navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Two questions
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic Two questions Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
bsquirrel
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-01-03
Posts 7855

0 posted 2002-08-21 12:41 PM

What does poetry mean to you? And music?

As patterns seem to form
I feel it cold and warm.
-Joy Division

© Copyright 2002 MPC - All Rights Reserved
Anvrill
since 2002-06-21
Posts 710
in the interzone now
1 posted 2002-08-21 12:56 PM

Poetry isn't as concrete in my mind as it is in yours, I can promise you that, baby. It's taken my years to be able to read it on my own, without being forced to by school assigments, and it's also taken years for the things I produce to actually be poems. [insert sheepish grin here]

I d'nah, poetry is a breath, a quick release when I don't have the mental capacity to finish a concept, or it's the only time that I ever can complete a concept.

The weird thing is that lyrics are in a completely different field for me... Both to read and write. Even though most of my lyrics are poems before I realize they're lyrics. But music gives something a deeper means of expression. I find that just reading something out loud can never fully justify it. Give it music, and it can break and make hearts.

I've been addicted to musical expression since I was 7 and in a chuch performance of Fred Penner's Blunder (I sang in all the multiple-voice numbers, and I played the wishing well. Never has as 7-year-old been so proud. ). I admit, the music I listened to until 14 was just basically like empty calories, but the stuff I started finding after that (purely yr fault, Mikhail) made me realize just how much of a depth you can find in things.

For me, poetry is two dimensional. Instrumentals are two dimensional. Put them together, and you're walking through a whole new 3-D world, as real as anything you've just stepped out of.

I know I'm a very strange individual, but the thing is that I wouldn't be me--couldn't be me--without music, and that sorta gets me really into it.

Mikhail, hon, y' gonna tell us what they mean to you?

i'll be waiting for you
do exactly what you're told

jm

bsquirrel
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-01-03
Posts 7855

2 posted 2002-08-21 01:07 PM

Poetry to me is silent music. Poetry that's written really well doesn't need instrumental backing -- it sings on its own, in phantom rhythms that no two people will hear the same way. It's the snaking melody of spoken words. What I really love about poetry is it was the first form of writing I read that I felt I could actually achieve myself. Novels are so expansive and multi-layered, and use a lot of space to give out their ideas and moments. Poems are expansive and multi-layered, but take hardly any time at all to read, comparibly. A novel you will want to reread again and again, but not right after you finish it. A poem you can keep reading and finding new things, and you can come back to it again a year letter and everything about it is different.

Music to me is about feeling. Very sentimental feeling. It lets you cry and feel moved and taken up and part of things. The wonderful thing about music is, while a song you love is playing, there is nothing else in the world besides that song. You can't even remember the melody of some other favorites -- you're trapped within the framework of this one. You know the feeling, the emotion, the instruments, the interplay -- everything by heart.

And poetry can be about the heart, but usually, by it's very nature, it's about the heart by way of the mind. Rock music can be so powerful that you don't necessarily need words to be at their highest calibre .. the melody and the mood will sweep it along. Not to say their aren't great songwriters who are also great writers, but by and large, reading a lyric sheet and reading a lyric sheet while listening to the music are entirely different things.

Poetry is the lyric sheet and the music, at once. Without ever speaking. With a voice that changes from person to person, as each person reads it.

They're both awesome in different ways.

As patterns seem to form
I feel it cold and warm.
-Joy Division

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
3 posted 2002-08-21 01:58 PM

Thank you for doing the work for me, Mike.  
Exactly.

and then some.

brian madden
Member Elite
since 2000-05-06
Posts 4374
ireland
4 posted 2002-08-21 02:05 PM

I see from your signature that you have quoted one of those lyricist (Ian Curtis) whose words could be considered poetry.
When you are younger (teenager) it is hard to find a poet that you can relate to, especially I feel the classic poets that are stables in the school system. I mean what does some stuffy poet from the 16th century know about your life,
You might be lucky to find a poem that you can relate to. However when you hear a song on the radio whether it is angst rock or bubble pop (no matter how daft the lyrics seem now) back then they were poetry. There are few bands that I would consider could have the lyrics printed as poetry, the aforementioned Ian Curtis (anything on Closer anyway), Bob Dylan, Leonard Cohen, Patti Smith, the doors songs Jim Morrison wrote the lyrics to, and Nick Cave.
All have, with the exception of Ian Curtis and maybe Bob Dylan, have printed books of poetry.  For me these artists have combined great music with great words, obviously no matter how good the lyrics are if the music doesn’t work then the chances are we wouldn’t listen. The song with the worst lyrics in the world can be catchy and grab your attention, is it poetry…no.

In terms of the purely printed work, a quote from some maybe Wilde comes to mind, “there are only two types of poetry, good and bad.” Poetry like music is subjective,  for me poetry has to connect with me on some level. Poetry should come from the heart, it doesn’t matter it is coloured with surreal images, whether.. as along as the sentiment is true. A bad poem is one without heart or feeling. It does not matter how complex the words or images are, as long as it speaks to me and has sometime to say.

The sum of the angles of that rectangle is too monstrous to contemplate!

Anvrill
since 2002-06-21
Posts 710
in the interzone now
5 posted 2002-08-21 03:14 PM

Augh, no, not all lyricists are poets. By far.

But for music to work really well with me, the lyrics do have to be poetry. Poets as much as lyricists: Monica Richards, William Faith, Jeff Martin, David Usher, Trent Reznor (you see if more in the softer songs), Jim Steinman, Sarah McLachlan, Leonard Cohen, Andrew Eldritch. The words need to be able to move you at least as much as the music itself does.

i'll be waiting for you
do exactly what you're told

jm

brian sites
since 2002-06-25
Posts 1475
usa
6 posted 2002-08-22 01:15 PM

output
input

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

7 posted 2002-08-22 02:37 PM

I like brian sites answer--I've been thinking on this and that nailed it for me...One is prayer, the other meditation.
bsquirrel
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-01-03
Posts 7855

8 posted 2002-08-22 04:39 PM

Yet again,
brian is the true poet
among us.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Two questions

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary