navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #2 » Eyes on fire.
Critical Analysis #2
Post A Reply Post New Topic Eyes on fire. Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
TyroStar
since 2007-01-31
Posts 38

0 posted 2008-06-28 07:57 PM

~Eyes on fire~

Like a flame dancing through the city
I burn through my love with you
Greens turn to black as a wilting flower
I breath in my love with you

Again and again for joy we strive
We reach for a spark to set us free
Pure as a child chasing a dream
We reach for what we cannot see

It all flies by until we find
A second stopped in the face of time
Our feet begin leave the ground
And so we begin our peaceful climb

Eyes on fire you look up at me
This is the way things are meant to be
Eyes on fire I look up to you
Just like this we'll make it through
[You may have guessed it, this is a poem about marijuana. I wrote it with my love in mind, of course. Any input would be much appreciated.]

© Copyright 2008 TyroStar - All Rights Reserved
chopsticks
since 2007-10-02
Posts 888
The US,
1 posted 2008-06-29 12:14 PM

Star, your poem is authentic maybe even genuine .

Your rhyme scheme is all over the page; but with this kind of a poem

it may not matter. Who can come with up a rhyme scheme when they are setting out tomato plants.?

oceanvu2
since 2007-02-24
Posts 1066
Santa Monica, California, USA
2 posted 2008-06-30 06:57 PM

Hi TyroStar!  If you hadn't mentioned it, I never would have guessed that this was a poem about marijuana.  It might be a poem about the effects of marijuana in a specific ramble on a heightened sense of loving, but I wouldn't have guessed that either.

I think I'd have to ask what is the "marijuananess" about this poem?  I don't know, I'm a literal guy.  Just me, but I'd start it with something like:

"Stoned the the gills, I'm sucking on my love with you."  

A line like this opens up the possibility of talking about what you are talking about.  There is indeed a childlike quality to this.  Good dope can do that for you.  At the same time, there's a barely hinted at raunchiness which comes with the territory. Might this be addressed?  Would this be too hard to get into?

The theme seems to have an inherent opportunity to express sensual experience.  Maybe, and it's just a maybe, you have a chance to go there.

There is a forum on this site for erotic verse.  What might happen if you re-expressed this there?  Nothing bad, of course, but an opportunity to play harder with what you are saying.

Best, Jimbeaux

chopsticks
since 2007-10-02
Posts 888
The US,
3 posted 2008-07-01 08:56 AM

.“ I wrote it with my love in mind, of course”

Of course you did.

There is no other substance that we abuse that we have a love affair with like we do with marijuana. I call “ Eyes on fire “ a pot flash, as I would call the red eyes of a person with a hangover as having a “ Budweiser flash “.

Your poem described a marijuana lover. I don’t know if you got the knowledge from an interview or if it was first hand, but you nailed it.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #2 » Eyes on fire.

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary