navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Books/comics into movies
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic Books/comics into movies Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
JasonE
since 2002-09-14
Posts 17

0 posted 2002-09-19 10:50 PM

Here is a question.  Out of all the novels or comic books that were turned into movies, which ones do you feel did justice to the books/comics?

© Copyright 2002 JasonE - All Rights Reserved
Miah
since 2002-08-26
Posts 1062
Pennsylvania
1 posted 2002-09-19 11:22 PM

Spiderman

I personally Liked the webshooters in the movie.

Skyfire
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-12-27
Posts 3381
Riding
2 posted 2002-09-19 11:36 PM

Spiderman "Go web!!" LMAO. I also thought Lord of the Rings was done well. Very well. *grins* I mean, there were a few things that were missing, or that I would have changed, but I can't always have Elijah Wood out of work, now can I? I thought Harry Potter was VERY well done, considering the fact that JK Rowling gave the approval for everything. *grins* I can't wait till November 16 lol!

I have a lizard, and his name is Jake.

Miah
since 2002-08-26
Posts 1062
Pennsylvania
3 posted 2002-09-19 11:41 PM

OMGersh, I can't believe I forgot Harry Potter, Thanks Skyfire for reminding me. Harry Potter was Awesome.  
Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
Purgatorial Incarceration
4 posted 2002-09-19 11:50 PM

Spidey was pretty cool - i'm just curious to see how Daredevil turns out... considering he's being played by none other than... uhm, Ben Affleck???
Miah
since 2002-08-26
Posts 1062
Pennsylvania
5 posted 2002-09-20 11:55 AM

I saw the trailor for Daredevil with Ben in it, he has brown hair, isn't Daredevil supposed to be blond?

anya
since 2002-07-27
Posts 393
London, UK
6 posted 2002-09-20 11:56 AM

Harry Potter? you are joking right, I mean I loved the books being the overgrown 10 year old that I am but i thought the film was rubbish, I took all my will power not to fall asleep during it. I thought Lord of the Rings was done wonderfully though,

All I seem to able to think about is all the books that have been done so badly, I have a list as long as your arm,

Anya

Sudhir Iyer
Member Ascendant
since 2000-04-26
Posts 6943
Mumbai, India : now in Belgium
7 posted 2002-09-20 12:08 PM

I am currently reading The Lord of the Rings... and I think the movie was very well made based on an excellent book...

Regards,
Sudhir

brian madden
Member Elite
since 2000-05-06
Posts 4374
ireland
8 posted 2002-09-20 01:20 PM

I didn't like Spidey was very disappointed either did I like Lord of the rings..is there something wrong with me?

OK first comics to films,

Batman, Batman returns. They have be the most successful cross overs.

I hear Ghost world is a good movie.

Men in black was entertaining, a bit lacking but it was fun.

books to movies.

One flew over the cockoo's nest

Apocalyse now. I never read Heart of darkness. but Apoc. is one of my favourite films.

Clockwork orange.

1984 (the film had John Hurt, Richard Burton as O'Brien.

Fightclub.

Crash.

There has to be more but I can't think of them right now.

Too early for the rainbow, too early for the dove These are the final days, this is the darkness, this is the flood
L cohen

[This message has been edited by brian madden (09-20-2002 01:21 PM).]

JasonE
since 2002-09-14
Posts 17

9 posted 2002-09-20 02:18 PM

Thanks for the replies so far.  Miah, I agree with you spiderman was good, they did change somethings but being a spiderman fan and having tons of the comic books I feel overall they did a good job.  Also yeah how could you forget Harry Potter, lol.  

Chris, I am also looking forward to Daredevil.  Though they already have done some mistakes.  First like Miah said Matt Murrdock has blond hair.  Though I think there were episodes that he had light brown.  But that is not so bad and I do like Ben Affleck.  What they did mess up is Kingpin.  Though I do like Micheal Clark Duncan, Kingpin is white.  I guess no one is big enough to play Kingpin, lol.  Its still cool and I am sure the movie will be fun.  I am just a stickler for if you are going to do it do it right or not at all.  Somethings I let slide though.  Not that my opinion has any merrit with Hollywood, ha ha ha.

Anya, you did not like Harry Potter?  I can see why in some points but overall I felt they did a good job.  They did cut out some parts but hell the movie is already over 2 hours. I love the books too and I felt the movie did do justice whith what they have shown.  Its cool though and thanks for sharing.

Sudhir Lyer, I agree with Lord of the Rings. That movie was fantastic.  

Brian, I agree with everything you said.  But for the Spiderman and Batman.  Spiderman to me was almost perfect.  Toby McGuire played Peter really well.  That is pretty much how he acts in the comic book.  Mary Jane was played well too.  That is how she always acted towards Peter.  Just a friend until later.  They did cut out Gwen Stacy and the webshooters which was alittle bad, but not many people know of Gwen and the way the webshooters were organic was a cool idea.  The sceen were Mary Jane is kissing Spiderman upside down is straight from the comic, that was cool.  As for Batman the first one was good.  Close to the comic, but part 2 was off.  First the Penguin does not look like a Penguin.  He is a short, fat little man.  Also Catwomen is not that nuts. Other then that Michelle played her well.  The movie was good don't get me wrong I just was really upset about Oswald Cobblepot looking like a Penguin, that was bad.  Anyway Thanks for your replies and sorry about the book I am writting here, he he he.  I love movies.  Later  

Miah
since 2002-08-26
Posts 1062
Pennsylvania
10 posted 2002-09-21 12:30 PM

ooooo, Lord of the Rings, diden't read the book, but I thought it was a great movie. I can't wait to see Stephen King's Dream Catcher.  
brian madden
Member Elite
since 2000-05-06
Posts 4374
ireland
11 posted 2002-09-21 08:51 AM

I am in rant mood so here goes my problems with spiderman, I have read some of the comics have some idea what I am waffling on about.
Toby McGuire was perfect in the role, in fact the first half of the film works the well. The wrestling bit, some dark moments in that part of the film surrounding the hunt for the killer (don't want to give too much away to those who haven't seen it).
JJ Jameson is perfect in it, the funniest part of the film is when Parker tries to get the photographer's job. Then it just goes pear shaped.
Willaim Dafoe is scarier without the green goblin costume (and the design is terrible, more funny that scary). His descent into madness could have been played out better, a bit darker. (then it would be less suitable for kids). The part with the floats, at the party, completely unnecessary.    
I agree about the relationship between Mary Jane and Peter, it was handled well.
I hear Doc Oct is going to be in the sequel. When is venom going to be in it, I wonder. That would make a great story.

Oh yes I forgot X-Men the movie, a few faults too, but I thought it was better than Spidey.
I hear they are making Batman vs Superman. If handled well it will be great, but this is Hollywood
so it is risky.

Too early for the rainbow, too early for the dove These are the final days, this is the darkness, this is the flood
L cohen

hush
since 2001-05-27
Posts 1653
Ohio, USA
12 posted 2002-09-21 12:39 PM

LOL, X-men better than Spiderman? X-men was like, one of the worst movies I have ever seen...

Spidermen... I thought it was pretty good. I thought that the Green Goblin'sdescent into madness was excellently done... very dark...

Now... I have problems with both One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest and A Clockwork Orange, in regards to how they were made from the book to the movie. Both were really good movies- in their own right. However, both completely missed the points of their respective books. Have you read either book? Anthony Burgess has an introduction to the edition of Clockwork Orange the I read, bitching about how Kubrick left out the most intregal point in the book- Alex reforming on his own, without the crazy brainwashing. I'm not too much of a Kubrick fan... but I do ahve to admit that he got the characterization down really well, especially the dialog and dialect...

Anyway, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest is an awesome movie... on its own. But as an adaptation from the book? Very, very different. The book is from Chief's perspective- the movie focused primarily on McMurphy. The movie, in my opinion, was more of a story about one man... and the book focused much mroe on how McMurphy affected Chief, the changes Chief went through...

One other thing about that movie... in the prologue to the book, Chief makes some comments that hint that he didn't really escape... it's... much more open to interpretation than the movie... it had a lot more visual imagery (interesting that the book is more visual than the movie...) and that imagery is coming from the mind of Chief... who is mentally ill and views the world through eyes shaped by the warped world of the ward. The experience really isn't complete without hearing his descriptions of "the combine" and "the big nurse"... as well as the subtle signs of difference in his (and Mac's) characters... just a really interesting book, and I think the movie left out a lot of those components.

Anyway, I haven't actually read a lot of books that i've seen the movies of- it's usually one or the other with me... and the ones I ahve read/seen both... I like the book better, in ever instance I can think of- Clockwork Orange, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Ordinary People, The Shining, The Stand (god, I thought that movie was AWFUL!)... I can't think of any others right now...

'Well, I will not be an enemy of anything
    I'll only stand here'

-Counting Crows

brian madden
Member Elite
since 2000-05-06
Posts 4374
ireland
13 posted 2002-09-21 01:58 PM

Hush, x-men, a bad movie? shock,
what about Spawn, Batman and Robin, the last turtles film... now they were bad.

My problem with Spiderman was I felt Norman Osborne's decent to madness was too rushed, it would have been nice to see more of a moral struggle.. I am not asking for Kafka.

Yes, I have read both Clockwork and One Flew over. Except for the last section the book it fairly faithful. I perfer the film, its stunning visuals and Roddy McDowell's performance is both humourous and chilling.
Also I though Kubrick's ending was better.
"I'm cured, alright."
It made the film more chilling.

I agree that One flew over the cuckoo's nest is a better as a book. While the film is well worth watching, it doesn't have the same edge or paranoia.  

Just remembered Blade runner (directors cut).
Much better than the book "do androids dream of electric sheep".

It is very important to see the director's version, not the studio release.
One: no voiceover narration in the director's cut (the studio thought that the audience wouldn't get the film).

Two: The happy ending ride through the forest at the end in the studio release.
It ruins the entire film.

Boring fact: The studio were unhappy with the ending of Bladerunner and wanted a happy ending, so Ridley Scott used leftover footage from the Shining of the aerial pan
of the forest.  

L cohen

[This message has been edited by brian madden (09-21-2002 01:59 PM).]

Ceinwyn
Member Elite
since 2000-07-09
Posts 2175
VA
14 posted 2002-09-21 02:11 PM

How about "Where the Red Fern Grows" and "Charlotte's Web" both from my childhood nonetheless..but every other book made into a movie does it no justice..but these two methinks did very well! in my opinion of course

Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
15 posted 2002-09-21 03:57 PM

"Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" wasn't a book. Actually, it was a short story by Philip K. Dick, one of those right up there with Asimov for presenting some wildly radical ideas about humanity in robots.

I am in complete agreeance about the costume of the Green Goblin; just look hokey out-and-out. Didn't ruin the movie though, in my opinion. Venom would be cool to see, but that's quite a ways down the road as far as the comic timeline is concerned... of course, they jumped straight to the GG, instead of... trying to remember his name... dang... Morpheus or something - the vampire dude who I think was Spidey's first nemesis (though i could be wrong, lol).

I though X-Men fairly well done. It was obvious that they weren't trying to nail the flick dead-on with the comic. (Reference when Logan asks if [The X-Men] actually go out in the black uniforms, and Scott retorts, "Would you rather wear yellow spandex?") It was fun, which i think was the whole point.

Spawn - blech. We're just not technologically advanced enough yet to match anything drawn by McFarlane. No way, no how.

The Stand - As bad as the movie was (and there were many bad things about it) it was still one of the closest to book movies i've seen. Granted, it took six hours worth of movie, and they still left out a lot, but it came closer than any other. For all that, though, pretty much anything written by Stephen King that became a movie... sucked. Uhm - Lawnmower Man? I'm still trying to figure how they got where they did based on the short story...*confused look*

More bad ones: Pick one by Michael Crichton. Jurrasic Park was cool. Lost world was completely bogus. The premise was so far off the book (uhm, did anyone else notice that Malcom and Hammond DIED in the first book?). Sphere wasn't even that good of a book to begin with, neither was Congo. The movies were worse. Rising Sun was actually about the only decent one out of the bunch, go figure.

The Firm (Grisham) - a highly suspenseful, sincere, horrific book... played by Tom Cruise. Uhm, yeah. In the words of the famed Stan Lee, "'Nuff said." The rest of them - same thing. There is no way to match in a movie what Grisham puts down in a book - too much of it is either internal dialogue, or something that would bore the hell out of movie goers.

What else is there... "Soylent Green" was pretty good (originally "Make Room, Make Room" by Harry Harrison), though I don't think the technology was enough to match the vision from the book. Heh - "Conneticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court" by Mark Twain (though i have to admit to a very strong bias toward anything done by Danny Kaye). The roiginal "Time Machine" (H.G. Wells) movie was actually pretty good, the one with Rod Taylor (i think that was his name) - but the most recent one with Guy Pierce? AR-Double-GH!

Oh, and one more REALLY bad one before i stop rambling - "Starship Troopers." (Heinlein) DOn't get me wrong, the movie was fun as far as action and level of corniness... but in comparison to the book? Argh (again) - i think what they did was read parts of the book, then dumb it down about three notches so as to ensure none of the political, social, or moral message slipped into the movie.

ok, i'll shut up now.

brian madden
Member Elite
since 2000-05-06
Posts 4374
ireland
16 posted 2002-09-21 04:26 PM

The only reason I am responding is to ask
about "Soylent Green"
Is there a quote in the film "Soylent Green is people?" I am curious because it was a reference in the tv series Millennium

In sheer boredom I did a search on the net,
the first spiderman villain was Chameleon. Morbius is the vampire guy.

THanks to http://www.spiderfan.org/characters/
for the info.

As for Spawn, I always thought Greg Capullo
better on the pencilling duties, more gritter. I am retreating to nerdsville now.

L cohen

JasonE
since 2002-09-14
Posts 17

17 posted 2002-09-21 06:28 PM

Right on I love reading your opinions.  OK, Brian, I agree with the Green Goblin suit it was hokey, but like Chris it did not ruin the movie for me.  But it would have been great to see the suit with the green scales and the dirty brown hood.  His goblin flyer was really cool though.  As for his disent into darkness I agree with your thoughts as well.  But I figure the movie was already 2 hours or so long and I guess Ramey ( I think that is the directors last name) just had to shorten that aspect.  Also seeing Doc Ock in the next would be cool, but like you seeing Venom would be great.  The sceen were Spidey is holding up the trolly with the Grenn Goblin atacking was alos straight from the comic.  I mean how many times does Spidey have to deal with that circumstance.  Oh yeah by the way Spawn did suck.  I have tons of that comic and it is one of my favorites.  But from what I hear McFarlane let the producers have the movie if he could have the HBO cartoon series.  Which was really good.

As for Batman and Robin that was not Batman.  Schumocker should be shot for making that film.  In fact if he does another Batman I will not see it.  Maybe I will rent it if I am bored.  Anyone who liked Batman and Robin knows nothing about the comic or Batman.  First look what he did to Blane.  Blane is a millitary genius and broke Batmans back.  He is not a slave to Posion Ivy and has a brain the size of a golf ball.  HUGE mistake.  Also Clooney sucked.  He played Batman really bad.  No passion with the character.  Arnold also sucked.  Mr. Freeze is a little skinny man and does not use ice puns every other word. Anyway I can go on and on but it will just tick me off.  Batman is a great comic and should be done right.

Chris, I agree with you in concerns with X-men.  Brian Spidey was better, but I see your points and I do agree.  Anyway they did alright with Wolverine.  It would be hard for anyone to play that role.  And the actor did an alright job.  Storm sucked big time.  First off Storm is a very strong hearted women and some sceens Halley Berry made her seem weak.  She did look cool when she used her powers but other then that she sucked.  Pro. X was great end of story.  Perfect cast and Stewart did a good job.  Magneto sucked.  He was too old.  The actor played him well though he just did not look the part and it was hard to get passed that.  Everyone else was alright.  Though when did Johnny Storm learn at Xaviers Inst?  I could be wrong.

Anyway I will shut up now and it is cool reading your thoughts.

Kielo
since 2002-02-11
Posts 1109

18 posted 2002-09-21 06:50 PM

*shudders* Sorry, I can't stand that smile. It looks like subliminal advertising. The smile looks like the Nike symbol. Anyway, now that that's out of my system, I thought that LOTR was very well done. Other than that... I really don't know.
JasonE
since 2002-09-14
Posts 17

19 posted 2002-09-21 07:18 PM

Kielo,

LOL, sorry about the smile.  To me it shows a grin, I don't know why I use it. How about this one is this one better?.   batman  

[This message has been edited by JasonE (09-21-2002 07:19 PM).]

Kielo
since 2002-02-11
Posts 1109

20 posted 2002-09-21 07:25 PM

YAYNESS! I love it! Thanks...

Kielo

Miah
since 2002-08-26
Posts 1062
Pennsylvania
21 posted 2002-09-21 08:36 PM

Spiderman is still the coolest.

[This message has been edited by Miah (09-21-2002 09:23 PM).]

Moon Dust
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 1999-06-11
Posts 2177
Skelmersdale, UK
22 posted 2002-09-22 07:46 PM

I liked an interview with a vampire based on ann rice's book. I thought it was an gud un.

If your afraid of the dark, then why did you come?

hush
since 2001-05-27
Posts 1653
Ohio, USA
23 posted 2002-09-23 01:25 PM

Malcom didn't die in the first Jurassic Park book! What are you talking about, Chris? He's the main character in the Lost World novel... of course... he doesn't have an adopted black daughter, and he doesn't chase a T-rex through the streets of... what city was it? L.A.? Actually... it's much like the first book... he gets hurt fairly seriously, and ends up ranting about chaos theory as he continuously pumps morphine into his system... although, LOL, the Lost World really portrayed him as more of a junkie than a mathemetician... really, if you read the book, it's worth a good laugh.

Now, the movie, I do have to agree... was simply awful... but I'm quite the Jeff Goldblum fan, and the first Jurassic Park is actually one of my favorite movies. The one problem I had was that I saw the movie (like 8 times) before I ever read the book.... and the book portrays Hammond as this evil guy, and I couldn't get the eccentric-tubby-grandpa image out of my head... was he in the Lost World movie? I don't remember that... yeah, he died in the first book, but he did survive the first movie... and in Hollywood, that's certain to be the more important factor.

'Well, I will not be an enemy of anything
    I'll only stand here'

-Counting Crows

Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
24 posted 2002-09-23 10:00 PM

yep, he's the main character in the book the Lost World... uhm, but, well, here's an excerpt from Jurassic Park (©1990 Michael Crichton):
quote:
     "What about Malcom?" Grant Said
     Muldoon shook his head.

Followed in the Epilogue by:

Under the circumstances, the government was not disposed to release the survivors in a hurry. They did not even permit the burial of Hammond or Ian Malcom.
heh. go figure... i guess dinosaurs weren't the only things cloned, eh?

granted, the continuity error is in the book itself, but i woudl think SOMEONE would have called him on it? *sigh* either way, the movie vs. book was horrendous. yet, somehow it made (at the time) #1 for box office sales... wow.

peace

C

cherish
since 2001-03-25
Posts 1639
swimming in fairy floss...........
25 posted 2002-09-24 05:02 AM

THE CRUICBLE!!!! that was AWESOMELY done...well...ok...so it was a PLAY to begin with..the screenplay was done really well.

Are you scared? BOO! Are you now?

Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
26 posted 2002-09-24 05:07 AM

thank you cherish, because that reminds me of the Outsiders, which i really liked for one, and for two was the staging ground for many future would-be famous actors.
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Books/comics into movies

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary