navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #2 » Loath Actually
Critical Analysis #2
Post A Reply Post New Topic Loath Actually Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
ricdob
since 2005-11-17
Posts 3

0 posted 2005-11-17 09:46 PM

Loath Actually.

I battle rap and I roll dice
but the taste of you…
don’t taste so nice
so sell me out for one last high
and sell your soul and learn to drive
just…don’t hesitate to hit the breaks
as the wall meets with your pretty face
and locks your lips , a crimson kiss
a letter etched in ball point bliss

I sold my guns to buy you knifes
To cut your friends cause it seemed right
And with the change I bought my mind
Back from the pawn shop you can’t hide
Cause I got maps to every place you’ve ever been
Exempt for space inside your head
Which I don’t mind
Cause nothings there
That I can’t find.

© Copyright 2005 ricdob - All Rights Reserved
eminor_angel
since 2003-05-22
Posts 323
Canada
1 posted 2005-11-18 03:27 PM

would look nicer if you used the plural 'knives' instead.
ricdob
since 2005-11-17
Posts 3

2 posted 2005-11-20 06:19 AM

Yeah thanks my grammer/spellings awful lol...
selfishfish
since 2005-11-20
Posts 2

3 posted 2005-11-21 12:08 PM

the bad grammar turned me off.  

i think that if you are going to post in a critical forum and if you're going to expect people to take the time to seriously evaluate your work then you should put equal effort into posting preparation.  in a forum such as this, it's is a matter of respect between writer and reader.  if a person doesn't even care enough to proofread then why should another care to even comment?

cynicsRus
since 2003-06-06
Posts 591
So Cal So Cool!
4 posted 2005-12-04 10:05 PM

But, it's not at all "Loath[some], Actually."
The whole poem is very close to being written in consistent, Iambic Tetrameter. There are a few serious bumps here and there which keep it from being completely tight, but an imperfect meter represents only a minor distraction in the writing presented here.

Notwithstanding the improper plural form in S2-L1, there is actually some very compelling imagery in the overall piece.
I particularly like the last stanza which is why I would like to suggest that you spend more time in clarifying and tightening this part especially.
My suggestions would include:
S2-L3: a comma after “change”
L4: Uncap “back”; Period after "shop," then cap “You” and period after “hide”.
L5: This is an unnecessarily long line. Shorten it to keep the basic meter you began with. This would mean cutting out about two words. Simply state it as something like, “ Got maps to every place you’ve been." It will lose nothing written thusly.
L6: I assume that the first word was supposed to be “except”; if not, it should be.
L7: Even though this line scans shorter than the others, I’d leave it alone, but the next two lines should be one--and again, drop the caps.
Considering this is your first offering to this forum, you should be commended. It's not nearly as bad as many other first attempts.

Sid

If you must carp: Carpe diem!
ICSoria
My poetry forum.

ricdob
since 2005-11-17
Posts 3

5 posted 2005-12-08 09:55 PM

First off, I'm sorry you feel that way selfishfish, I did proof read the piece and I didn’t see anything wrong with it, upon people pointing it out to me I see were I went wrong, but if no one informed my I'd have never spotted the faults no matter how much i read over it, and believe me I read it a lot to make sure it sounded ok to me. I have no wish to disrespect anyone, it's just my grammar and spelling isn't at a very good standard. And as far as I'm concerned I can only submit what I'm capable of in content, spelling and so forth no more and no less. I mainly concentrate on what I'm trying to say and I'm thankful for any grammatical corrections I receive as well as any comments on the content its self.

CynicsRus: thanks for the sweet feedback. lol It really helps a lot. That’s exactly what  I wanted to get when I joined up here. Thank you for taking time to read the poem and help me out. I really appreciate it I’ve made the corrections you’ve suggest and I see were your coming from.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #2 » Loath Actually

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary