navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #2 » my skeletons
Critical Analysis #2
Post A Reply Post New Topic my skeletons Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
ashlbee_86
since 2007-01-24
Posts 9
Michigan, USA

0 posted 2007-01-24 01:23 AM

Consequences of starving affection:
A violet shrinking, fasting, and
                         fal l i n g                                                        
                                  a  w   a     y
receives the collision of this
crushing kiss with
empty bones.

g a u n   [t]    s k i n   s h o w i n g
a    secret    s  k  e  l  e  t  o  n    
w h i l e   s h a k i n g
l i m b s
pledge
self perfection.

© Copyright 2007 Ashley - All Rights Reserved
rhia_5779
since 2006-06-09
Posts 1334
California
1 posted 2007-01-24 11:07 AM

The last bit of lettering is kind of confusing. I like it though. In the first bit the lettering works well and the idea unwravels well. It feels more disjointed in the second bit, err not disjointed but not as together
ashlbee_86
since 2007-01-24
Posts 9
Michigan, USA
2 posted 2007-01-24 11:35 AM

Hmm...thanks you Rhia. I appreciate your help. The spacing at the end of the poem is supposed to seem like a skeleton-with all the spaces and all.
Brad
Member Ascendant
since 1999-08-20
Posts 5705
Jejudo, South Korea
3 posted 2007-01-27 08:37 PM

I suppose I should come clean here. I'm not a big fan of this type of style. The typographical oddity thing just doesn't work for me. So much so, that about six months ago, a buddy and I got into a screaming, drunken 'discussion' over the merits of E. E. Cummings. I think he's one of the most overrated poets of the twentieth century.

The other guy disagreed.  

I can see some merit, perhaps, in light verse and I admit I played around with it myself a long time ago, but I just don't think it works very well.

Advice: Use the language to convey what you want and avoid this whenever possible.

But then again it may only be an idiosyncrasy of mine.  

[This message has been edited by Brad (01-27-2007 10:49 PM).]

Not A Poet
Member Elite
since 1999-11-03
Posts 3885
Oklahoma, USA
4 posted 2007-01-27 09:47 PM

It's not just you, Brad. I agree that poetry is about words and words should cary the weight. I'm sure we will get arguments though.

viking_metal
since 2007-02-02
Posts 1337
In a Jeep, Minnesota.
5 posted 2007-02-03 12:45 PM

I absolutely loved this.

If you read any of my other comments on other poems, I can be a bit ruthless at times, and I almost always see something wrong.

I was hard pressed to find anything here.

I found this poem refreshing. The format was interesting and easy to read for me, though others thought it might have been a bit confusing. Congratulations on a first class poem!

Keep up the great work,

-paul

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #2 » my skeletons

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary