navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #2 » A lame lecture on friendship
Critical Analysis #2
Post A Reply Post New Topic A lame lecture on friendship Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
poddarku
since 2008-01-15
Posts 589
india

0 posted 2008-02-03 01:51 AM

A lame lecture on friendship

He is just the other end of the river,
    The wavy water of mankind.
He liked to swim against
The stream.
Without knowing,
                           He is just a drop of water.
Friend, I call him.
However mediocre, I am,
A pebble at the shore of earth.
Between us
We complete the jigsaw puzzle
On earth.

© Copyright 2008 poddar kushal - All Rights Reserved
chopsticks
since 2007-10-02
Posts 888
The US,
1 posted 2008-02-03 07:44 AM

I get this one and I like it , but If I didn’t, it would be Poddarku’s fault.

Btw, I would lose " Lame " in the title.

Grinch
Member Elite
since 2005-12-31
Posts 2929
Whoville
2 posted 2008-02-03 07:58 AM

I don’t get it - but  as Chops does I’m probably missing something so consider it a fault on my part.

The other end of the river is either the sea or the source (mountain?), the wavy water of mankind suggests the sea. Swimming against the stream doesn’t make sense in relation to the sea, shouldn’t it be the tide? The speaker calls him friend but then seems to claim to be a pebble, the relationship between the relentless sea and a pebble smashed by each wave doesn’t evoke a friendly relationship in my mind. The sea erodes and destroys the beach, it doesn't embrace it. The jigsaw reference is unclear, what puzzle, unless it’s one of opposites, do they solve.

Then we get into additional questions, the main one being “Do I believe it?”.

chopsticks
since 2007-10-02
Posts 888
The US,
3 posted 2008-02-03 10:09 AM

“ I’m probably missing something so consider it a fault on my part.”

Grinch, you may come under some clause that we don’t know about yet. Maybe the missing link clause .

Take your reply line by line :

The other end of the river is either the sea or the source (mountain?    (So far so good)

The wavy water of mankind suggests the sea .  ( OK, good metaphor )

Swimming against the stream doesn’t make sense in relation to the sea,   ( Salmon do it all the time )

Shouldn’t it be the tide?  ( Could be tide, but I think stream is better)

The speaker calls him friend but then seems to claim to be a pebble, the relationship between the relentless

sea and a pebble smashed by each wave doesn’t evoke a friendly relationship in my mind. ( Another good

Metaphor describing the hard life the two friends have lived )

The sea erodes and destroys the beach, it doesn't embrace it. The jigsaw reference is unclear, what puzzle,

unless it’s one of opposites, do they solve.. ( Here the poet is taking  that poetic thing,  I forget what it is

called )

Then we get into additional questions, the main one being “Do I believe it?” ( It depends on what your

definition of it is )

Grinch
Member Elite
since 2005-12-31
Posts 2929
Whoville
4 posted 2008-02-03 11:34 AM

As I said, I don’t get it but Chops seems to, I'm sure he can offer some suggestions for improvement.

chopsticks
since 2007-10-02
Posts 888
The US,
5 posted 2008-02-03 12:49 PM

As I said, I don’t get it but Chops seems to, I'm sure he can offer some suggestions for improvement.”

Grinch, no where near as much as you could , if you had only got it.

Pardarku lives on one side of the wavy water I live on the other side. I think of him as a friend. and metaphysically speaking we are friends so together we complete the jigsaw puzzle.

I don’t know what part of India Pardarku lives in , but I spent the hottest month of my life at the King George locks in Calcutta. Maybe that makes us a little bit closer friends.

Pardarku, if you ever get to Baltimore the curry chicken is on me.

TomMark
Member Elite
since 2007-07-27
Posts 2133
LA,CA
6 posted 2008-02-04 12:02 PM

I think that this is a very beautiful poem and a very warm one.  You may want to post in open #42

Thank you my dear friend. It is indeed a beautiful poem.
Tom

poddarku
since 2008-01-15
Posts 589
india
7 posted 2008-02-04 10:08 AM

thank you all.  chop, you got it right!
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #2 » A lame lecture on friendship

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary