navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » sad movies
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic sad movies Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
anya
since 2002-07-27
Posts 393
London, UK

0 posted 2002-09-12 04:15 PM

I watched 'One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest' for like the millionth time today and it always amazes me how that film can still make me so sad, I think it has the most tragic ending, but anyway what are you favourite sad films? The ones that however many times you see them they still get you, if you know what I mean,
anya

© Copyright 2002 Anne Hegarty - All Rights Reserved
serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

1 posted 2002-09-12 05:24 PM

I can cry watching commercials...silly me..

But "cuckoo's nest?" It's one of my favorite things...the dialogue has become part of the family vocabulary arounnd here...

parts we quote?

"so...are you all crazy?"

"'What do we DO with the little fishes?'
'Catch big fishes.'"

"Billy the Club" (nuff said about that one)

"ah...Juicy Fruit..."

"I want MY cigarettes!!! Not HIS, or HIS, or HIS or HIS---I WANT MYcigarrettes!!!"

and?

"Gentlemen...it's medication time..."

and other lines, that for sake of forum decorum I can't repeat here... <--this should be called the Jack Nicholson smilie....heh heh.

[This message has been edited by serenity blaze (09-12-2002 05:24 PM).]

Trevor
since 1999-08-12
Posts 700
Canada
2 posted 2002-09-13 03:23 AM

Hellllooo,

Serenity :

Tooooo funny because,

"ah...Juicy Fruit..."

"I want MY cigarettes!!! Not HIS, or HIS, or HIS or HIS---I WANT MYcigarrettes!!!"

"Gentlemen...it's medication time"

Are the same quotes my brother and I use on one another all the time.

Anya:

"but anyway what are you favourite sad films?"

Well Cuckoo's Nest is up there for me. Also on the list is:

Domenick and Eugene (Tom Hulce, Jamie Lee Curtis and Ray Liotta)

What's Eating Gilbert Grape (I hate watching DiCaprio and his smug little stare in almost every movie except this one...he deserved the oscar that year)

I Never Sang for My Father (Martin Sheen trying to come to terms with the aging of his father)

Dumbo (The mamma scene always tears this jerk)

The Colour of Paradise (An Iranian film about a blind child and his widower father who wishes his son not there, one of the best films I have ever seen)

The Heart is a Lonely Hunter (based on the novel by that famous writer guy...ahh, books schmooks - words don't run unless you spill something on them Alan Arkin plays the lead - A lonely deaf mute who helps everyone but recieves no real friendship himself, only dissapointment and more loneliness)

My Left Foot (Daniel Day Lewis gives the performance of a lifetime as Christie Brown, though the film is inspirational it is quite sad to see what he had to endure)

Schindler's List (need I say more than the title? Never have I walked out from a theatre feeling more somber than that)

and last but not least...

Van Wilder (this has to be the worst film ever...acting, the story, it all made me want to cry....I felt like strangling the clerk who recommended it...he said it was so funny that it made his top ten list...I guess he forgot to say "Top ten list of all time crappy movies")...okay, I'll admit the dog and donut scene was funny but that's it

Thanks,

Trevor

Ceinwyn
Member Elite
since 2000-07-09
Posts 2175
VA
3 posted 2002-09-13 03:25 PM

I always cry during "Beauty and The Beast" I'm such a child at heart no seriously I do cry at the end!!! Ohh and I think "Autumn in New York" is sad as well..is that what it's called!? methinks..it's been awhile..

Kristen

If at first you don't succeed destroy all the evidence that you tried.

Miah
since 2002-08-26
Posts 1062
Pennsylvania
4 posted 2002-09-14 05:05 PM

A lot of movies made me cry here are some of them.
1) Terms of Endearment

2) Steel Magnolias

3) Beaches

Dark Enchantress
since 1999-07-27
Posts 1258
meet Morgana
5 posted 2002-09-14 05:51 PM

Anything could make me cry. I'm so sensitive to the people/things around me (whether real or not) that if I even sense someone in pain it cuts me deep. I could not even watch The Lion King for a long time because I would cry every time.. poor Simba..  

"you don't need one of these to let me inside of you" T.A.

[This message has been edited by Dark Enchantress (09-14-2002 05:51 PM).]

paper doll
since 2002-08-04
Posts 133
Floating on Uncertainty
6 posted 2002-09-15 01:09 AM

No movies actually make me upset. I don't cry during them or think about them later. Odd.

Imagination=nostalgia for the past, the absent; it is the liquid solution in which art develops the snapshots of reality.

TradingSpaces19
since 2002-08-31
Posts 134
Arvada, Colorado
7 posted 2002-09-15 01:24 PM

I watched "I am Sam" for the first time a couple weeks ago and I started crying when they took Sam's daughter away from him. I also cried because most of the movie made me so happy. That is such a great movie.   

Andrea Kruckenberg

brian madden
Member Elite
since 2000-05-06
Posts 4374
ireland
8 posted 2002-09-18 02:23 PM

"Amelie" brought a tear to my eye in the
middle bit.

There are few other films, not even my favourite ones, just stuff I am watching and depending on my mood a tear will form in my eye. Never shed, mind you.

Too early for the rainbow, too early for the dove These are the final days, this is the darkness, this is the flood
L cohen

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » sad movies

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary