navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #2 » Chameleon
Critical Analysis #2
Post A Reply Post New Topic Chameleon Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
perseph1ne
since 2003-07-09
Posts 16
IL

0 posted 2003-07-09 09:10 PM

This is the first poem I've posted here, so any and all comments are welcome.

She was a chameleon,
conditioned to hide --
invisible in her camouflage.
Long layered clothes
protected her diished body,
like a blue jean cocoon
sheltering a fragile pupa.
But she didn't get a new life;
her butterfly was less than a dream.
She was a chameleon.

She came into my life
amidst bums and businessmen.
He cold chameleon body
frozen in it's final hues.
Blossoms of indigo bruises
and dewdrops of vermillion blood
tie-dyed her skin iradescently,
while vines of whitened scars
climbed her body
only to stop at the amethyst chain
around her neck.

She was a chameleon,
unable to change her nature --
even in death.

© Copyright 2003 Casey Cooper - All Rights Reserved
Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
1 posted 2003-07-10 09:09 PM

incredibly sad, and chilling
is it about someone close to you?

grassy ninja
since 2003-07-20
Posts 41
Kentucky
2 posted 2003-07-20 11:33 AM

i love this.  the nature metaphor works well with the commercial images: blue jeans, business men, etc.  i especially love that you didn't turn your poem into another poem about the proverbial caterpillar changes into the proverbial butterfly.  some of the color imagery in the second stanza is a bit heavy for me, but i love the fresh look at the chamelon.  your chamelon's ability to hide isn't so much a defense mechanism as it is her downfall.  the final paradox is a great comment on hard it is to change one's nature, even if that person has perfected the art of changing its image.  great poem.

Magia_negra
since 2003-07-16
Posts 77
CA, USA
3 posted 2003-07-22 02:33 AM

*agrees with Grassy ninja*
I am not very good at critique when it comes to technical stuff, i just try to feel the poem.
I feel you, perseph1ne... Well, well done.

...somos los locos para siempre
para siempre te amo
   mi vida...

hush
since 2001-05-27
Posts 1653
Ohio, USA
4 posted 2003-07-22 04:15 PM

Hi.

I think this poem is a really neat idea, and I also think you have some promising lines in it.

First thing I would look at for improvement is the typos and mispellings. Just run the poem through a spell-check on MS word or whatever word processor you use.

This line especially confused me:

'protected her diished body,'

Even if you meant 'dished,' I still don't see what you mean by it.

Now, here is where I think you have a really good idea, but it could probably be handled a little differently:

'like a blue jean cocoon
sheltering a fragile pupa.
But she didn't get a new life;
her butterfly was less than a dream.
She was a chameleon.'

The idea of attempting a metamorphoses- and using a simile within your metaphor- is really cool. However, maybe you could do this a little more subtly- the repetition of 'she was a chameleon' (both here and later in the poem) gets to be kind of overkill. Also, a few other things:

'like a blue jean cocoon
sheltering a fragile pupa....
her butterfly was less than a dream.'

Now, I'm not sure whether cocooned moths are called pupa, but I am quite sure that butterflies don't spin cocoons- that have a chrysalis. However, I think the image of a cocoon is very fitting, considering it takes and active effort to spin, and also that jeans are cotton... maybe you could replace the word 'butterfly' with 'metamorphosis'? It's more of an active image, and factually sound.

I also thought the less than a dream bit was interesting- because it suggests that an actual dream might be enough to get her to change, or to change her. (I'm reading the comic book Sandman right now, so the reality and power of dreams is something that surfaces a lot.)

'She came into my life
amidst bums and businessmen.'

I'm interested in this. I think it could (and probably should) constitute and entire stanza... who are 'you'? The narrator is a mystery to the reader.... what circumstances brought her into the narrator's life? The apparent beating? But why? How does she know the narrator?

'She was a chameleon,
unable to change her nature --
even in death.'

Intersting concept- she couldn't change her nature... what is that? One might think that a chameleon would be able to hide its pain- is it in her nature to reveal these things? Also, I'm wondering- she can't change her nature, but can she conceal it?

Really interesting concept- I think it deserves some more fleshing out and detail, because your idea warrants some more detail.

Hope I've helped.

perseph1ne
since 2003-07-09
Posts 16
IL
5 posted 2003-07-22 09:37 PM

Thanks everyone for your help!
Not inspired by an events in my own life, except maybe tv.
In the fifth line the word is supposed to be diminished. Sorry about that.
Thanks for pointing out the biology mistakes; butterflies are not the right insects to use.
Did anyone get that the narrator was the M.E. medical examiner? I didn't want to come right out and say it, but maybe I wasn't clear enough.
Anyway, much thanks to everyone for their comments.
Perseph1ne

hush
since 2001-05-27
Posts 1653
Ohio, USA
6 posted 2003-07-23 01:13 PM

I personally didn't catch that the narrator was a medical examiner- was she dead when she came in?

Maybe instead of just:

'She came into my life
amidst bums and businessmen.'

You could add something on to it, like:

'She came into my life
amidst bums and businessmen,
stretchers and... ' something else medical here? I don't know- think about the tone you want to convey.

Now, if this is a medical examiner narrating, there's still the issue of the first stanza. This narrator seems to know the chameleon girl... does he know her in real life, or is her just speculating about her life from examining her? That should probably be more clear, too.

BTW, cool idea for the narrator.

--Oops, I caught myself making that terribly sexist error... when I said he, referring to the medical examiner... I really should have said he or she... my bad.

[This message has been edited by hush (07-23-2003 01:15 PM).]

green_itchy_stuff
since 2003-06-26
Posts 1929
New Caney, Tx
7 posted 2003-07-23 03:05 PM

I've been writting for a while and I still don't ahve a talent for critiquing.  I'm not sure if I can even spell the word right without looking it up.  But nice poem and as far as Im concerened good imagery.  And yeah it definitly is a bit sad.
rose
since 2003-08-02
Posts 53

8 posted 2003-08-09 01:06 PM

perseph1ne--
i just wanted to let you know that i did pick up on the fact that the spaeker was a medical examiner....but i found that to be sort of conflicting in that the speaker seems to know this person well at some points and not at all at others.  so maybe it could be divided into a two-speaker poem? (although this is extremely difficult to do) or somehow clarify how the ME might know this info about the girl.  or just cut some of the details out, without losing the tone of the poem. other than that, i dont have much to say...its already been said by others.  good write.
~rose

mircasaster
since 2003-08-08
Posts 9
TN, United States
9 posted 2003-08-09 04:22 PM

I thought this was a very interesting poem.  I think I can see why at some poems in the poem, the persona seems to know the dead girl very well at times and not at all at other times.  Given that this poem's persona is a medical examiner, it makes logical sense actually.  A medical examiner can tell a lot about someone's physical circumstances and, in some cases through that phyiscal observation, he/she would be able to get an emotional perspective on the individual...this emotional persepctive can vary dramatically given the varied physical circumstances.  Therefore, at times the medical examiner would, at times, could have a very good grasp on the girl's physical and emotional state and at other times, he/she could have a very limited grasp on the physical and emotional state of the girl.  This is just an observation; I could be completely wrong in my conjecture, but I thought I would see if anyone agreed with that view.  
warmhrt
since 1999-12-18
Posts 1563

10 posted 2003-08-12 12:52 PM

I genuinely enjoyed reading this and think, with a little tweaking, it has loads of potential. I won't get into critique, since it's already been done, but I do agree with most of what was advised. Good luck!

Kris

"It is wisdom to know others;
It is enlightenment to know one's self" - Lao Tzu

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #2 » Chameleon

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary