navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Top 5 Books of all time
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic Top 5 Books of all time Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
MIdsummerRain
since 2002-05-19
Posts 175
St. Louis, Missouri

0 posted 2002-07-20 04:54 AM

& My Winners Are . . .

1.) Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte

2.) The Vampire Lestat by Anne Rice

3.) Dracula by Bram Stoker

4.)The Silver Kiss by Annette Kurtis Klause (this was the first book I fell in love with)

5.) The Counte of Monte Cristo by Alexander Dumas

Next ? ! ?

For in much wisdom is much grief
& he who increases knowledge
    increases sorrow...
                  Eccl. 1:18

[This message has been edited by MIdsummerRain (07-20-2002 04:55 AM).]

© Copyright 2002 Rayne Leigh - All Rights Reserved
Anvrill
since 2002-06-21
Posts 710
in the interzone now
1 posted 2002-07-20 05:26 AM

You so rock!

1) Wuthering Heights - Emily Bronte

2) Fight Club - Chuck Palahniuk

3) Goblins in the Castle - Bruce Coville

4) Wind Blows Backward - Mary Downing Hahn

5) The Silver Kiss - Annette Curtis Clause

And there is honorable mention to Neil Gaiman for Neverwhere!

written in blood before everything went black

JCV

MIdsummerRain
since 2002-05-19
Posts 175
St. Louis, Missouri
2 posted 2002-07-20 06:01 AM

:::MouTH GaPPing OpEN In ShOCK:::

FINALLY...Ive found a "Silver Kiss" lover ; & all this time I thought it was just little o'le me...
Fight Club was originally a book? Who Knew?!?!?!?
Great Choices on Books
Its all you Anvrill!!! :::ShoUTS At ThE ToP Of HeR LuNGS:::  YOU Rock!

increases sorrow...

bsquirrel
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-01-03
Posts 7855

3 posted 2002-07-20 02:40 PM

You guys/girls are cool!

Well, since Wuthering Heights has already been mentioned twice (and it's a no brainer)

Um....

Huh.

Lessee here.

1. Catcher in the Rye and The Great Gatsby
These are really got me reading again in the first place -- what made me realize reading can be a joy and applicable to yr life.

2. The Short Stories of Ernest Hemingway, Flannery O'Connor, William Faulkner, complete works of Shakespeare
Amazing...

3. Cathedral, Ray Carver
Stories of displacement and loss and losers and love gone wrong. But sorta funny among th' pathos.

4. Lots of comics collections: Krazy Kat, Calvin & Hobbes, The Far Side, Fox Trot, Jhonen Vasquez, Roman Dirge, Chris Ware, PEANUTS!

5. Lots of poetry: Robert Frost, Emily Dickinson, Charles Simic, Best of American Poetry 1999-2002, various journals, treasuries and collections.

Honorable mention: Stephen King. I can't really read him like I once did, I've lost my innocence to his work. But stuff like It, The Stand, The Shining, 'Salem's Lot, Firestarter, Pet Sematary, Desperation, Bag of Bones .... y' gotta respect it.

Sheesh, I didn't even find a place to include Mark Twain or Charles Dickens or Thoreau or Homer or J.K. Rowling or J.R.R. Tolkien or C.S. Lewis or many many others.

She said burn ... together.
-TON

[This message has been edited by bsquirrel (07-20-2002 02:42 PM).]

rascalx
since 1999-08-25
Posts 590
Florence, SC, USA
4 posted 2002-07-20 11:16 PM

Gee, where does one even begin? - soooo many good books... hmm... I'll try

"Elfstones of Shannara" Terry Brooks made his world and his characters so believable.

"Lord of The Rings" by Tolkien - need I say more?

Any of the short stories or poems by Poe... his stuff gave me chills and kept me up many a night as a child. He also made me a lover of all things that go bump in the night!

"Pet Sematary" by Stephen King - one of his creepiest.

"The Narnia Chronicles" by C.S. Lewis

and an honorable mention goes to "Felidae" by Akif Pirincci - who knew a murder msytery set in the feline world could be so interesting? He does a wonderful job of putting you in the mind and body of a cat!

There are so many more that bear mentioning but these will do for starters

- Jeff

rascalx
since 1999-08-25
Posts 590
Florence, SC, USA
5 posted 2002-07-20 11:20 PM

OMG, how could I forget "Lord of the Flies" by... isn't it William Golding? My English teacher would have my ass if I called that wrong! lol
Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
6 posted 2002-07-20 11:30 PM

There is no way to choose!! No way...

Anvrill
since 2002-06-21
Posts 710
in the interzone now
7 posted 2002-07-21 12:37 PM

Mike, how dare you use the words no brainer even on the same page as Wuthering Heights????

I'm gonna go cry in the corner now... That book IS my life! Doesn't matter that two people cited it already... There is nothing more heartbreaking, passionate, moving, amazing, and full of real human emotion and heart break!

*pout*

Anyway.

MR, I found The Silver Kiss when I was on this total vampire kick in junior high. And it was just right. So much more ... tangible than the others. Seemed so much more real, with this thick sense of sorrow surrounding it. Just ... the entire way it works. One of the few books written for young adults I have ever come across that is a strong enough write to compete with those (sometimes rare) amazing books for the general population.

Anyway. Again. I'm off to collapse now. 5 hours sleep in 48 hours. Yeesh.

JCV

bsquirrel
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-01-03
Posts 7855

8 posted 2002-07-21 03:06 PM

'cause usually lists like this can help others find books/music/etc. they might want to read/hear/experience. And if everyone's listing Wuthering Heights, that's one space off for somethin' else. Besides, WH is so great, it's basically implied on a list like this anyway! Silly.

-TON

MidnightSon
since 2002-05-15
Posts 312
between the gutter & the stars
9 posted 2002-07-22 07:09 AM

in keeping with my non comformist and always honest ways, i didn't like wuthering heights...
ream me a new one if ya like, but i just didn't get down on it.... *ducks and covers*

as for the list?

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter Thompson (and just about anything by thompson for that matter)

The Prophet by Kahil Gibran

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald (and just about anything by him too)

Matin the Warrior by Brian Jaques (the first of his i ever read, it never gets old. good story telling.)

The Amazing Spider Man issues 121-122, June-July 1973 (Death of Gwen Stacy... pivotal in Spidey history, wonderfully written.)

and honorable mention?
Tao of Jeet Kune Do by Bruce Lee
Tao of Pooh by Benjamin Hoff
The Timothy Zahn Star Wars Trilogy (Heir to the Empire, Dark Force Rising, and The Last Command... although the first is my fav... )
Where the Sidewalk Ends by Shel Silverstein

it's our struggle for identity that leaves us all unknown

[This message has been edited by MidnightSon (07-22-2002 07:17 AM).]

catalinamoon
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-06-03
Posts 9543
The Shores of Alone
10 posted 2002-07-22 09:28 PM

Vampire Lestat-Anne Rice
Inteview with the Vampire-Anne Rice
Evangeline by Longfellow(story-poem)
Replay-Ken Grimwood
Rebecca-Daphne DuMaurier

Tracey
Member Elite
since 2001-08-29
Posts 2808
where insanity meets breeding
11 posted 2002-07-22 10:48 PM

1-Anything written by Jane Austen, but especially Pride and Prejudice. The humour that she weaves into her characters is unsurpassed by any writer
2-Wuthering Heights (of course) by Emily Bronte
3-Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
4-And I Don’t Want to Live This Life by Debra Spungeon about daughter Nancy and her life with Sid Vicious. Fascinating reading (and if I wasn’t already turned off to the idea of having kids, this would have done it!! Lol)
5-Anything by Thomas Hardy, a brilliant story teller
6-The Deptford Trilogy by Robertson Davies

Okay, it’s more than 5…let’s just say I can’t count. Lol

MIdsummerRain
since 2002-05-19
Posts 175
St. Louis, Missouri
12 posted 2002-07-23 02:32 AM

Bsquirel Catcher in the Rye was strangely attracting to me as well; Short Stroies...how could I forget?!?!? WaIT...Where is PoE?!? Dickens & Thoreau Great Choices~

Rascalx PoE thickens my blood as well!

PDV Did I say just Five?!?!? Come on...Show me!

Anvrill :::TiPS HeR HaT::: Couldnt have said it better myself!

MidnightSon :::In ShoCK::: You didnt like...but...Heathcliff...Katherine...True Love...  :::PoUTS:::
I think we might be even though, for I did not care for The Great Gatsby...I thought it long & boring :::BiTES HeR LiP::: Sorry...
:::SmiLES ThEN LauGHS::: Maybe I should do a "Top 5 Comic" Post!
Bruce Lee huh?!?! Interesting choice...Intrigueing as always MidnightSon!

Catalinamoon Ah, finally an Anne Rice Lover! Wonderful choices, my friend

Tracey Jane Eyre is also one of my favorites; it could be the only book to compare with Wuthering Heights!

With Much Admiration to All
~Rayne

increases sorrow...

kaile
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Ascendant
since 2000-02-06
Posts 5146
singapore
13 posted 2002-07-23 06:18 AM

Tracey, i am reading Pride and Prejudice now!
bsquirrel
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-01-03
Posts 7855

14 posted 2002-07-23 02:40 PM

Oops ... sorry about that. How could I forget things like The Cask of .... (yikes, I cannot pronounce the name, and always mistake it as Armadillo), The Pit and the Pendulum and The Fall of the House of Usher...

Oh yes, and Masque of the Red Death is absolutely chilling.

-TON

devil_tongue
since 2000-03-02
Posts 50

15 posted 2002-07-24 08:56 AM

1. Wasted
2. The unquiet grave
3. Mouthing the words
4. The Handmaids Tale
5. Catcher in the Rye

Dark Enchantress
since 1999-07-27
Posts 1258
meet Morgana
16 posted 2002-07-24 09:50 AM

1. Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte
2. The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
3. The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux
4. The Glass Menagerie by Tennessee Williams
5. The Inferno by Dante

Pretty much anything written by Anne Rice.. Sylvia Plath.. Edgar Allen Poe..

I think "The Giver" was the first book I fell in love with. That and "Madeline".

Also, "The Noonday Demon" by Andrew Solomon... if you're into psychology (particularly depression, suicide, etc.) then you'll really like this book.

"if you know me so well then tell me which hand do I use?" Tori Amos

[This message has been edited by Dark Enchantress (07-24-2002 09:54 AM).]

MidnightSon
since 2002-05-15
Posts 312
between the gutter & the stars
17 posted 2002-07-24 11:03 PM

i noticed a lotta vampire lit in here and thought i'd reccomend the two i like a lot.
In the Forests of the Night
and
Demon in my View
both by Ameilia Atwater-Rhodes
she was only 15 and 16 when she wrote em... damn good considering what i was doing at 15 and 16....

it's our struggle for identity that leaves us all unknown

Anvrill
since 2002-06-21
Posts 710
in the interzone now
18 posted 2002-07-24 11:13 PM

When I was 15 and 16, I was writing vampire novels. Manda (my best friend) insists I'm way better than previously mentioned young authoress, and I do find that she shows her age, but leaves my young work in the dust.

JCV

hush
since 2001-05-27
Posts 1653
Ohio, USA
19 posted 2002-07-25 12:34 PM

1. Does the Hitchiker's Guide series count as 5 seperate books, or one inclusive story?

if it's one book, then...

2. The Shining by Stephen King

3. Document Zippo by L.A. Ruocco... it's published by an independent company.... probably the most extreme book I've ever read... feminism in its most... uh... physical and crass forms...

4. Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut

5. I guess I'll join the comic book bandwagon and recomend the Watchmen series in its entirety by Alan Moore... but my boyfriend's got me reading Preacher by... Garth Ennis, I think... and so far, I'd have to say that's phenomenal, too.

and I'm going to have to give a big ick! to The Catcher in the Rye, and especially the Great Gatsby... Gatsby was an assignment I hated... I could not ahve thought of a more boring plot... Catcher in the Rye I read on my own, but felt phenomenally let down... I think that Ordinary People by Judith Guest was much better as a book of that type, because it dealt with a young man's recovery and growth, rather than his pissant whining.

Okay, I'm off my soapbox... Not intending to trash anyone else's choices, just offering an opinion...

Who is John Galt?

[This message has been edited by hush (07-25-2002 12:35 PM).]

Dark Enchantress
since 1999-07-27
Posts 1258
meet Morgana
20 posted 2002-07-25 10:11 PM

I like The Sandman comics. Someone told me that I remind them of the character Death so curious to see what kind of comparison this was I started reading them and I loved them. Dream is sexy. I want to have his children. Season of Mists was really good. Check it out sometime. Or don't.

"if you know me so well then tell me which hand do I use?" Tori Amos

Anvrill
since 2002-06-21
Posts 710
in the interzone now
21 posted 2002-07-25 10:23 PM

Dream is more than sexy. Mm, mm, mm... Tall, pale, long dark hair, gaunt. Smart and moody to boot! What else could a girl ask for?

JCV

mariee66
since 2000-01-30
Posts 596
Recess, OfYourMind
22 posted 2002-07-25 11:42 PM

How about top five from what I have read in my lifetime thus far:

1. Tale of the Body Thief by Anne Rice
2. The Vampire Lestat by Anne Rice
3. The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux
4. The Green Mile by Stephen King
5. The Prisoner Of Azkaban by J.K. Rowling

How about two most hated--
1. Queen of the Damned by Anne Rice
Can you believe they actually made this awful book into a horrid movie??!!  Sheesh!
2. Memnoch the Devil by Anne Rice
Lestat winds up in chains, his freedom gone--need I say more?

rascalx
since 1999-08-25
Posts 590
Florence, SC, USA
23 posted 2002-07-26 12:02 PM

Kudos and lots of applause and hootin' and hollering to those who included comic books in their lists! Definitely a big thumbs up to the Sandman series, Preacher is good (heck, most of the "Vertigo" line of books rocks!), and the Watchmen is simply excellent! Since we're talking comic books, I'll add a few -
    1) "The Killing Joke" Batman graphic novel - gives new insights into the madness of both The Joker and Batman.
    2) Anything by Frank Miller
    3) The run of X-men titles written by Chris Claremont (his Aliens vs. Predator series deserves a look too!)
    4) "The Maxx" - a way cool, deep, thoughtful head trip of a series!

and I'm sure I'm missing a few other excellent choices, so I strongly advise everyone to go out and buy some comic books, particularly the independents!

Funny how you ladies think Dream is so hot! I think Death is beautiful! (lol) Especially that little "tattoo" near her eye! Yowsa!

- Jeff

MIdsummerRain
since 2002-05-19
Posts 175
St. Louis, Missouri
24 posted 2002-07-26 03:14 AM

Bsquirrel Amontillado...Tha Cask of Amontillado (LoL)

Devil Toungue :::Why do these sound so familiar?:::

Dark Enchantress I KnEW I forgot somthing! The Phantom of the Opera is a classic indeed!!

MidnightSon OkOk...you got me; Im a vampire! I'll definatly check ot your reads.

Hush The Catcher in the Rye has its let downs, yet Im to good at humoring myself with the pathetic whining!

Mariee Im in the middle of "Body Thief", so far so good! The Queen of the Damned?? A horrid movie maybe ((Except were Stewart Townsend graced us with his presence))Although I thought the book prevailed!

Rascalx The closest Ive come to comics my friend, is The Crow comics! Not only is Eric Drayven hot,I think Batman is hot!

WHO IS DREAM???

Anvrill
since 2002-06-21
Posts 710
in the interzone now
25 posted 2002-07-26 10:18 AM

Dream, Morpheus, etc. is the main character in Neil Gaiman's graphic novel Sandman, available in ten collected volumes and a new story that was actually originally released as a book, not a single-issue comic.   Hm, might I be a bit obsessed?

He's stoic, morbid, tragic, very self-centered, but this amazing character who also happens to be amazingly hot.

And Death is his older sister! She, too, is hot.   Especially in a top-hat! Yowza.  

JCV

[This message has been edited by Anvrill (07-26-2002 03:47 PM).]

MIdsummerRain
since 2002-05-19
Posts 175
St. Louis, Missouri
26 posted 2002-07-27 12:57 PM

MmmMmm...stoic, morbid, tragic, very self-centered, sexy... Sounds like my kind of guy

Got a PictuRE?!?

One day Men will look back & say
that I gave birth to the 20th Century

Jack the Ripper ~1888

Anvrill
since 2002-06-21
Posts 710
in the interzone now
27 posted 2002-07-27 10:24 AM

Unfortunately, no... I'm sorry!

Though I'm sure, of all the Sandman fans who have shown themselves, someone here can find y' a pic of Dream!

JCV

hush
since 2001-05-27
Posts 1653
Ohio, USA
28 posted 2002-07-28 07:58 PM

Now, I don't read comic books as a staple, but my boyfriend lives and breathes them, so I get some exposure... and I must say, I am not a fan of Sandman. I find it pretentious and boring, but I find most black-haired white-skinned goth-culture icons boring- this coming form a girl who once owned all of Marylin Manson's albums. Everything I've ever read by Neil Gaiman, I've really disliked.... I just find his writing style to be very heavy-handed and overly dramatic in an immature, attention-grabbing way.

Who is John Galt?

bsquirrel
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-01-03
Posts 7855

29 posted 2002-07-29 11:58 AM

Hush got somethin' against theatricality.

-TON

Anvrill
since 2002-06-21
Posts 710
in the interzone now
30 posted 2002-07-29 01:05 PM

S'not even theatrical... *pout* And you, having never read Gaiman, cannot comment, Mikhail.

JCV

bsquirrel
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-01-03
Posts 7855

31 posted 2002-07-29 01:47 PM

Hey, I *like* theatrical when it comes to comics! The form is well-suited to i'.

-TON

likitysplit
since 2002-07-25
Posts 23
Alabama
32 posted 2002-07-29 03:42 PM

Have you ever done any speed reading? You can with Spotted Owl Recipes by the E.P.A., or The Engineers Guide To Fashion. The Amish Phone Directory is a quicky. Mike Tysons Guide to Dating Etiquette or George Formans Book of Baby Names. These are all quite good reading and you can knock them all out in about 5 minutes. I have read three of the books you mentioned and you do have great taste in literature. I'd recommend yours rather than mine for book reports.

[This message has been edited by likitysplit (07-29-2002 03:43 PM).]

Syneq
since 2002-07-28
Posts 40

33 posted 2002-07-29 06:16 PM

Weaveworld - Clive Barker
Interview with a Vampire - Ann Rice
The Dark Angel - Meredith Ann Pierce
Go Ask Alice - Anonymous
Dreams of Death and Terror - H.P. Lovecraft

~
Syneq

Disintegrated to materialize in reformed delight.

PoetryIsLife
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2001-10-27
Posts 1763
...in my boxers...
34 posted 2002-07-29 10:39 PM

Can I pop my head in and say I love "The Jungle" by Upton Sinclair? Oh, wait, I just did.

Sincerely,
Titus

"They say that a hero can save us. I'm not gonna stand here and wait..."

-Chad Kroger

bsquirrel
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-01-03
Posts 7855

35 posted 2002-07-30 12:08 PM

Mmm, finger sausages!

Mike's The Jungle Quote Service

Said if I only could ...
-KB

Mistletoe Angel
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
36 posted 2002-07-31 02:55 AM

Wow, ooohhhhhhh...this is a touch one because I love to read all the time, YAY!!! But I do have five favorites!

#1: Zen And The Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
#2: Dharma Bums by Jack Kerouac
#3: I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
#4: A Tale Of Two Cities
#5: Where The Red Fern Grows

Yay!!!

Love,
Noah Eaton

"Underneath your clothes there's an endless story..."

Shakira

[This message has been edited by Mistletoe Angel (07-31-2002 02:55 AM).]

Duncan
Member Ascendant
since 2001-08-07
Posts 5455

37 posted 2002-07-31 03:19 AM

Well, maybe not the top...but these come to mind.

Exodus.....Leon Uris
Slaughterhouse 5....Kurt Vonnegut
Steal this book....Abbie Hoffman
Nana....Emile Zola
Pride and Prejudice...Jane Austin
The Narnia Chronicles....CS Lewis
The Shining....Stephen King
Dear Theo.....Irving Stone
And anything by Dr. Seuss

[This message has been edited by Duncan (07-31-2002 03:21 AM).]

Sudhir Iyer
Member Ascendant
since 2000-04-26
Posts 6943
Mumbai, India : now in Belgium
38 posted 2002-07-31 10:28 AM

how do you classify... top 5?

me, a cynic???

regards to you,
sudhir
having read about 500 books and more... and never the same one more than twice... I frankly can't decide... all books are great, as long as it appeals to atleast one reader (including the writer)

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Top 5 Books of all time

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary