navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » and speaking of egg nog...
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic and speaking of egg nog... Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

0 posted 2002-12-11 01:59 PM

Is there a holiday tradition that you could REALLY do without?

do share..

and somebody? take my egg nog, PLEASE.

AND? I was just wondering who thought of this stuff and found this through google:
http://www.kitchenproject.com/history/eggnoghistory.htm

© Copyright 2002 serenity blaze - All Rights Reserved
Cpat Hair
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-06-05
Posts 11793

1 posted 2002-12-11 02:05 PM

egg nog? YUCK!!!!!!!!

COULD DO WITHOUT?  probably more than people want to know.

Salty
since 2002-11-23
Posts 669
Texas
2 posted 2002-12-11 02:11 PM

I don't do egg nog....sorry you got to drink it all.  

hmmm to do without? I can't think of any I want to do without.  I am like a child at Christmas.  One thing that is a small thing, but I really love it. We get bottled
cokes starting on Christmas eve. They are so much better, and I look forward to them every year.  I usually let my kids start drinking them around 5 or 6 in the evening and then we have chips and dips .  I think I almost enjoy that more the Christmas dinner.  I even bought my kids this gigantic bank that looks like a coca-cola bottle.  WE can really get into our cokes

WEll you didn't ask this question though did you?  I just decided to share it with you anyway.  

Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
3 posted 2002-12-11 02:18 PM

I detest eggnog and get this, I just finished baking 12 (heavier than brick) fruitcakes, which I detest too.  I cut them into portions, tie it up with pretty ribbons, etc and they go to people at the hospital who probably hate fruitcake as much as I do as a giveaway at the Christmas Party.  So all that fermented fruit and hours of preparation is going to be in someone's garbage for no later than 7:00 p.m. tonight and I do this at their request every darn year!  I bet they would rather have anything but that fruitcake.  However I see they sure wolf down the shortbread i tell you  

bsquirrel
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-01-03
Posts 7855

4 posted 2002-12-11 02:40 PM

Egg nog and Knob Creek -- two great tastes that taste great together.

I'm probably going to be helping with tamales this year at my aunt's. That's a tradition I *can't* do without.

However, her mother-in-law can't make menudo for anything. And yet, here we will sit, drinking the vile innards of the bowl. :p

I revealed too much.

Mikey

Duncan
Member Ascendant
since 2001-08-07
Posts 5455

5 posted 2002-12-11 03:27 PM

I love eggnog!  
Dark Angel
Member Patricius
since 1999-08-04
Posts 10095

6 posted 2002-12-11 03:33 PM

Hmmm I have NEVER had egg nog.. thanks for the link Gorgeous, I havent even heard of it until I came to passions 3 years ago, and looking at the recipes I lerveee what's in them lol...Bourbon, Dark Rum and Cognac
yuuummmyyyyyy

Maree

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
7 posted 2002-12-11 03:51 PM

Hmmmm....a couple of decades back my Mom experimented with a drink that she understood to be called "Glug".  French Vanilla Ice Cream [I believe], two or three different liquors with raisins, cinnamon sticks, etc.  Ice cream was melted with the booze, then put in the 'frig for some hours.  It developed a crust.  To serve, the crust is broken through and the cold drink is served and immediately warms people up.  I believe the way the story went, three drinks could put a large man under the table rapidly.

Seems to me she either had the name wrong, or I'm just not having luck finding the recipe...

bsquirrel
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-01-03
Posts 7855

8 posted 2002-12-11 06:29 PM

Ooo! That's it, everyone storm over to Karilea's house for the holidays!

glugluglugluglug...

Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
9 posted 2002-12-11 06:33 PM

Glug
8 ounces water
1 cup raisins
3 cinnamon sticks
5 whole cloves
12 cardamom seeds
2 dry orange peels
Boil ingredients for 10 minutes in saucepan, then add:

1 gallon port wine
One 750-ml. bottle brandy
16 ounces rum
1/2 cup sugar

Bring to boil and let simmer 1 minute then turn off burner and ignite. Allow the mix to burn for about 15 seconds. Serve hot.

[This message has been edited by Poet deVine (12-11-2002 06:35 PM).]

bsquirrel
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-01-03
Posts 7855

10 posted 2002-12-11 06:57 PM

A full gallon of port???? Wow, this stuff doesn't mess around.
garysgirl
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2002-09-29
Posts 19237
Florida, USA
11 posted 2002-12-11 09:15 PM

Karen... OOOOOHHHHH...... eggnog....

Yuck......

It taste like raw eggs to me.......

And that drink Karilea and Sharon are talking about sounds like it could put  ANYBODY  under the table after a drink or two.....    

~Ethel~

garysgirl
Member Laureate
since 2002-09-29
Posts 19237
Florida, USA
12 posted 2002-12-11 09:17 PM

Oh, and Nancy Lee, I could do without the fruitcake, too...the regular kind, that is.
I make an "icebox fruitcake"  that I love, though.   Yummy......  
Have you ever ate it? I'd send you some of it, but I can't get it into this stupid monitor sitting in front of me.....  HaHa!!

Salty.....looks like there are more  COKE  drinkers here. I  LOVE  Coca Cola (the real thing), and Diet Coke, and Vanilla Coke (regular and diet)....
Hey, maybe we could do a Coca Cola commercial????

And...... I love chips and dip, too...Ruffles potatoe chips ( or other wavy, dip style ones) and onion or ranch dip. What kind do you like???
BTW, I ran out, does anybody have some chips and dip that you can pass through your computer screen to me???

Hey, Paul, where are you????? Come on back and join us here....

~Ethel~

[This message has been edited by garysgirl (12-12-2002 05:50 AM).]

Paul Wilson
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2002-07-07
Posts 4711
United States
13 posted 2002-12-19 12:11 PM

For the life of me I can't see why people grown & other wise spend their hard earned money on FIRE WORKS during most holidays, when they could do many more worth while things with this money. I could give a page full of examples but all we have to do is search our hearts to find many better ways to spend this money. It's like lighting a match to it.I would rather see a smile on a needy family's face handing them food to eat than to see a child watching fireworks in the sky. Christmas isn't about fireworks, it's about sharing and giving. ..Paul

" To share my poems with you is to share my heart with you "

[This message has been edited by Paul Wilson (12-20-2002 12:17 AM).]

Siofra
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2000-09-28
Posts 551
State of Suspended Passion
14 posted 2002-12-19 12:33 PM

I love eggnog, although I didn't used to.

I don't like it very thick. I have discovered that some brands make it entirely too thick. My favorite brands?

Land O Lakes
Dairy Fresh

"My ears have not yet drunk a hundred words
Of that tongue’s uttering, yet I know the sound:" "Romeo and Juliet"

Kielo
since 2002-02-11
Posts 1109

15 posted 2002-12-19 12:36 PM

Since this thread has bothered to resurface itself (Threads have lives of their own... did you know?), I have decided to reply to it (It forced me).

Milk of chicken! (Direct translation from French)

Kielo

(Ok, I think I really am going crazy... aieyaieyaie...)

I know only one thing, and that thing is that I know nothing.

[This message has been edited by Kielo (12-19-2002 12:37 AM).]

quietlydying
since 2001-06-10
Posts 935
the wonderful land of oz
16 posted 2002-12-19 12:43 PM

ugh, egg nog.  just the thought makes me shudder.

didn't you ask about traditions we'd rather do without?  well i guess i'll start a trend.

- pretending to get along with family.
- having to ignore your mother crying again this year because she hates her family or her family hates her.
- sitting on the couch in the corner because the family thinks your crazy and doesn't really want to talk to you.
- feeling all bloated at the end of the day because you ate too much choclate.
- your aunt making fun of you because you ate too much chocolate.
- oh, and shopping.  i hate shopping.

and so it goes on...

well, those were the lovely memories of christmas past.  this year the family has just given up and now really doesn't care about talking anymore.

it's much better this way.  

anyone else for lame holiday traditions?

/jen/

'i don't care if it hurts, i want to have control.  i want a perfect body, i want a perfect soul.'  [radiohead]

garysgirl
Member Laureate
since 2002-09-29
Posts 19237
Florida, USA
17 posted 2002-12-19 03:42 AM

Hi Paul, good to see you back......  

"Love makes the world go around"
~~with love and hugs from Ethel~~  

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

18 posted 2002-12-19 04:20 AM

I hate the plastic.

and tinsel--that slimy stuff that never really goes away--until you do an autopsy on your dead vacuum cleaner.

And if anybody EVER sprays that fake snow crap on my windows again? I will clean it off with their nose hairs.

Fresh pine scent--in a can!!!

Kathie Lee Gifford Christmas Specials.
QUICK CLICK.

The colorized version of "It's a Wonderful Life" drives me nuts too.

The daily notice of "only blah blah shopping days left till xmas!"

Reindeer droppings clogging my storm gutters.

Elves who don't know when the party is over.

Those constant phone calls from Mrs. Claus looking for her hubby. (I am starting to take "Ho, Ho, Ho," personally I tell ya!)

And the plastic. Did I mention the plastic?

suthern
Member Seraphic
since 1999-07-29
Posts 20723
Louisiana
19 posted 2002-12-19 09:24 AM

ROFLMAO @ serenity's nose hair srubbies... what a fitting punishment for offenders! LOL That crud is actually on some of my windows... but only because I've been unable to erase the evidence previous tenants left after a YEAR of scrubbing??? ARGH!!!!
Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
Purgatorial Incarceration
20 posted 2002-12-19 11:21 AM

rofl! (Jen - you can come to my house this Christmas if you'd like... we never have to pretend we like each other. )

My family has decided to break with a long-standing tradition this year. When I suggested it to my sister (who is our family get-together coordinator), she had to sit for a moment in shock, because frankly, the idea had never occurred to her. My idea: Have Christmas this year... on Christmas Day. Shocking, I know, breaks years and years of tradition. I'm such a rebel!

[This message has been edited by Christopher (12-19-2002 11:21 AM).]

Salty
since 2002-11-23
Posts 669
Texas
21 posted 2002-12-19 11:42 AM

Oh Christopher we are BIG on having Christmas on Christmas lol. When I was a child I woke up several times a night Christmas eve.....We all had to get up and go see if Santa had come yet.  The anticipation was half the fun.  I think you have a really cool idea. Funny that no one had ever thought of it before. Good thing they have you around.
Jaime
Registered
Posts 250

22 posted 2002-12-19 05:53 PM

First, I'd like to say that I despise egg nog.

Every year my family (even the cats) go to TN where my dad's family lives. They cook absurdly large amounts of food that spread throughout the entire house, everyone comes over, and we just relax. No stress.

I don't like the tradition of people buying real trees. Oh yay, let's cut down a tree, stick it in our house, put lights all over it.. all for one stinkin' day.. and then throw it out. Yeah, that makes sense. Just buy a fake one. (Sorry, I'm a tree lover.)

Shopping during the holiday season... absolutely not. I don't have enough patience for that. I shop in July.

Christmas parties. Does anybody really have fun at those things?

Corny songs that people write supposedly about Christmas... gross.

All in all.. I love Christmas.

Life is where you look for it.

Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
Purgatorial Incarceration
23 posted 2002-12-19 06:07 PM

lol - Salty: we used to be when I was much younger. But with the inclusion of girlfriends (i have two brothers) and then nephews and nieces, it proved much easier for mom to have Christmas on a day other than the 25th. That way everyone could spend time with girlfriends/wives/kids' families, then all get together at mom's for a late celebration. not a bad idea overall on mom's part.
Paul Wilson
Member Elite
since 2002-07-07
Posts 4711
United States
24 posted 2002-12-20 12:23 PM

I'm with Jen on having fake relations with family and friends ONE DAY a year, if you don't care enough about someone to have a regular relationship with them the other 364 days in the year why bother with one day.
Do you just think about God and Jesus ONE day a year, is that any type of relationship to have?   Paul

P.S. Hi Ethel
I'm not writting much lately but I do manage to reply often.

" To share my poems with you is to share my heart with you "

Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
25 posted 2002-12-20 01:14 AM

I am a hopeless Christmas fanatic. I buy Christmas gifts year round (pack them away never to be found).

I have a CLOSET stuffed with holiday decorations - a 7 foot fake tree and various huge fake wreaths.

I collect Santa Claus'. Because he gives and gives and doesn't ask for anything in return (unlike Uncle Sam!).

It's the only time of the year when most people are kind to others, even store clerks.

(there are exceptions to this rule but those people are just rude year round so they don't count)

I don't like egg nog - blech!

I like candy canes - real ones not the 'designer' flavors (who ever heard of Pina Colada Candy Canes at the North Pole? The Elves would be drunk all the time!)

I love Chex Mix - made by me.

I love the song 'Mary's Boy Child' by Boney M.

But most of all, I love the look the eyes of a child when they see a lit tree for the first time...or they see 'Santa'....or they get a gift that thrills them. In that moment, we know there is an innocence that should be cherished.

Merry Christmas.

Sudhir Iyer
Member Ascendant
since 2000-04-26
Posts 6943
Mumbai, India : now in Belgium
26 posted 2002-12-20 04:11 AM

!! uh-oh !!
glugOglugOglugOglugOglugOglugOglugOglugOglugOglugOglugOglugOglugOglugOglug

quietlydying
since 2001-06-10
Posts 935
the wonderful land of oz
27 posted 2002-12-20 11:12 AM

woo hoo!!

i'm goin' to christopher's house for christmas!!

::packs her bags::

/jen/

'i don't care if it hurts, i want to have control.  i want a perfect body, i want a perfect soul.'  [radiohead]

garysgirl
Member Laureate
since 2002-09-29
Posts 19237
Florida, USA
28 posted 2002-12-21 02:14 AM

Christopher, if I couldn't be at my parents house on Christmas, my Mom would just have everything without me.  You're lucky that your Mom  LET'S you all get together at some other time besides Christmas day.  

Sharon, my late husband and I collected Santa Clause's and Mrs. Santa Claus. They're all over the house......snoring one on bed, one's in rocking chairs, one's holding candles, sitting on a love seat snoring,  etc.......     

Paul, why aren't you writing lately? I love to read your poetry.....  

~Ethel~  

[This message has been edited by garysgirl (12-21-2002 02:19 AM).]

SEA
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Seraphic
since 2000-01-18
Posts 22676
with you
29 posted 2002-12-21 02:26 AM

ok, egg nogg...ummm no. that would be gack for me, and no brandy would be enough to mask that taste, I will take my brandy neat, thank you.  

and growing up, my folks could never wait till Christmas day, we always did it like 2 weeks early. Now that I am married, Jon does Christmas on Christmas morning, period, the end.   I am not a patient person, but I have to say, I love waiting. Anticipation is a good thing  

As far as traditions that I could do without???? Nope, none that I can think of, except that egg nogg stuff....bleck.....  

[This message has been edited by SEA (12-21-2002 02:28 AM).]

Elizabeth
Member Ascendant
since 1999-06-07
Posts 6871
Minnesota
30 posted 2002-12-24 12:01 PM

Egg nog and fruitcake...nope, don't care for them.

God bless America, my home sweet home.

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
31 posted 2002-12-24 02:34 AM

Give Duncan my share of eggnog.
And while your at it? Give the fruitcake to the nearest Habitiat for Humanity. I heard they need more bricks.
Funny thread Karen!
Oh, and I'm absolutely repulsed by plastic trees and plastic tinsel.
But I confess, I love gingerbread cookies with Kahlua and milk! Sick, huh?

CloudedDreams
since 2002-11-23
Posts 210
My Fantasy Realm
32 posted 2002-12-24 03:54 PM

I love eggnog, it is better if you dillute it some w/milk.  I dun like puutin' up lights cause I get cussed out by my dad when i accedentally plavce lights somewhere wrong....lol
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » and speaking of egg nog...

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary