navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #2 » first timer here
Critical Analysis #2
Post A Reply Post New Topic first timer here Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Robbie
since 2007-04-08
Posts 8

0 posted 2007-04-09 06:19 PM

This is really my first shot at a poem. I've written them for school and such, but never really tried to write one just for myself. Nor have I ever taken any writing classes, except for English of course. So please, tell me how it is and what I need to practice on, cuz undoubtedly there is much that needs practice.  I can't even come up with a title

a wolf-cub
new to this life
his fur so clean
white, innocent
stretches his paws,yawns
peeks his out of the den
first glimpse of the world
frightened by the wild, yet
calmed by his mother

a fawn, so feeble on new legs
takes step, then falls
only to try again
and again until,
success

a destined couple
brought together by fate
sealed by love
take on the hardships of life
side by side,they overcome
all that is thrown their way
a step never missed
heartbeat never skipped
indeed, true love
is so beautiful

© Copyright 2007 Robbie - All Rights Reserved
viking_metal
since 2007-02-02
Posts 1337
In a Jeep, Minnesota.
1 posted 2007-04-09 07:28 PM

a wolf-cub
new to this life
his fur so clean (stronger adjective than clean)
white, innocent
stretches his paws,yawns (describe yawns)
peeks his out of the den (his what?)
first glimpse of the world (what kind of glimpse?)
frightened by the wild, yet
calmed by his mother (what kind of mother?)

a fawn, so feeble on new legs
takes step, then falls
only to try again
and again until,
success (she steps to success perhaps?)

a destined couple
brought together by fate
sealed by love (sealed together)
take on the hardships of life
all that is thrown their way
a step never missed
heartbeat never skipped
indeed, true love (this needs more meat)
is so beautiful (so does this)

Sorry for the less than substantial critique. I felt compelled to critique it. Nap time.

You have potential, keep at it!

Regards,

-Paul

Robbie
since 2007-04-08
Posts 8

2 posted 2007-04-10 10:44 PM

Mmmk, thanks. Now that it is pointed out I can see what I need to change. But the whole meat thing, you do mean more to the line right? Heh, sorry for such denseness.
rhia_5779
since 2006-06-09
Posts 1334
California
3 posted 2007-04-11 05:11 AM

wolf-cub
new to this life
his fur so clean (stronger adjective than clean)

white, innocent (You do not need white I think because you already have innocent and that implies white.

stretches his paws,yawns (describe yawns)
peeks his out of the den (his what?)
first glimpse of the world (what kind of glimpse?)

frightened by the wild, yet (this line is has potential to be deep, describe what frightens him.

calmed by his mother (what kind of mother?)

a fawn,  feeble on new legs
takes a step, then falls(try something other than falls, like collapses, what does she fall on

only to try again
and again until,(I think you can take out this line and just have the'only to try again' and the last bit and it is fine.
success (she steps to success perhaps?)

a destined couple
brought together by fate(if they are destined then it implies they are brought together by fate, but describe is this good, is fate good now or is it messing something up

sealed by love (sealed together)[I think what he already had is fine actually, but maybe 'sealed by together by love
take on the hardships of life(what hardships are there
all that is thrown their way (which is what

a step never missed
heartbeat never skipped  ( You could be more descriptive to describe this

indeed, true love (this needs more meat) [I completely agree
is so beautiful (so does this) (why is it beautiful?
Its a good first poem. Welcome to PiP

ChristianSpeaks
since 2006-05-18
Posts 396
Iowa, USA
4 posted 2007-04-11 04:09 PM

I disagree. I think that the straight forward nature of this one is clean and understandable. I don't think you gain anything from describing the yawn or the mother. Why can't I see the yawn and the mother in my mind's eye without being bothered by the writer? this is good. clean simple not over done. Welcome to PiP. we're glad you're here.

Dane

TyroStar
since 2007-01-31
Posts 38

5 posted 2007-04-11 05:34 PM

Ok, so the beginning of the poem is about a new born stepping into the wild, which is an ok idea. But, it then just drastically changed to a love poem in the last stanza. It doesn't describe the meeting of a partner, or who the love is. It seems to me like it's just kind of slapped on to the end.

Also, I agree with the previous suggestions about making the descriptions more in depth. Basic is good at times, but with a poem about a cub stepping into the wild (a subject that has been ventured into many times before), the descriptive words are necessary to make the poem original, and creative. Otherwise it's boring to the reader. Especially one who's spent a lot of time reading poetry, who would have already came across this idea.

Bare in mind, my goal is not to completely rip apart your idea, just saying it's too cliche to not include your own descriptions and elaborate on the individual ideas.

Oh, and, welcome! (:

Robbie
since 2007-04-08
Posts 8

6 posted 2007-04-11 08:32 PM

Mmmk, thanks to all. Most the last one though. The others, thanks for the help with the poem, but what he/she posted was really what I was looking for. I shot into this whole poetry thing completly blind, n seeing that is quite helpful.

For seeing the last stanza being slapped on, well yea, but not really. This whole this was sorta, slapped together I guess. I was bored, so I just started writing. Really about nothing, just whatever came to mind. N the whole cub thing was because I like the idea of writing about wolves. All because of White Fang. But really, it was written without any inspiration and sort of just to write it.

Can yall point me in the direction of where I could get some help or teaching about poetry? I joined because I figured this would be a good place. Do yall know of any others? Ah, and I plan on takin creative writing next year as it is. I don't know what else I'm going to take. Ha. I'm lost at the school. I'm going to be a sophomore and I've got no plans for much of anything right now.

*Taken care of Dane. Thanks for the warning.

[This message has been edited by Robbie (04-12-2007 04:53 PM).]

ChristianSpeaks
since 2006-05-18
Posts 396
Iowa, USA
7 posted 2007-04-12 11:41 AM

Robbie-

WARNING

Leave the IM speak for chatting with your friends. Dropping g's and using a single letter for a word will not fly here. Take yourself seriously and we will return the favor.

Dane

TyroStar
since 2007-01-31
Posts 38

8 posted 2007-04-12 05:04 PM

One thing that's always good for new writers is just to look at other poetry, and absorb what you see. It helps to use metaphors, and imagery as much as possible. To find out about things like that, just google them and see what you find. Check out these sites- http://wwwstage.valpo.edu/english/vpr/mcdonaldessay.html http://www.everypoet.org/pffa/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9963

As far as the second link, I would suggest you do not post in those forums. Trust me. They will rip you apart. Good luck with writing. (:

rhia_5779
since 2006-06-09
Posts 1334
California
9 posted 2007-04-14 04:57 AM

Check out the Teen forum
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #2 » first timer here

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary