navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #2 » Born To Sail
Critical Analysis #2
Post A Reply Post New Topic Born To Sail Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
BROTHER JOHN
since 2006-04-06
Posts 386

0 posted 2008-08-18 04:29 PM

Moonbeam and BobK,   here is my first attempt at free verse.  It is a try.

Shipmates, a story I rehearse to you
About Skip B. J., wall-eyed, wearing a beard
With whetting whiskers. He a cheat, bought cheap,
Brived shiftless souls to sail with barroom saints.

The christened ship, "Way-Out", longed moored in dreams,
While Skip dined and brewed: "My view's the shoreline
And dry lands wet with brimming drums of rum
On tap, while lost in night's benumbed moonshine."

Moored! "Way-Out" scorched by sun!  Impish outburst
Chained the cowed crew to concrete, each choice cast.
All played the game except a lonely one,
"Way-Out!"  She tossed awaiting maiden rites!

"Ole" B. J. died! A skipper born of brawn
Commanded: "Christened "Way-Out" was born and bred
To sail!"  With mooring lines cut, sails unfurled,
And winds obeying, the enslaved ship ... sailed!

© Copyright 2008 BROTHER JOHN - All Rights Reserved
Bob K
Member Elite
since 2007-11-03
Posts 4208

1 posted 2008-08-19 04:17 PM

Thank you, Brother John. I confess to enjoying a lot about this, though it's not free verse so much as blank verse.  Each line was pentameter—five feet—with one possible exception, while free verse doesn't necessarily need to follow such a pattern.  I say this not in an effort to get you to change what you're doing metrically, simply to help you keep your terms straight.  Nothing helps you get the distinctions as well as writing them.  Blank verse was what most of Shakespeare's plays were written in, and what most of Milton's work was written in as well.  It's a noble measure.  Yours is very creative, and makes use of a lot of internal work, alliteration and half rhyme.  You should be pleased with yourself here.  It's not terribly regular, and in fact has something in common with  some of the wonderful work by the Jesuit Gerard Manley Hopkins, who I think you probably shouldn't read yet, simply because he is so overwhelming and moving and his themes are religious, and the lure would probably be hard for you to resist right now.

Thank you so much for allowing me to have a look at this.  It feels much less tortured than the sonnets that you were working on.  I think that before you try more sonnets and stuff of that sort, you probably need to get some feel for the way that verse unfolds over stanzas and whole poems, and reading other good modern poets would help you almost as much as your continued writing practice.  Terrific!

JenniferMaxwell
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2006-09-14
Posts 2423

2 posted 2008-08-19 10:36 PM

It's not easy to step out of your comfort zone and try something new. Good for you. BJ!

moonbeam
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2005-12-24
Posts 2356

3 posted 2008-08-20 05:32 AM

BJ

Well done!  As JM says, it's not always easy to try new things, and as BK says, this is very creative.  

(Here I must pause just to wrap duck tape round Bob's mouth for mentioning Hopkins!)

What you don't need right now are the dual handicaps of religion and sprung rhythm!  

What you do need imo is a good dose of Sharon Olds.  

It would do you a lot of good imo to now try to move further away still from the "ancient mariner" style of telling us about "your" (the speaker's) life, towards something more up close and intimate.

Sharon is good at that!

M

BROTHER JOHN
since 2006-04-06
Posts 386

4 posted 2008-08-20 02:43 PM

Dear Moonbeam and  Bob K,

I thank  you both for sticking with me.  In a way this poem is my personal journey.  I am now seeing the freedom of blank verse.  New ideas are coming and the creative juices flowing.  

Bob,  I think I have found the meter problems and I have tried to work them out.  A new stanza has been added and I do not  think it detracts.  If so let me know.

Yes, Moonbeam you have been right all along and I am thankful for your guidance and patience.  I  am going to post a rewrite.  I am working now on a new poem in the first person.  As I work  with it, something mystical is happening to me.

BJ

BROTHER JOHN
since 2006-04-06
Posts 386

5 posted 2008-08-20 02:47 PM

Dear Jennifer,

I am old enough to be your grandfather.  Yet, you have taught me by your writings and inspired me with your encouragements.  

Thanks.

BJ

BROTHER JOHN
since 2006-04-06
Posts 386

6 posted 2008-08-20 03:13 PM

A rewrite of "Born To Sail"

Shipmates, a story I rehearse to you
About Skip B.J., wall-eyed, wore red beard
With wetted whiskers.  He bought cheaply and
Brived shifting souls to sail with barroom saints.

The christened ship,"Way-Out," longed moored in dreams
While dining Skip brewed: "My view's the shoreline
And dry lands wet with brimming drums of rum
On tap, while lost in night's benumbed moonshine!"

Moored! "Way-Out" scorched by sun!  Convulsed outbursts
Chained the cowed crew in concrete; each choice cast.
All played the game except a loney one,
"Way-Out." She tossed awaiting maiden rites!

As Skipper B.J. aged, he donned a frock
Of monkish gray and preached, "Ye must be filled
With spirits, it's inscribed in the Lord's will!"
The Rev rocked the docked "Way-Out," bow to stern!

"Ole" B.J. died! A skipper birthed of brawn
Commanded: "Christened "Way-Out," born and bred
To sail!"  With moorings cut loose, sails unfurled,
And winds obeying . . . the enslaved ship sailed!

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #2 » Born To Sail

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary