwoven into something of greater beauty and deeper meaning. And all overt attempts to unravel the artistry of the bow, to learn the secrets of the knots, endangers both beauty and meaning. The poetic bow is a Gordian Knot not easily cut.
Salty
since 2002-11-23
Posts 669
Texas
8 posted 2002-12-31 12:23 PM

Well I believe you came to the right place to ask such a question.  Maybe with the help of all the poets here you will make an A+.  I would give you my two cents, but I think they have all been covered here. Some great ideas for you to work with.
doreen peri
Member Elite
since 1999-05-25
Posts 3812
Virginia
9 posted 2002-12-31 01:33 PM

this is the type of discussion i love to see.

i would love to see an internet forum explicitely for this type of analysis, specifically for analyzing lines and metaphors, the structure of a poem, levels of meaning and how the reader interprets the work.

with just one line, i am reading an influx of beautiful poetic phrases and seeing how people think and how they react to one image..... this is wonderful!

wonder if there's room for one more new forum for poetry analysis and discussion such as this.

here's another... what if it's bow, not bow... what if it's like taking a bow on stage... poetry is like a bowing on life's stage... the poet takes an instance or an image and presents them in a form, with words and phrasing so that the reader can see through his eyes for just a moment ... it is a bowing... a graceful bow to life... the poem is alive, representing life in a living form because it means different things to different people... the poem offers wisdom, bowing on stage

Wind
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2002-10-12
Posts 2981

10 posted 2003-01-05 03:41 PM

poetry is flexible: it bends easilly and the way it bends depends on the archer. But it takes skill to use a bow, and if you simply pull it and let go, the arrow will go nowhere. So perhaps it is not that poetry has the wisdom, but that it needs the wisdom.

Never be normal!

[This message has been edited by Wind (01-05-2003 03:44 PM).]

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Pls help me with this-->Poetry has the wisdom of a bow!

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary