navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Halloween (whats so scary about it?) topic discussion
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic Halloween (whats so scary about it?) topic discussion Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
anawnda
since 2002-07-26
Posts 113

0 posted 2002-10-31 05:51 AM

this is not a poem, i just wanted to start a discussion about "Halloween" , i mean ghosts and goblins are not really that scary if you compare it to stuff that happens in real life, i find serial killers and muggers scary, i find lawsuits and getting heartbroken scarier, so whats the big deal about halloween???? its a good excuse though to go around cavorting in costumes and getting candy if thats still your idea of fun, or like partying till dawn but seriously, why do they make scary movies that's like somehow related to this particular day? i did research and found out christmas is scarier and a lot of crimes, deaths especially suicide rates go up around this holiday. anyway hope to hear your comments and views on this .

© Copyright 2002 anawnda - All Rights Reserved
Opeth
since 2001-12-13
Posts 1543
The Ravines
1 posted 2002-10-31 11:54 AM

Is it scary? If you are a child, it can be, however I think the day is more of a "fun" day for kids and adults alike, rather than scary day.

As for the big deal...it may be a big deal for kids because of the candy they receive, and it could be a big deal for adults because of its controversy.

[This message has been edited by Opeth (10-31-2002 11:57 AM).]

Kielo
since 2002-02-11
Posts 1109

2 posted 2002-10-31 01:25 PM

The big deal about Halloween is its history.

From my limited knowledge, it started out hundreds of years ago as Hallow's Eve. Hallow's Eve was a night when spirits might come and bring bad luck to a household, so people burned candles by their door, so the light would keep the spirits - dark, of course - away. The candle has evolved into the Jack-o-lantern, and spirits to ghost costumes. The reason the Jack-o-lantern has its unusual name is that there was a man named Jack, acording to legend, who carried a lantern. I don't remember the exact story, but everyone was afraid of him.

So that's why Halloween is seen as a scary day. Feelings last longer than rituals.

(My history may be off a little, because I heard it a few years ago. I think I got the basic idea, but if I messed up the details, please correct me.)

Kielo

I don't care if you're an old fart, because old people are smarter than me.

-Me. (reply in the Alley)

Opeth
since 2001-12-13
Posts 1543
The Ravines
3 posted 2002-10-31 01:41 PM

That's pretty much a part of the history of halloween...it is kind of like Santa Claus. Thousands of years ago the Chinese would teach their children that if they did not behave a "red" spirit would come in through the chimney and kill them.
brian madden
Member Elite
since 2000-05-06
Posts 4374
ireland
4 posted 2002-10-31 01:50 PM

Halloween was celebrated by pagans (celtic pagans I believe) and in ancient times in Ireland it was believed to be the night that the dead returned to visit their loved ones.
The tradition of wearing masks and dressing up was a means to warn off real demons.
So there is nothing really scary about halloween, it was a day of religious significance that had its customs assimilated by modern culture and turned into a holiday, much like Christmas (not starting any debates here about the existance or birth of Jesus. As his date of birth is supposely not even in Decemeber, the 25th of December was a pagan holiday...anyway that is another story).

The ladders of life that we scale merrily Move mysteriously around So that when you think you're climbing up, man In fact you're climbing down-Nick ca

cherish
since 2001-03-25
Posts 1639
swimming in fairy floss...........
5 posted 2002-10-31 09:12 PM

Opeth...Nana used to scare me into eating by telling me a man with a sack would come and carry me away; I dont believe that anymore BUT my grammie once told me that these little creatures called Christmas Beetles would crawl into my ear and incubate their  eggs  in my ear canal....and I still believe it *shudders*

Are you scared?                            BOO! Are you now?

Opeth
since 2001-12-13
Posts 1543
The Ravines
6 posted 2002-11-01 12:25 PM

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Halloween (whats so scary about it?) topic discussion

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary