navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #2 » paper cup
Critical Analysis #2
Post A Reply Post New Topic paper cup Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
fitz1901
since 2008-04-19
Posts 16
Michigan, USA

0 posted 2008-06-10 08:27 AM

Paper Cup

Petals ignite on the ground
Off a broken vace off a broken shelf
In a broken home, with their broken smiles
Say “why don’t you stay a while”

And there’s bird alone on a power line
Just one watching over the sunrise
Day after day, fight after fight
I’m trapped, can’t watch a sunrise at night

They say when your life can be held in a paper cup
It obviously can’t amount to much.
But a paper cups all I’ve been given
Spite just can't be forgiven

Off broken vase off a broken shelf
Say “why don’t you just stay awhile
And watch the sunrise.

© Copyright 2008 fitz1901 - All Rights Reserved
fitz1901
since 2008-04-19
Posts 16
Michigan, USA
1 posted 2008-06-10 01:37 PM

Changed it up a little.

revised it a little

Paper Cup

Off a broken vase off a broken shelf
Say “why don’t you stay a while”

I'm like a bird alone on a power line
Just one waiting for the sunrise
Day after day, fight after fight
I’m trapped, can’t watch a sunrise at night

They say when your life can be held in a paper cup
It obviously can’t amount to much.
But a paper cup is all I’ve been given
A living testament, saying life's curse is never forgiven

Oh sunrise, i want to rise with you
sing like you, breath like you
rise above the misery, above this life
a bird who's found the sunrise

and can fly away.

dwgpoet
since 2007-03-05
Posts 122
FL, USA
2 posted 2008-06-11 11:30 PM

Hello "Paper Cup" writer

I see three seperate illustrations and I am not sure how smoothly they connect.

1) The Petals ignite are they the Petals who Say “why don’t you stay a while” or do the broken smiles Say “why don’t you stay?

2) The bird alone on a power line
fight after fight is trapped. Was the first poems envy part of the reason for trapped.

3) The paper cup shows hopelessness due to
life's curse being never forgiven.

4) But the "want" of hope arises as the "want" of the bird does rise with you to "fly away."

Asta, fitz from dwgpoet.

copyright dwgpoet 2007

chopsticks
since 2007-10-02
Posts 888
The US,
3 posted 2008-06-12 08:46 AM

1901 ( the year of my birth ) your poem needs some work I would start with the title.

I punched “ fly away “ in at youtube and came up with this :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjgYsHt71XE

Btw, you/ll never see a Canadian goose sitting on a power line.

I kind of like your poem.

fitz1901
since 2008-04-19
Posts 16
Michigan, USA
4 posted 2008-06-12 11:25 AM

Thank you

The first three stanzas express The limitations of life, the helplesseness of life, the shallowness of life..ect.

Its the people inside the house which say " Why don't you stay for a while" Thanks for bringing that up, I will experiment to see if I could make that clearer.

The revision of the poem says  "I'm Like a bird alone on a powerline." I'm comparing that bird to me.

About the title, I had several ideas for it including

the current ( paper cup)
Ode to the sunrise
Powerline
Broken
sunset in brief
etc.

I picked paper cup because I believe that was the best image to express the how limited I am in life. That line was the reason I got the poem on paper, as I couldn;t get the line out of my head.

I will consider changing

thank you for the critique.

Moth
since 2008-06-12
Posts 12

5 posted 2008-06-12 11:00 PM

This is my first crit so I apologise in advance if I’ve pitched it badly (and my UK spelling).

Overall I like your poem. There are a few things about the poem I don’t understand (which probably says more about my limited understanding of it), the first line for example.

I really like the image of petals igniting, it’s very strong but I can’t work out what it means. Is it metaphor or allegory and if so what’s it alluding to? I just can’t seem to get my head around it.

In the second line I can see why you may have chosen to repeat the word ‘off ‘. It is a device often used by Welsh poet (and one of my personal favourites) Dylan Thomas. I do think, however, if you are going to employ this sort of device then you will get more from it through different lination to distinguish the subjects (the vase and the shelf), giving each a reference of its own. The upshot of this is each subject contributes to the structure of the poem, a neat little trick that draws the poem and subject together, like this;

Off a broken vase
Off a broken shelf
In a broken home with their broken smiles [I’ve removed the comma here for flow]
Say “why don’t you stay a while?”

This also draws the reader into the last two lines, which are connected through the last rhyming word via the cheeky but effectively assonant ‘why’.

In the second verse you step immediately into simile with ‘I’m like a bird… ‘. I thought this undermined the strength you built up in verse one. I’d suggest you take the poetic bull by the horns and go for the metaphor and also tightening the first two lines;

I'm a bird on a power line,
Just waiting for the sunrise.

It’s a bit of a cliché for me to say ‘less is more’, but then cliché only becomes so because it has some truth to it.

Some good repetition again in lines 3 and 4 reflecting the device used in verse one. I like the coherence this gives the machinery of the poem.

Verse three is tricky. The rhythm is all over the place but as a single verse it deals with the biggest part of the theme so I can appreciate it being a bit full. I would suggest a reworking of these lines. It’s not necessary to use ‘They say’, because the poem is all about what you say. Also, your use of the word ‘obviously’ in line two comes over as saying more about what you think other people think than as a set up for the lines that follow. Being more direct will have more impact.  As an example I’ve reworked it a little.

When life can be held in a paper cup
It cannot amount to much.
A paper cup is all I’ve been given
A living testament,
Life's curse not forgiven

The power of this poem is the feeling of ‘longing to be free’ that is built up nicely from the last line of verse two. In verse four the overuse of the word ‘rise’ (4 instances including its use in the word ‘sunrise’) is overkill and the power of the word, and subsequently the poem, is lost. I would suggest you revisit verse four and remove all versions or ‘rise’ except the last one, which echoes verse two, pulling the poem together and setting up the final pay-off line.

I’m not sure if any of this is helpful, I hope it is. I admire the spirit of your poem and enjoyed reading it.    

Bill Shirnberg
since 2007-10-28
Posts 50
USA AOK
6 posted 2008-06-26 09:26 PM

Hmmm I like it as it is and is'nt
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #2 » paper cup

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary