navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » RPGs...On the Computer or around a table?
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic RPGs...On the Computer or around a table? Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Siofra
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2000-09-28
Posts 551
State of Suspended Passion

0 posted 2002-09-20 03:46 PM

Okay. I LOVE roleplaying games, although I am just stuck on Dungeons and Dragons because all the other stuff is just too weird and complicated for me. BUT...Every time I speak to someone about these kinds of games I figure we're on the right track as far as something in common until they tell me they play them on the computer. YUCK!! Just plain YUCK!! Maybe its the child in me? I ADORE sitting around a table with a bunch of people with my books, paper, manuals, dice, food, and over all...lots of creative individuals.  The talking, the goofing off...the jesting...discussing moves, discussing plans of attack or defense, etc. Am I making sense? What the heck happened to sitting around a table instead of banging away on a keyboard, anyways? I suppose what I'm saying is that that the gamers who love computer games are seperate from the gamers who still love sitting around the table with a group ready for a story and an adventure..and the company of real people. Hope I haven't babbled. Some of the discussions on here just made me start thinking about this.

What do you like more? Sitting in front of a computer or around a table? I think the second one excercises the imagination a lot better than the first.

"My ears have not yet drunk a hundred words
Of that tongue’s uttering, yet I know the sound:" "Romeo and Juliet"

© Copyright 2002 Siofra - All Rights Reserved
Miah
since 2002-08-26
Posts 1062
Pennsylvania
1 posted 2002-09-20 04:09 PM

Siofra,
Personally, I enjoy both.  I actually like sitting at the computer with my boyfriend watching some of his games, I really enjoyed American McGee's Alice for the computer,  and Clive Barker's Undying.  However, I really love to just sit around the kitchen tabel (especially if it's raining) and talk to my friends and family.  I think I like both the same.

thanks  

anya
since 2002-07-27
Posts 393
London, UK
2 posted 2002-09-20 04:28 PM

I know what you mean Siofra, there is nothing like a good game of Dungeons and Dragons, is something i do with my older brothers and my sister, kind of a family tradition. You are also right I am sure that it would not be as good on a computer, but then again nothing ever is is it.
brian madden
Member Elite
since 2000-05-06
Posts 4374
ireland
3 posted 2002-09-21 11:07 AM

I can't say I have ever played roleplaying around the table, RPG's is not really that big in Ireland. I have played War hammer's hero quest. I tried a few of the computer  games, but they try my patience, too complicated and the flow of the game is not that smooth. I heard Alice is a good game, though. Oh I like Dungeon Keeper, I guess that is an RPG compuer game.  

Too early for the rainbow, too early for the dove These are the final days, this is the darkness, this is the flood
L cohen

Android 17
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2001-07-21
Posts 664
Winnipeg
4 posted 2002-09-22 12:57 PM

D & D was okay...however---I'm TOTTALLY in love with the Final Fantasy games...

Others are too in love with the sound of their own voice to speak the truth...

Moon Dust
Member Elite
since 1999-06-11
Posts 2177
Skelmersdale, UK
5 posted 2002-09-22 07:28 PM

nah I like straty games on the computer. You can other people play as well and talk too them while your playing. But I was brought up with computers and played with them ever since I can remeber. So thats probably why

If your afraid of the dark, then why did you come?

Android 17
since 2001-07-21
Posts 664
Winnipeg
6 posted 2002-09-23 12:29 PM

I love those too! ^_^

Here I am, I am your child...lying safe and warm. In your womb...for I am, the unwated life......

cherish
since 2001-03-25
Posts 1639
swimming in fairy floss...........
7 posted 2002-09-24 05:00 AM

cyber anyone? haha...just thought I might chuck that one in there

Are you scared? BOO! Are you now?

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » RPGs...On the Computer or around a table?

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary