navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #2 » PainNan Help
Critical Analysis #2
Post A Reply Post New Topic PainNan Help Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Foxyoasis
since 2003-06-10
Posts 974
Atlantic Beach,Fla

0 posted 2003-06-18 02:27 PM

i was referred to you to help me with my sonnet. i know ive done it wrong. and need you to help me a forum member told me you were amazing so im in your hands...

It grows on me like a weed
its stems onto me like it lives with me
i cast it aside and let it leave me alone
still it comes and i engage with it everyday
no escaping... but without it i couldent
live,without it i wouldent be who i am today
it teaches me a lesson i rather not see,but
in the end i praise it and welcome it towards me
i don't let it own my life,i go on strong and stronger even when it puts its ulgy head upon me.
i am in control of it,i choose to embrace it and think of it as a gift that is given to me. to be truly special and become what i am
to be what i choose,to see the stars shine bright i think  I use it i don't let it use me.

© Copyright 2003 Julie O'Neill - All Rights Reserved
kadafi09
since 2003-06-17
Posts 143
California, United States
1 posted 2003-06-18 05:52 PM

nice job. i liked your poem.
~DreamChild~
since 2001-04-23
Posts 544
in your dreams
2 posted 2003-06-19 01:15 AM

drugs?

Freedom is the dream of sleeping reality
                ~DreamChild~

cynicsRus
since 2003-06-06
Posts 591
So Cal So Cool!
3 posted 2003-06-20 09:34 PM

If you wish to learn to write sonnets, you first have to know and understand the definition:

SONNET A fixed form consisting of fourteen lines of five-foot iambic verse. In the English or Shakespearean sonnet, the lines are grouped in three quatrains (with six alternating rhymes) followed by a detached rhymed couplet which is usually epigrammatic. In the original Italian form, such as Longfellow's " Divina Commedia," the fourteen lines are divided into an octave of two rhyme-sounds arranged abba abba and a sestet of two additional rhyme sounds which may be variously arranged. This latter form tends to divide the thought into two opposing or complementary phases of the same idea.
Sidelight: A variant of the Shakespearean form is the Spenserian sonnet which links the quatrains with a chain or interlocked rhyme scheme, abab bcbc cdcd ee.

This was copied from Bob's Byway. A great poetic reference tool. Here's the link: http://www.poeticbyway.com/glossary.html

If you desire to write sonnets, you should first study those of the master--Shakespeare.
If I were you though, I'd work first on nailing down the meter; in this case, iambic pentameter.

It's great that you are so open to critiques. That's the best way to learn.
Keep writing. Wishing you well,

Sid

[This message has been edited by cynicsRus (06-20-2003 09:36 PM).]

Foxyoasis
since 2003-06-10
Posts 974
Atlantic Beach,Fla
4 posted 2007-03-02 06:08 PM

not drugs its about crohns diease but now my poems are more about drugs anymore doctors hook you to this stuff i got a tolerance to opuims now.
viking_metal
since 2007-02-02
Posts 1337
In a Jeep, Minnesota.
5 posted 2007-03-05 09:26 PM

Edit grammar and spelling before posting in a critical analysis forum.

Consider counting syllables, I do not know what kind of sonnet you were going for. Nor can I hope to tell.

This is too wordy, edit out un-needed words. Expand the vocabulary, shorten the lines. Make it concise and interesting. After an edit and repost, I will reply with a truly constructive critique.

Valedictions,

-Paul

since 2007-03-28
Posts 25

6 posted 2007-03-28 01:43 AM

ok abstract defines this poem. so does wonderful ok but i got to know what IT is. tell me

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #2 » PainNan Help

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary