navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #2 » A vengeful mind
Critical Analysis #2
Post A Reply Post New Topic A vengeful mind Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
TyroStar
since 2007-01-31
Posts 38

0 posted 2007-04-08 05:47 AM

I lay here and try to forget they once were
Like a shepherd who’s lost her sheep
But the thoughts that plague my mind
Leave my bound, unable to sleep

My eyelids are unbearably heavy
But my memories pull like a truck
The clock is still vigorously ticking
But time just seems to be stuck

~It's a short one. There was a third stanza, but it left the poem without a feeling of completeness. And I wasn't too fond of it anyways.. it was the only one of the stanzas that I really had to force.

© Copyright 2007 TyroStar - All Rights Reserved
viking_metal
since 2007-02-02
Posts 1337
In a Jeep, Minnesota.
1 posted 2007-04-08 01:57 PM

I liked this! I usually don't care much for rhymed work, but I truly enjoyed this piece.
TyroStar
since 2007-01-31
Posts 38

2 posted 2007-04-08 07:54 PM

Thank you very much. (:
Aurelian
since 2007-03-20
Posts 109
TX, USA
3 posted 2007-04-09 01:09 PM

Couple notes: if its' a her, it should be shepherdess.

4th line should be me instead of my.

Try to find other words for "unbearably" and "vigorously." Adverbs can be easy to overuse and they frequently take away from the "punch" and immediacy of the piece.

All the best - Josh

ChristianSpeaks
since 2006-05-18
Posts 396
Iowa, USA
4 posted 2007-04-09 01:40 PM

I think you might want to add a third stanza. I don't feel the length is giving us enough information. I get an incomplete picture.

Sorta reminds me of Octavio Paz's "Sleep" He needed quite a few more words to get his thought across. Think in that direction.

Dane

TyroStar
since 2007-01-31
Posts 38

5 posted 2007-04-10 06:18 AM

Yeah, I read this over many times and never saw the my.. One of those things that I just knew what it should be, and saw it as if it were correct.. I'll start working on a third, maybe forth stanza. Thank you all. (:
oceanvu2
since 2007-02-24
Posts 1066
Santa Monica, California, USA
6 posted 2007-04-10 07:06 PM

"But my memories pull like a truck" -- great image.

I agree with most of the comments made above in terms of cleaning it up a little, but I think, given that, it will probably stand as it is unless a third stanza takes it in an unexpected direction.

Rhyming is good for the soul.  In the rhymed work which appears in this forum, I find it interesting, or curious, that few folks, myself included, work with a longer line.

It can be done quite well.  One possible example is Emily Bronte's "Rememberance."  It's an ABAB rhyme scheme, wonderful variation in the five beat lines, and, to the point, on a similar theme.

If you want to continue to work with rhyme and structure, and certainly no reason not to, this might offer yet another avenue for expression.

Good job!

Jim

TyroStar
since 2007-01-31
Posts 38

7 posted 2007-04-13 04:44 PM

Thank you all. I'm working on a third stanza soon. And of course, i'll be fixing all the grammatical errors. Also working on some word choice. [:
sampo
since 2007-02-25
Posts 54
oz
8 posted 2007-04-14 12:52 PM

tyro -

didn't get much out of this poem, some thoughts -

I lay here and try to forget they once were
Like a shepherd who’s lost her sheep

okay, what is the context for the shepherd simile? besides, seems the shepherd would be out looking for his sheep. the theme of trying to forget isn't carried through the poem.

But the thoughts that plague my mind

what 'thoughts'? that's really vague.

Leave m(e) bound, unable to sleep

My eyelids are unbearably heavy
But my memories pull like a truck

where did the truck come from? it's fine to use similes to make comparisons, but they really aught to be in context with whatever the theme is here. as it is you've got a shepherd image and a truck, how are they linked to your threadbare theme?

The clock is still vigorously ticking
But time just seems to be stuck

now it's over. you're opening line of trying to forget someone was never clarified. it's fine to be abstract, but there needs to be an underlying metaphor. this is too garbled.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #2 » A vengeful mind

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary