navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #2 » Avidity
Critical Analysis #2
Post A Reply Post New Topic Avidity Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Joelprado
since 2003-12-16
Posts 3

0 posted 2003-12-16 11:16 PM

Avidity

To ache and yearn
an ardent kiss,
A passion churns
agonizing bliss

Vividly enticing
a fantasy conceived
Illusions surmising
a destiny believed

Consuming desire
a revel in lust,
Committing, so dire
a heart entrust

Eyes behold
the moment to seize
A move so bold
entailing appease

Intently seducing
with titillative taste
Eagerly perusing
a panting haste

Alluringly incisive
the subtle graze,
Imminently incensive
the insatiate embrace

A rendered amour
perpetually elated
The sweet languor
reminisced and unabated

Joel Prado

[This message has been edited by Joelprado (12-17-2003 06:27 AM).]

© Copyright 2003 Joelprado - All Rights Reserved
Not A Poet
Member Elite
since 1999-11-03
Posts 3885
Oklahoma, USA
1 posted 2003-12-17 12:26 PM

Hello Joel,

And welcome to the forum. I don't usually say much on a first post but I can give a quick impression here.

First, I don't think the short lines do much for it. This appears to be a serious intent and short lines just usually don't work well in that context. Second, rhyming poetry usually works best when accompanied by a fairly consistent meter. Yours just around much more than I would prefer. Finally, I rarely like the centered format. That's a pretty minor objection but, as long as it is not intended to be a visual poem, many prefer just the words without the fluff.

Other than those, it looks like you have a good entry into CA. Let's see what others think.

Pete

Tim
since 1999-06-08
Posts 1794

2 posted 2003-12-17 12:37 PM

disjointiveness of the short lines makes it a bit tough for me to follow the train of thought.  

The meter does not have to be perfect, but got a little far astray for me at times.  

25 cent words are fine, but to me detracted from what you were trying to say in the poem.
Passion and ardor are a bit more basic to us farm boys.

In any event, enjoyed the poem but would suggest a little tweaking would make it more enjoyable.

Joelprado
since 2003-12-16
Posts 3

3 posted 2003-12-17 01:24 AM

Thank you very much for your replies,  not only is this my first visit to the forum, but this is my first poem, literally.  I have read some previous entries concerning critiquing in order to be critiqued.  I wasnt expecting critiques so soon, again Thank you.

I find that my poem, as most poems are, is best understood through retrospective reading.   The short quatrain meters were meant to be as they are. Though this style, like any other style, is by writer and/or reader preference, it is meant to leave points inbetween.  Each verse, line, and word were selected carefully for depth in meaning, either by itself or in correlation with the next.  25 cent words, in my humble opinion, are sometimes just the opposite, providing the right context.  

I appreciate your time in reading my poem and I'm glad you enjoyed it.  I will definitely keep in mind your suggestions as I'm just starting out.  

By the way.. Great Site!  

Craw
since 2003-09-11
Posts 73
Scotland
4 posted 2003-12-17 04:37 AM

This is too precious for me. It undoubtably reveals ambition but the form is irritatingly constrictive and it reads like an exercise rather than a poem. All show no punch. All tinsel no tree.

Also lines like

'with ravenous appease'
and
'imminently incensive'
simply aren't english.

hush
since 2001-05-27
Posts 1653
Ohio, USA
5 posted 2003-12-18 10:48 AM

I agree about the meter, it's just too distracting.

I see this as more of a mood poem than anything else... which is fine, but in my experience, you can only do so much with creating a mood and tone. I don't really see how you can go more than a few stanzas with this.. it should either be cut shorter, or given more substance.

I do think you have some good lines...

'To ache and yearn
an ardent kiss,
A passion churns
agonizing bliss'

This was cool until the last line... agonizing just completely throws the flow and seems a little out of place. That might have been your intent, but I don't think it really works.

'Eagerly perusing
a panting haste'

I kind of liked the way these lines read... good flow and neat wod choice.

I also really thought your rhyme between desire and so dire was cool... a neat sound inversion.

My biggest problem, though, is that you have some good phrases, but not much else. Like I said, sometimes shorter can be better. Hope I've helped.

Neeraja
since 2002-06-22
Posts 812
The Netherlands
6 posted 2003-12-18 11:00 AM

For a first poem I think it's promising!

welcome on PIP Joel!

Neeraja

Joelprado
since 2003-12-16
Posts 3

7 posted 2003-12-19 10:46 AM

Thank you very much for your critiques, I will definitely go back and add more substance to it, providing more "punch" and
"tree" ;-) It was meant to be a mood poem, but it may be too long.  I dont think I'll be cutting it though.  I'll repost with a slightly different version.  By the way, Imminently incensive?  This makes sense to me. Is it the word incensive that throws people off?  dictionary.com  "Tending to excite or provoke; inflammatory".  Should I do away with it?

Craw
since 2003-09-11
Posts 73
Scotland
8 posted 2003-12-20 08:23 AM

It's not all you should do away with. How about appease as a noun? What's the definition of that?

Severn
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-17
Posts 7704

9 posted 2003-12-20 03:35 PM

What an interesting response, Craw. Another word to look up - sarcasm. Sarcasm happens to me one of my favourite veins of humour...when it's used appropriately. The above wasn't.

Btw, did you know that I know someone who lives in Scotland very well...nice place.

K

cynicsRus
since 2003-06-06
Posts 591
So Cal So Cool!
10 posted 2003-12-21 01:50 AM

quote:
Imminently incensive?  This makes sense to me. Is it the word incensive that throws people off?  dictionary.com  "Tending to excite or provoke; inflammatory".  Should I do away with it?

Joel,
It may be time to ask Santa for an up to date dictionary
Look closely on Dictionary.Com and you’ll see that this is an outdated word.

Personally, I have to concur that this poem does indeed need some trimming. You’ve chosen words purely for their flourish. This is the essence of the “tinsel” remark.

Overall, you’ve received some very substantive suggestions here. You lack only to apply them to your poem in the proper measure to make it substantive as well.

Sid @ www.cynicsRus.com
www.primerhymeetc.com

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #2 » Avidity

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary