navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #2 » My enemy
Critical Analysis #2
Post A Reply Post New Topic My enemy Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
pen&paper
since 2006-06-06
Posts 513

0 posted 2006-06-16 04:02 PM

You hate me
Because I’m me
Because I’m not what you want me to be

You hate me
Because I disagree
Because I cannot see what you want me to see

You hate me
Because I know  
The way you are ,why you’re So
Because I resist the tide
That endlessly is flowing by
I want my life to be mine
I don’t want to flow with your tide
That endlessly is flowing by

You hate me
Because I’m right
Because I want to be in the light

I hate you
Because you see
Only one side of me
Because you are exactly what I don’t want to be
My enemy

[This message has been edited by pen&paper (06-16-2006 08:03 PM).]

© Copyright 2006 Cierra L. Robbeloth - All Rights Reserved
The Shadow in Blue
since 2006-05-18
Posts 493
EL, Michigan
1 posted 2006-06-16 05:11 PM

Nice write up. I liked the flow and simplicity of it. The only thing I don't really get is this line,

"That endlessly is fowing by"

Otherwise It was pretty darn good.

^_^
Jill

Skippyrick
since 2006-05-16
Posts 150
Rohnert Park
2 posted 2006-06-17 02:07 PM

hI:

Hate is a stong word.  do you hate this person or do hate yourself of wanting to be with this person.  It seems a poem but you did write it.  Why did  you write?  and why would I would I want to read it again.  

Rick

Frank W. Torres
since 2006-06-10
Posts 133

3 posted 2006-06-17 07:36 PM

Powerful write.
pen&paper
since 2006-06-06
Posts 513

4 posted 2006-06-17 07:43 PM

I actually wrote this about someone who used to be my best friend. She claims she's popular now because she ditched me. The truth is she's a slut.
Skippyrick
since 2006-05-16
Posts 150
Rohnert Park
5 posted 2006-06-17 09:02 PM

hi:

IF that is the case then show me that in your poetry.

Rick

Not A Poet
Member Elite
since 1999-11-03
Posts 3885
Oklahoma, USA
6 posted 2006-06-17 10:25 PM

Reads more like a Dear John (or Dear Jane as the case may be). Where is the poetic content? Sure it's strong but what value is that? You could have just as well written "Go to hell" and saved a lot of time. You have to do a lot of work on this one. Remember, poetry should show, not tell.

calxaed
since 2006-06-09
Posts 21
North Lincolnshire, UK
7 posted 2006-06-18 06:30 AM

I do like the flow and the rhythm of this, but I have to agree with the above. I think you need to take a step back from your feelings and try to devise a way of expressing them that's a bit less immediate and personal. Poem are after all a construction, and there are many poetic devices that can be used to express a feeling; images, tropes etc.
Also the feelings expressed in this seem, although sincere, seem to be a little hypocritical and one sided.

You hate me
Because I disagree
Because I cannot see what you want me to see

does not seem to go very well with:

You hate me
Because I’m right

kif kif
since 2006-06-01
Posts 439
BCN
8 posted 2006-06-19 08:08 AM

Hello pen&paper.

I like the rhythm of this, but you're using too many abstractions (hate), too many dead metaphors and similies (the tide flowing), and there's not much imagary to get our imaginations around.

Repetition only works for me when it's there to 'punch', but all I got from this was 'oh, can't be bothered thinking something else'. Plus, forced rhyme highlights all the other problems.

I can see that the subject alone was the vehicle to produce this, which is fine, but that can hold you back if you're not looking objectively. My advice would be to re-write, and show the feelings you tell...imagine someone didn't understand the concept of hate, or the frustration the protagonist feels. Describe it.

loveislove
since 2006-06-25
Posts 59
USA
9 posted 2006-07-16 07:10 PM

it kinda reminds me of my poem (I'm only me) i like the content..and the flow...the line "that endlessly is flowing.." was kind of shaky but other than that i really  like the feeling that u clearly put into it

The more people that I can make EXTREMELY uncomfortable, the better

ChristianSpeaks
since 2006-05-18
Posts 396
Iowa, USA
10 posted 2006-08-01 01:05 AM

I'd love to see you take this in a different direction- if the woman is a slut then tell me about it. Don't be all nicey nicey by starting stanzas with the same idea. Show me what you think and make it personal. Otherwise I think that you just got served in some fashion, not this this chick is worthless.

CS

An artist's job is not to commentate the truth.
An artist's job is to create it.
-Dane Barner

artexeres
since 2006-08-01
Posts 156
south africa
11 posted 2006-08-01 09:45 AM

very one sided opinion, when all is well fine yet if not? a angry write i think and perhaps see things from both stand points of view.
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #2 » My enemy

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary