navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #2 » The fad
Critical Analysis #2
Post A Reply Post New Topic The fad Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
chopsticks
since 2007-10-02
Posts 888
The US,

0 posted 2008-07-24 09:03 AM

The daring  young  calculi
That started a storm
Then he found out
He had used the wrong form

He’s no English major
And his grammar is bad,
But he’ll stick to his butterfly
And start a new fad

This is the end of this sonnet
I could write some more,
But I’ll stop with three quatrains
And not be a bore

© Copyright 2008 My brother John. - All Rights Reserved
kaile
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Ascendant
since 2000-02-06
Posts 5146
singapore
1 posted 2008-07-24 11:34 AM

wah...naughty naughty..
chopsticks
since 2007-10-02
Posts 888
The US,
2 posted 2008-07-24 01:09 PM

Thanks Kaile, must be a slow day in Singapore . I looked up the acronyms for WAH and I hope you mean

“With a hug” if not, thanks anyhow.

moonbeam
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2005-12-24
Posts 2356

3 posted 2008-07-24 05:18 PM

This is stretching the definition of "sonnet" beyond breaking point IMO, even by my laissez faire standards. Maybe that's the point?  But again IMO all it serves to do is make the speaker look rather silly .

M

chopsticks
since 2007-10-02
Posts 888
The US,
4 posted 2008-07-24 06:38 PM

“All it serves to do is make the speaker look rather silly”

Thanks Moonbean, I had rather look silly than look pompous.  

oceanvu2
since 2007-02-24
Posts 1066
Santa Monica, California, USA
5 posted 2008-07-24 10:21 PM

Hi Chops.  You succeed sometimes beyond your wildest expectations.  At least in seeming silly.

Moonbeam:  Good to see you around again.  Glad you haven't mellowed over time.  Didn't think you would!  It's the tartness that makes a rhubarb pie so sweet.

Best, Jimbeaux

chopsticks
since 2007-10-02
Posts 888
The US,
6 posted 2008-07-24 11:31 PM

Hi Ocean, glad you showed up, it takes one to know one. Now I don’t feel like the silliest one here.

moonbeam
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2005-12-24
Posts 2356

7 posted 2008-07-25 05:45 AM

Oh dear, oh dear.  I apologise if my comments came off all pompous.  "Silly" perhaps has a more waspish tone where you come from.  I was simply trying to convey that the speaker had gone a little too far with the reference to a sonnet and spoiled an otherwise funny and light piece.  I withdraw "silly" and substitute "too daring IMHO".  

Hey there Jim!  Yes, it appears that despite my best efforts to reduce the acid in my elderflower cordial I'm still overdoing it.  I shall do my utmost to increase my pH level   .

M

chopsticks
since 2007-10-02
Posts 888
The US,
8 posted 2008-07-25 07:38 AM

“ I withdraw "silly" and substitute "too daring IMHO".

Thank you Moonbeam.

And I withdraw pompous and substitute something more approbate that is used where I

come from.

Please don’t keep using, stuff  for the bird, like IMHO and MO; as I am quite sure you are

not speaking for anyone else.

Btw, you have never heard of the expression, “ That stuff is for the birds “ It is a common

expression where I come from and we even know what “That stuff” is..

Ask Ocean, he knows, he knows everything .

moonbeam
Member Elite
since 2005-12-24
Posts 2356

9 posted 2008-07-25 08:53 AM

You've mixed up the threads here Chopsticks, and I know what you and I are talking about, but for the sake of anyone else reading I'll just copy the relevant strophe from your other thread:

"Well I have listened and the things I have heard .
Are quite disturbing and stuff for a bird
But, I’ll keep on searching for that desert rose ,
Even when the scent hurts my delicate nose ."

Yes of course I have heard of the expression "for the birds" although it's not common here any more.  I suppose given the context I should have guessed what you were trying to say.  It's just that I've never heard it used in the singular before - always "the birds" never "a bird".

On IMHO:

You'd be surprised just how often people, faced with my occasionally forceful and seemingly opinionated phraseology remind me that "it's just my opinion".  "That's just your opinion Moonbeam" is an inanely idiotic statement I'd rather not hear again.  In fact now I think of it I am sure a certain nearby moderator, having chastised me in such a manner, actually advised me to use IMHO regularly to remind people it was JMO - and with moderators and me, to hear is to obey.

Nevertheless I will bear your request in mind if it annoys you an awful lot.     It just goes to show that YCPEATT!!

M  

chopsticks
since 2007-10-02
Posts 888
The US,
10 posted 2008-07-26 07:59 AM

“ It just goes to show that YCPEATT ”

Nor should you try Moonbeam. If you do, IMHO you’ll never get back to base, and that

ANGAT

moonbeam
Member Elite
since 2005-12-24
Posts 2356

11 posted 2008-07-26 11:11 AM

Bon.
chopsticks
since 2007-10-02
Posts 888
The US,
12 posted 2008-07-27 10:22 AM

“ Yes, it appears that despite my best efforts to reduce the acid in my elderflower cordial I'm still overdoing it. I shall do my utmost to increase my pH level .”

Here is a little primer from long ago or was it this morning. I am happy to share and I hope it helps :

If you are on a low acid trip,
you will wax and wane until you flip.
The symptoms are really quite scary.
Friends will hide in the campus library

Get yourself a P H testing strip.
Run the test paper over your lip.
If it turns red get back into bed,
Should it turn blue its full speed ahead.

moonbeam
Member Elite
since 2005-12-24
Posts 2356

13 posted 2008-07-27 11:36 AM

Bon.
MOCindy
since 2008-07-30
Posts 73

14 posted 2008-07-30 07:09 PM

A very light-hearted one, Chops. Good. But in deep political or religious sense.
chopsticks
since 2007-10-02
Posts 888
The US,
15 posted 2008-07-30 09:18 PM

Thanks MOCindy and welcome aboard , you’ll enjoy  it more if you read it to the beat of “ The daring

young man on the flying  trapeze “

BROTHER JOHN
since 2006-04-06
Posts 386

16 posted 2008-08-03 03:39 PM

Dear chopsticks,

"The daring young calucli
That started a storm ... ."

I just finished reading the results after the storm.  There seems to be a calm now. BJ

chopsticks
since 2007-10-02
Posts 888
The US,
17 posted 2008-08-04 11:37 AM

Bro. John,

I tawt I taw a torm toud!
I did! I did taw a torm toud!

I’m just being silly again.

Moonbeam, I shouldn't have written this, it was just for my own enjoyment

moonbeam
Member Elite
since 2005-12-24
Posts 2356

18 posted 2008-08-04 02:28 PM

quote:
Bro. John,

I tawt I taw a torm toud!
I did! I did taw a torm toud!

I'm just being silly again.

Moonbeam, I shouldn't have written this, it was just for my own enjoyment

Yes, but by doing so you get your own thread to the top again ... and look wheeeeeeee there it is once more ...

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

19 posted 2008-08-04 02:56 PM

The calm of the storm is all about proximity.

Eyes of hurricanes are downright...serene.

Moonbeam? Do you do private critique via e mail?

I could use some help with a project...if you're interested, drop me a line?

(Make sure you put something in the subject line if you write though--I generally discard stuff I don't recognize--lessons learned from thrice burned, capice?)

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
Regina, Saskatchewan; Canada
20 posted 2008-08-04 08:17 PM

Of breaking rules you bear the bell
And write a Freeverse Sonnet well.

moonbeam
Member Elite
since 2005-12-24
Posts 2356

21 posted 2008-08-05 08:44 AM

Karen

Sorry, I only just picked this up and I know we are off topic so apologies to chopsticks.  

I am familiar with your writing Karen, and, apart from the fact that, as you are one of the most accomplished poets at PiP I probably have little to offer you, there is also the question of how you write.  I have to admit I often find your poems challenging but rewarding, the sort of writing that if I were to make suggestions and you were to accept them, would change the pieces completely.  I think that would be a great pity.  In any case, apart from all that I'm trying to keep my personal mail box clear at present.  It's often incoming mail that keeps me away from places like this, and to be honest I'm anxious not to open up new fronts right now.  

I hope you won't mind therefore if I say not at present, but that I feel ever so flattered and grateful that you asked me.

Best.

M

MOCindy
since 2008-07-30
Posts 73

22 posted 2008-08-05 03:48 PM

Of breaking rules you bear the bell
And write a Freeverse Sonnet well.

On rhyming tools you shine your spell
And chop the strings to hear the knell

C

chopsticks
since 2007-10-02
Posts 888
The US,
23 posted 2008-08-05 04:47 PM

Thanks MOCindy, but who say dat ?

MOCindy
since 2008-07-30
Posts 73

24 posted 2008-08-05 04:53 PM

C said.
serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

25 posted 2008-08-05 05:50 PM

It's your honesty that prompted me to ask, so I appreciate the consistency, as well as the nice words about my work.

and yanno?

You're probably right. I am not sure what I'm looking for anyhow in consideration of style.

But thank you for your thoughtfully kind rejection of me.

tsk...I am going to need to concentrate on other things soon anyhow.

Much love to you.

And my apologies to chops, for interrupting his thread for this personal, off-topic exchange.

chopsticks
since 2007-10-02
Posts 888
The US,
26 posted 2008-08-06 08:21 AM

Thanks everybody,  I got a laissez -faire, a sucker punch, a compliment, and two apologies out of this silly

poem.

Ain’t  life great.

hunnie_girl
Member Elite
since 2006-06-18
Posts 2567
Canada
27 posted 2008-08-11 03:23 PM

well I liked it Chops. it was... tres originale.
Krysti

chopsticks
since 2007-10-02
Posts 888
The US,
28 posted 2008-08-11 07:24 PM

Krysti, thank you so very much.  Saying it was originale was enough analyzing  for me.

moonbeam
Member Elite
since 2005-12-24
Posts 2356

29 posted 2008-08-12 03:44 AM

Krysti

For a poem of this quality, and where the writer has clearly invested very little time or energy into the piece and intends it just as a bit of fun - a teasing frivolity based upon the post of another person in the forum - your short and succint comment was most appropriate.  And, I might add, imo rather generous.

Chopsticks has however made the comment about being totally happy with your "critique" I think simply to highlight the fact that in Grinch's thread I suggested that you should make a more substantial critique.

I not entirely sure of the precise point he is making, as Grinch's poem is a piece which is worthy of a close reading and proper comment.  Anyway I hope you won't take offence at my suggestion to you in Grinch's thread, all I'm trying to do is lift the level of the comments in this forum above the "I liked it" to a point where both the crtiquer and the writer of the poem learn something useful.  I hope that helps to explain where I'm coming from.  No offence meant Krysti

Best.

M  

hunnie_girl
Member Elite
since 2006-06-18
Posts 2567
Canada
30 posted 2008-08-12 03:57 AM

ahh well I liked it because of its originality. It was unlike something anyone else would write and yes maybe it did not take long and it was not thought out but writing a poem for fun is not such a bad thing.. and no worries I was not offended the least bit
Krysti

moonbeam
Member Elite
since 2005-12-24
Posts 2356

31 posted 2008-08-12 05:36 AM

Wow, there is nothing wrong with writing a poem for fun!  Isn't that what we all do!?  Well, all my poems I write for fun, except those where I wish there was a high cliff nearby   .

My view is that you should still put as much effort into a poem which is humorous and lighthearted as one which is serious, if you plan to post it in a workshop forum for other people to help you improve it.  That just seems like common politeness to your readers to me   .  The poem in this thread maybe original but it has a grammatical error in the very first strophe.  I suppose I am at fault in not pointing that out at the outset.  My bad.

On seconds thoughts, maybe the error was deliberate given the second strophe.  At any rate, all I know is that this poem is not worth spending any more time "analysing" than the writer took to write it IMHO.

M

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
32 posted 2008-08-12 09:44 AM

Silliness is fun. I recommend that everyone try it once in a while. You seem to be good at it, chopsticks.

My only suggestion would be to put a nickel in the meter or, in this case, put a meter in the poem. That alone can turn silly into witty and make it sound more clever..

chopsticks
since 2007-10-02
Posts 888
The US,
33 posted 2008-08-12 10:39 AM

Moonbeam, like Ocean has said, “ Ya takes what ya gets”

“You seem to be good at it, chopsticks”

Thanks Balladeer, but come on now, should I really take you serious with your taste.

Gabe
since 2008-08-05
Posts 17

34 posted 2008-08-12 10:53 AM

chopsticks,

I read the other comments and yours then took a little time to tweak it a little.  I don't think anyone here has a problem with a light-hearted poem, but I think you missed a good opportunity to practice in writing "The fad."  Long ago when I was suffering from a serious case of writer's block, I found I could write something nonsensical.  It isn't worth posting here but it did serve as an exercise in writing in meter (I was just learning how to hear it at that time).

Here is what I came up with in tweaking "The fad."  Do you think this improves how the poem flows?

G

The daring young calculi
Started a storm
Until he found out
He had used the wrong form

He’s no Robert Frost
And his grammar is bad,
But he’ll stick to his guns,
Maybe start a new fad.

This could be a sonnet
If he could find the right rhyme,
But he stopped with three quatrains
‘Cause he ran out of time.

chopsticks
since 2007-10-02
Posts 888
The US,
35 posted 2008-08-12 10:59 AM

Gabe, I love your version and now that I owned it that is the one I’m sending to the Wall Street Journal

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
36 posted 2008-08-12 10:34 PM

should I really take you serious with your taste.

I have no idea what that means but, no, I guess not.

chopsticks
since 2007-10-02
Posts 888
The US,
37 posted 2008-08-13 09:47 AM

Dear Krysti, as long as you are here this place has some class.

Dear Gabe, your version  may be technically more correct, I don’t know that for sure, but you took all the sparkle out.

Dear Balledeer,  I really don’t know what to say, other than, you are the greatest .

~~ding-ding---ding-ding---ding-ding---ding-ding---ding-ding ~~

When I hear ten bells while the main engine is churning full astern, it only means one thing to me :

Anchors away.,

Goodbye all and have a nice trip,

Gabe
since 2008-08-05
Posts 17

38 posted 2008-08-13 11:38 AM

chopsticks,

I'm sorry you feel that way, but I don't think my changes were very signficant and I don't think you are being entirely fair.  These were my changes:

The daring young calculi [no changes]
Started a storm [deleted "That" to improve meter]
Until he found out [changed "Then" to "Until" for meter and syntax]
He had used the wrong form [no changes]

He’s no Robert Frost [changed "English major" to "Robert Frost"]
And his grammar is bad, [no changes]
But he’ll stick to his guns, [changed "butterfly" to "guns" because I found "butterfly" to be a little obscure]
Maybe start a new fad. [changed "And" to "Maybe" - thought it helped it flow better]

This could be a sonnet [changed this line because this is not a sonnet]
If he could find the right rhyme, [replaced whole line, "I could write some more"]
But he stopped with three quatrains [changed "I'll" to "he" because, until here, your poem was written in the third person]
‘Cause he ran out of time. [changed last line]

I believe I left the majority of your poem intact (seven lines are either left alone or only propose very minor changes) and only two lines were entirely replaced.  You've also written in rhyme, and when meter and rhyme are not working together in verse, it doesn't sparkle to me or probably to most critical readers.  I do agree that my version doesn't sparkle either.  Simply put, your poem isn't very well written and I was only trying to help you see the more glaring problems.

I am not intending to offend you, but from your replies, I gather you appreciate straight talk.

G

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #2 » The fad

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary