navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Musical inspiration
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic Musical inspiration Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Wind
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2002-10-12
Posts 2981

0 posted 2002-11-12 08:37 PM

Does anyone have a song that helps them write poetry? If I can't think I listen to songs with a lot of rythem and backround music, and what do ya know, I get poetry! It really, really works. I want to see some other people's inspiration. I'll tell you if you tell me.... (now I'm sounding like Serenity)

"Sticks and stones will break my bones,
But words will break my heart"

© Copyright 2002 Liz - All Rights Reserved
Skyfire
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-12-27
Posts 3381
Riding
1 posted 2002-11-12 10:18 PM

The Chocobo song *grins at Vicky and Alex* I don't usually have musical inspiration; my inspiration is generally emotional :/

I am a Knight who says Ni!

Mistletoe Angel
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
2 posted 2002-11-13 12:01 PM

(smiles) I love all kinds of music, but Shakira is my main muse! She is an amazing poet with much youth, charisma, and an innocent sensuality in her blood that deeply inspires me! As you may have noticed, Underneath Your Clothes lyrics are used as my signature on Passions posts of mine! Yay!

May love and light always shine upon you!

Love,
Noah Eaton

"Underneath your clothes there's an endless story..."

Shakira

Wind
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2002-10-12
Posts 2981

3 posted 2002-11-13 07:39 AM

You guys are so sweet. i love music, and when I cant think, I pop in my favorite cd, but you guys couldn't hear it because it is a mix

Marshalzu
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2001-02-15
Posts 2681
Lurking
4 posted 2002-11-13 10:05 AM

"I'll Still Write" - The Cooper Temple Clause. It's been the inspiration to many of my poems.

Kielo
since 2002-02-11
Posts 1109

5 posted 2002-11-13 01:19 PM

I'm going to agree with Skyfire... Emotion inspires me. However, I sometimes find it easier to write while listening to music... Usually wordless music, because otherwise I end up singing, and then I can't write... lol...

Kielo

According to statistics, a man eats a prune every twenty seconds. I don't know who this fellw is, but I know where to find him.
-Morey Amsterdam

majnu
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
since 2002-10-13
Posts 1088
SF Bay Area
6 posted 2002-11-13 01:24 PM

i like baroque for intense writing.

otherwise i constantly have music going while i am at my desk, and my tastes are quite eclectic so it is hard to be specific.

faves:
knopfler/dire straits
pinkfloyd
sade
bonethugz in harmony
nusrat fateh ali khan
satriani
plant
doors

-majnu
--------------------------------------
Timid thoughts be not afraid. I am a Poet.

brian madden
Member Elite
since 2000-05-06
Posts 4374
ireland
7 posted 2002-11-13 05:25 PM

oh yes, music is a big influence on my writing, whether it is trying to write in a certain lyricists style or being inspired by the mood of a certain song, then there is the misheard lyrics, which can provide some great images or starting points.
When i am stuck on a poem i usually put on some Leonard Cohen, Nick Cave, or Tom Waits, Joy Division and sometimes the Doors.

I used to make phantoms I could later chase images of all that could be desired then I got tired of counting all of these blessings"h.devoto magazine

Allysa
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
since 1999-11-09
Posts 1952
In an upside-down garden
8 posted 2002-11-15 11:13 AM

Favorites:
Wizo,
the Beatles,
The Goo-goo dolls
Matchbox 20
Jewel
whatever concoction my friend Allie can come up with...
Mixes I have made,
Covers of old songs,
a Hanson dr. Pepper jingle (it cracks me up)
and many more absurd things.

"Wie ein Quadrat in einem Kreis, eck' ich immer wieder an obwohl ich doch schon lange weiß, daß ich niemals ändern kann." ~Wizo

Mistletoe Angel
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
9 posted 2002-11-15 03:14 PM

(smiles) Though I turn off the radio every time I write a poem unless it is a tribute to the artist him or herself, I always listen to music otherwise. I believe music is the universal language, which possesses a harmony and spiritual connection that so many other aspects of life lacks. The only kind of music I don't listen to is that which is racially offensive, or that where the lyrics may be outstanding yet the noise is so loud and the harmony is disrupted. Therefore, I think music is the most gorgeous gift to our children and it will always be thus for their childrens children and so on!

Shakira is my favorite artist because not only she is extremely talented in many areas, with her poetic songwriting for someone so young, singing, guitar-playing, harmonica-playing, belly-dancing, and charismatic, youthful, and friendly attitude, she has also brought about a sensational worldly diversity and the respect for all cultures, as she comes from the Latin world yet inherits a Lebanese ancestry from her dad so she knows much of the Middle Eastern Culture, English-speaking cultures, and history. She is truly an epitome for the youth of today, and why I adore her so much!

But I love many other artists also, for I love all rock and roll, jazz, and world music. I love much classic rock, like Led Zeppelin, The Doors, The Beatles, John Melencamp, The Who, Bob Dylan and Bruce Springsteen. I also love classic country and many of the blues. In addition, Counting Crows have long been an inspiration to me, as well as matchbox twenty, Dave Matthews Band, David Gray, John Mayer, Santana, and U2. I also listen to much world music, including Machu Picchu flute music, salsa, merengue, Celtic music, mariachi, and Asian.

Furthermore, I am growing to be a songwriter, for I want to give something to the children of the world. I am learning guitar frequently and post many of my lyrics across the boards here!

Yay for music!!! Yay!!!

Love,
Noah Eaton

"Underneath your clothes there's an endless story..."

Shakira

[This message has been edited by Mistletoe Angel (11-15-2002 03:15 PM).]

Wind
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2002-10-12
Posts 2981

10 posted 2002-11-15 04:22 PM

If you sing as well as you write Noah, you could change the world. i write songs too. its fun to have a tune with your poetry...

quietlydying
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2001-06-10
Posts 935
the wonderful land of oz
11 posted 2002-11-16 06:44 PM

chamechamechamechamechamechameeeeeeleon.

red gold and greeeeeeeeeen...

red gold and greeeeeeeEEeeen.

and so it goes.

hahaha.  

/jen/

i'm so bitterly disappointed.  betty, i think it's time you leave now.

Wind
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2002-10-12
Posts 2981

12 posted 2002-11-16 07:36 PM

Ha we're playing that song in band. Can you say torture! that song is FIVE minutes long and I have a stinkin solo at the end when I am allready exausted.... It sounds pretty cool though. (well, not the way we butcher it, but the actual song)

neveah5
since 2002-11-22
Posts 197
Ohio
13 posted 2002-11-27 12:32 PM

Fionna Apple

enough said!!  

Kielo
since 2002-02-11
Posts 1109

14 posted 2002-11-27 10:59 AM

And so it goes? That's a great song... My friend sings it.

Kielo

According to statistics, a man eats a prune every twenty seconds. I don't know who this fellow is, but I know where to find him.
-Morey Amsterdam

Jaime
Registered
Posts 250

15 posted 2002-12-05 11:22 PM

The music never stops in my room...

It's a combination of experience, perception, emotion, imagination, and music. I just let them wander.  

i was here

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Musical inspiration

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary