navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #2 » The prim'd and pale
Critical Analysis #2
Post A Reply Post New Topic The prim'd and pale Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Bill Shirnberg
since 2007-10-28
Posts 50
USA AOK

0 posted 2008-07-26 06:48 PM

I'll wax and wain
through seven hells
find  pearls of wisdom
In their shell's

© Copyright 2008 Bill Shirnberg - All Rights Reserved
moonbeam
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2005-12-24
Posts 2356

1 posted 2008-07-27 03:13 AM

wain  (wn)
n.
A large open farm wagon.

wane?

moonbeam
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2005-12-24
Posts 2356

2 posted 2008-07-27 05:53 AM

Ok Bill let's do the further detail.

Apart from the spelling error already noted this piece has other serious problems, and especially when you are writing a poem as short as this you really really need to ensure that every single aspect of it is a perfect as possible or it will instantly spoil the effect for your readers.

The title:  What is this "prim'd"?  Normally in such a position an apostrophe would suggest "ed" i.e. primed.  Did you mean that?  What am I missing? The pale and the waxing and waning suggest a moon motif which I suppose finds an echo in the shape and colour of a pearl later on.  But, kinda, so what?

Seven hells: Is this any more than the  "I'll have a bad time?" common usage.

"Pearls of wisdom": Don't you think that in a short poem like this it would help if you didn't include phrases that are so familiar and overused - dare I mention the "C" word!

Shell's:  What's with the apostrophe?

As well as the above the poem suffers from an inbuilt problem that renders it rather close to nonsense IMHO.

The difficulty centres around the word "their" in the last line. "Their" has to refer back to someone or something.  But what? There are only two possibilities IMO:

"seven hells" - if "their" refers to seven hells then it implies that seven hells have shells? Nonsense?

or,

"pearls of wisdom" - if "their" refers to pearls of wisdom (or even stretching the syntax just pearls) then we are into the realm of metaphor I presume. Pearls aren't normally ascribed "shells" - oysters yes, but not normally pearls.  In any event the way it's written here the suggestion is that the pearls of wisdom will be found in their own shells, which, allowing that they have shells, is kind of self evident isn't it?  Rather like saying "find bunny rabbits in their fur".

IMO this suffers from the common misconception that it's easier to write short pithy poems than longer ones. It isn't.  It's rather like a battle. Each word and line you lose places more weight and responsibility on those that remain - they have to perform heroically; and yours in this poem don't.

M

cauchy3
since 2008-06-10
Posts 61

3 posted 2008-07-31 04:22 PM

Waxen wickes and jossy sticks . Will candles give out darker flames
Bill Shirnberg
since 2007-10-28
Posts 50
USA AOK
4 posted 2008-08-23 03:21 AM

Probably should a worked on it more I wrote it in like five minutes and it shows I guess

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #2 » The prim'd and pale

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary