navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #2 » A Kind Of Error (on-going reshuffle)
Critical Analysis #2
Post A Reply Post New Topic A Kind Of Error (on-going reshuffle) Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
kif kif
since 2006-06-01
Posts 439
BCN

0 posted 2006-06-29 12:49 PM

A Swift extinction for the taboo.
All that matters is neighbourhood.

'Superbia' localises Good,
but I digress;

the plinth is rude, and roughly made
this tale, that's mirrored, misunderstood.

Keep asking the impossible,
for it's all that's going to give...

A parody of Leviathan
is all that sustains man.

[This message has been edited by kif kif (07-01-2006 04:01 PM).]

© Copyright 2006 kif kif - All Rights Reserved
Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
Regina, Saskatchewan; Canada
1 posted 2006-07-01 03:05 PM

I would suggest supporting the sayings you make with some sort of clarification in the poem itself, some sort of descriptive illustration or example.  The reader shouldn't be expected to fill in a suggestion at every turn with a matter that the writer didn't put in the poem.  On the other side, the writer shouldn't be expected to grind a matter down to every little detail.  A balanced mean between the two is probably best.  

kif kif
since 2006-06-01
Posts 439
BCN
2 posted 2006-07-01 03:33 PM

I hoped that every word would explain the meaning, but I understand; I'm thinking of Johnathan Swift, his political ideas, and you don't know that. I assumed that whoever read this would associate the word 'Leviathan', from Hobbes, reflected in 'Gullivers Travels' with the idea behind this, 'the State', an 'artificial animal'.

I know as well that it's bare. Is that bad?

Also, I'm struggling with where to put "keep asking the...all that's going to give". I did write more on the 1st re-shuffle, but I deleted it. It's not about my opinion, (which was included in the 1st re-write) it's just what it is. I'll think on, thanks for your help, Essorant.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #2 » A Kind Of Error (on-going reshuffle)

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary