navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #2 » Arches
Critical Analysis #2
Post A Reply Post New Topic Arches Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
edh
since 2003-03-26
Posts 111

0 posted 2003-03-27 12:41 PM

I once had arches.  I was a place to eat.
A gateway bridge.
A foot......in the door

of those buildings is a man standing.
I can see him.

He looks as if he had had
a gun.

He would shoot it.

I would not walk to him
without my arches.
Suppose I crawled.

Just suppose for a minute that
another Man is standing
at the door.
Behind the first man.
In front of him.
It doesn't matter.

There is another man there.
I can see him.

Their love for each other is boundless
and timeless.  Yet one man is pushing on
the door while the other is pulling.

I saw the two men let go of the door
and embrace.  And I saw so many men
try to get into the building and so many
men try to get out.

Some wanted to eat.
Some wanted to stop eating.

I got my arches fixed by a doctor.

Doctor Love.
Doctor God.

He wasn't in the building where the
men were eating.  Nor was he
outside waiting for a table.

He was preparing the meals.
And fixing the arches.

Dedicated to Carl Gustav  

© Copyright 2003 edh - All Rights Reserved
Galena
since 2003-03-27
Posts 10

1 posted 2003-03-27 08:58 PM

Is this a poem about 2 gay men holding up a mcdonalds?  No seriously though, I'm not sure what arches has to do with the men..maybe I"m just out of it though.  As far as the sound it sounded really good,

Galena

SimplyGold
since 2002-07-10
Posts 1453

2 posted 2003-03-30 02:18 PM

Greetings edh,

I don't really get this? I admit that this is beyond me, maybe it's just me though?

SG

Kamala
since 2003-04-17
Posts 59
CA, USA
3 posted 2003-04-21 01:53 PM

Edh,

at first it seemed like you were anthropomorphizing a mcdonalds, which is a cool idea.  especially in first person.  but then i got as confused as SimplyGold.  i think there are some gay guys in there and a hold-up... and then maybe a repairman fixing the arches?  anyway, i think you're really trying to talk about something else -- completely apart from the imagery perhaps?  possibly a larger, over-arching metaphor or allegory?  in any case, i didn't get it.  if we were face to face, i would ask what you were trying to say?  and hopefully we could discuss from there.  i mean, it's definitely got me intrigued, i just have no shagging clue how to crack the thing.

Kamala

"At times, indeed, almost ridiculous--
Almost, at times, the Fool."

~~ T.S. Eliot

maverick55
since 2003-04-14
Posts 36
Texas
4 posted 2003-04-24 08:37 AM

I have to agree with the confusion here. Can't find where it is going... keep losing the connections.
Seth
since 2003-04-13
Posts 74
Arizona
5 posted 2003-04-25 11:01 AM

I think the idea is great, I have read this poem so many times that it is starting to grow in me. I like it...but it needs some work. Keep this one in the dryer as it still has some wrinkles.(just make that up, I think) Some parts of the poem flow really well, and others seem to lie there refusing to wake up and explain themselves. Love this poem some more and we will all be happier in the morning.

~Seth

wings of the moon
since 2003-03-27
Posts 323
Pink bubblegum land
6 posted 2003-04-26 11:56 AM

seems to be from what i see a huge metaphor on love and God...

"Their love for each other is boundless
and timeless.  Yet one man is pushing on
the door while the other is pulling."

and how some, not meaning too, prevent others from enjoying God's "meals".
Its an interesting poem anyhow, will have to re-read it to understand it better though....

"more than yesterday, less than tomorrow, i love you"

edh
since 2003-03-26
Posts 111

7 posted 2003-04-30 03:10 PM

Well I don't usually explain myself because in some cases there are metaphors which it takes even me much time to understand.  Think about the realtionship of the ego and the id and the two men in the poem.  The battle of the flesh and the spirit inside peoples hearts and how it affects their relationship to God.  Or even think about relationships that people actually have with others and how even those relationships open and close doors.  Doors to things we want or wish for  "eating"  or things that we do not wish for "to stop eating".  The main point is the dualistic relationship that can divide and conquer the self.  Or even cure.
"I got my arches fixed."

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #2 » Arches

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary