navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #2 » Heartache
Critical Analysis #2
Post A Reply Post New Topic Heartache Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Croatanese
since 2007-04-15
Posts 4
Croatia

0 posted 2007-04-15 05:22 PM

Up there, high above,
Sleeps the god of love;
My heart now beats in pain
And I whish for a romantic rain:

As Cupid sleeps in a rainy cloud
His snore turns drops into his arrows;
So I close my eyes when it rains
To cry with lids lit and lonely fellows.

I just don't know what cloud is his bed
So I must catch the notorious fortune:
I wonder in which cloud a lucky dice roll
To be right below it when they finally fall.

And as he sleeps, his wings flutter
Breaking the cloud as a devious wind:
So one must hurry, instead, as a nutter,
Not eat sweet peach but lemon's rind.

So his sleep is short
As lovers to be yearn:
''Wake up, winged boy,
We got love to learn!''

But when I open my eyes, if I see love,
I needn't awoken Cupid's bow and arrow:
It's already in heart, sings as a nightingale
Not sitting on a branch like a sad sparrow.

So raindrops of love fall from Heaven
Touching eyelids of lucky ones 24/7:
They were lit before, but just out of hope,
And now out of kiss: it's like being on dope!

As a way of saying thanks,
Those in love would gladly give
World's most beautiful bow
To little god, as now they live:

It's, what else, a rainbow
Dancing in brightest colors;
But it's an upward aiming bow
Oh, our Cupid has troubles!

The only ones he can aim at
Are lonely clouds wandering above,
And even if he makes them cry
They will die out of tears of love.

So the one chance Roman god has
Is to use the rainbow as a long bow:
Releasing his arrow without aim
To hit lucky one, killing just sorrow.

And distant Cupid might well be
But love calls from distance too:
It sings the heart's sweetest melody
To love birds, maybe me and you.

[This message has been edited by Croatanese (04-16-2007 12:48 AM).]

© Copyright 2007 Domagoj Stic - All Rights Reserved
lifeonly
since 2006-10-18
Posts 18
Ontario, Canada
1 posted 2007-04-20 03:18 PM

Hey there, welcome to the forums.

There were a few spelling and grammar errors in the poem that caught my eye and made me loose my focus.

L3: whish (wish)
L22: awoken (awaken)

Some of the rhyming seemed a bit forced which caused some parts of the poem to feel awkward.  You start the poem in a somber tone but it turns more playful as the poem goes on as you use phrases like, "as a nutter" and "it's like being on dope!".

I'd suggest running another edit on this poem to rid of some of these problems.  I did see some original phrasing and potential for some great ideas in the work.  So, its a start, but I think it will need some work.

Croatanese
since 2007-04-15
Posts 4
Croatia
2 posted 2007-04-20 03:37 PM

So, its a start, but I think it will need some work.

Me too. Not a bad idea, eh? Heh, I guess I do have my moments.  

Domagoj Stic. That is my name. What else do you want me to say?

oceanvu2
since 2007-02-24
Posts 1066
Santa Monica, California, USA
3 posted 2007-04-20 03:40 PM

There are some nice bits of whimsy in this, which is good, because it is hard to talk about Cupid with a straight face.  I think this has the makings of a very good satirical piece if you want to go in that direction.  It comes down to choosing between laughing at love, or enduring it.  It's hard to have it both ways.

Jim

Croatanese
since 2007-04-15
Posts 4
Croatia
4 posted 2007-04-20 03:55 PM

One motive, instead of two, maybe even three, eh ocean? I agree. What was I thinking! Maybe I wasn't. Yes, the idea is not bad, but I don't have my personal technique in which I usually write. I should tame my flames, not let them tame me. Yes, a poet should tame his poem, and the poem should tame the reader. Well, you don't look so tamed to me, so I'll just keep trying!  

oceanvu2
since 2007-02-24
Posts 1066
5 posted 2007-04-20 04:12 PM

Hi -- I forgot to mention that it is truly nifty to find someone posting from Coratia!  Quick question: you mention that you do not have your normal writing tools at hand, so I am wondering if English is your first language?  Aside from odds and ends of spelling, which crop up in most posts on this Forum, English seems to be a language you have clearly mastered.  Trust me, that's a very serious compliment.

Jim

Croatanese
since 2007-04-15
Posts 4
Croatia
6 posted 2007-04-20 04:33 PM

Well, it means something, but it shouldn't draw your attention too much. Because, I red translation in Croatian of some English and Russian poems, some of which I have read in English too, as a comparison. I don't understand Russian though, just a few words. So the translation of poems of Jesenjin was truly great. Heh, no need to learn Russian at all. It was one hell of a translation, as to translate a poem, particularly of high caliber, is literally making a new poem. You have to capture the moment right, find the right words. And some English poems, can't remember which though, sounded even better translated. But yes, it is not a coincidence that world languages are world languages. Also, I have to disagree with you, as I am quite certain, that I haven't mastered English language, because I haven't mastered not even Croatian language. My level of education is not that high, and my God do I miss it now, being just a workingman. Still, as I said, I do have my moments, but I am afraid they will not surpass the present level. Thanks anyway.

oceanvu2
since 2007-02-24
Posts 1066
7 posted 2007-04-20 04:43 PM

Hi -- You do yourself an injustice. Very few native English speakers on this forum have mastered English either, and certainly not at your level.  

As to being a working man, so were many great poets writing in all languages.  Formal education is not a pre-requisite to sophisticated and resounding expression.  The fact that you read poetry at all indicates that you are hardly naive.

Best, Jim

rhia_5779
since 2006-06-09
Posts 1334
California
8 posted 2007-04-21 06:06 PM

Yeah you probaly speak english better than me and I AM a native speaker. I think you coudl compact this piece a bit and make it shorter and more concise while not losing the touches that make this a good piece. I like the idea of using Cupid which is soposed to be a icon for happy love for heartache.

RhIa

NerudaLover
since 2007-04-22
Posts 3

9 posted 2007-05-25 04:53 AM

Hello there! Your images are interesting, but you need to make them more vivid; and as you crystalize yoru images, make sure that the rhythm of the poem is smooth.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #2 » Heartache

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary