navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #2 » Three Christines
Critical Analysis #2
Post A Reply Post New Topic Three Christines Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Jason Lyle
since 2003-02-07
Posts 1438
With my darkling

0 posted 2003-06-07 07:13 PM

I sit here
Slamming acid shots
And listening to celtic beats
And  think to myself
Would this day taste the same?
If it was seasoned with hope?
Instead of aged seagrams
And I wonder
Will they be enough?
Enough to turn bitterness
Into learning
Hate into forgiveness
And pain into strength
And I know in my heart
Yes
My three Christines
Can change anything
And most of all
They change
Me

I have only recently tried free verse, So I post this one to tempt Severn for a critique.I have always written in meter, So critique away, tell me where I screwed the style.Teach me something.

Jason

[This message has been edited by Jason Lyle (06-09-2003 12:59 AM).]

© Copyright 2003 Jason Lyle - All Rights Reserved
V. Tomir
since 2003-06-08
Posts 20

1 posted 2003-06-08 12:26 PM

So sorry Mr. Lyle but there is nothing new or original in this composition. I don't see what Celtic beats adds to the piece. It adds nothing and the whole drunk writer wallowing in his pity over being a **** -heel both in and out of relationships has been beaten to death with a beret. All this leaves me wondering, why after reading this, would a reader care about your poem.

Regards.

raevynsbreath
since 2003-06-06
Posts 64
Mi, USA
2 posted 2003-06-08 12:29 PM

nice poem, however, it needs something more.  okay try this. take out so many of the questions and add in more "factual" information or prose, or something more interesting that pulls the reader into the scene of the person downing acid shots.  
i think it would give more emotion to the poetry and help people understand what's happening here.
i hope this is helpful.
_rae
p.s. you do know someone cares about this poem, otherwise mr. tomir would never have left his classic snide remark.

Jason Lyle
since 2003-02-07
Posts 1438
With my darkling
3 posted 2003-06-08 04:28 PM

V.Tomir, I can take the critique, its why I posted this here.If had found this to be a perfect and original piece, I would look for a publisher.As stated I posted here to learn what I was doing wrong.I compliment the graceful and compassionate way in which you pointed these things out.

Raevynsbreath, thank you for an honest opinion and good advice.I think it drives not a poet a little crazy when I post raw or unpolished work here.But it is really the only way to get good critiques and tech advice on pip.

Not A Poet
Member Elite
since 1999-11-03
Posts 3885
Oklahoma, USA
4 posted 2003-06-08 07:35 PM

To the contrary Jason. As I said earlier, I have yet to see anyone post perfect poetry here. I, like you, and almost everyone else, post in this forum for feedback, advice and assistance from our fellow amateur writers.

Pete

Jason Lyle
since 2003-02-07
Posts 1438
With my darkling
5 posted 2003-06-09 01:02 AM

I know that Pete, I was just acknowledging that sometimes I drop my neediest work here, instead of finished product.I am always thankful for good advice and learning from this forum.

Jason

hush
since 2001-05-27
Posts 1653
Ohio, USA
6 posted 2003-06-10 12:02 PM

I think this could be an interesting idea, but I'm not really sure if I'm reading it right.

'If it was seasoned with hope?
Instead of aged seagrams
And I wonder
Will they be enough?'

By seagram's, you mean the beer, right? And by they, are you talking about the seagrams? Or maybe the acid/celtic beats/seagrams? Because later, you say:

'Yes
My three Christines
Can change anything'

Christines... maybe as the archetypal woman? Is that what you meant? Castyping the three earlier escapes into a female name?

I am also very intrigued by the number three and the similarity between Christine and Christian.

Am I on to anything?

Jason Lyle
since 2003-02-07
Posts 1438
With my darkling
7 posted 2003-06-10 02:45 PM

I really didn't give the reader enough info to get it.Seagrams is a canadian whisky and my 3 Christines?...they are my wife, and two daughters Christine Anne, Jessica Christine, and Lauren Christine.

Thanks for the read, and comments.

Jason

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #2 » Three Christines

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary