navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #2 » Saddam's Mirror
Critical Analysis #2
Post A Reply Post New Topic Saddam's Mirror Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
eminor_angel
since 2003-05-22
Posts 323
Canada

0 posted 2004-01-03 01:20 AM

Any critiques would be appreciated (though other comments are fine as well). I'd rewriten this one somewhat, but i'm still not satisfied, especially with the line breaks.

Saddam’s Mirror

we are alike
You and I
for I love power too
its desires hold my every breath
so what is the difference?
what makes me
an innocuous girl
and you
a feared dictator?

are your hands larger than mine?
I know your skin is darker
your hair is grayer
and I can’t speak arabic.
or is it what I would not do?
could not do?
have not done
yet?

will I someday be found in a hole
become the burden lifted from the millions
who were mine
become the next scapegoat
for dissension
unrest
evil?

Fate shapes me to become
a lowly accountant or teacher
so maybe history will pass me by
even if i cannot account for justice
or teach the ways
of love.

© Copyright 2004 eminor_angel - All Rights Reserved
Severn
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-17
Posts 7704

1 posted 2004-01-03 07:39 AM

I'm tempted to lean in the direction of an almost philosophical discussion about power and its definition in a cultural sense. To try to avoid a rant lol I'll just ask a few questions...how does a love of power equate to similarity between a tyrant and an innocuous girl? How do you reconcile the different expressions/notions of power between two very different cultures? Power doesn't necessarily share a common face between cultures, though it might appear so on the surface.

These thoughts of mine, therefore, make it difficult to read your poem with any nods of understanding. I find the thinking flawed, and therefore unconvincing.

But, to set that aside for the moment...the writing itself - I think the last stanza is the strongest. What I find very interesting is that the subject professes to love power and yet has yielded completely to fate - relinquishing power of the self. Interesting also that accountants and teachers are respected members of society and wield their own forms of power. I do find 'teach the ways of love' weak as an ending though.

Why do line 2, stanza 1 and line 1, stanza 4 have initial capitals and all the the rest don't? They look out of place.

'or is it what I would not do?
could not do?
have not done
yet?'

This section seems meaningless and I'd consider getting rid of it.

Line breaks in free-verse are affected by several things...visual space, pause, flow. Your line breaks would be helped enormously if they didn't rely on these questions of yours. I'm not fond of poems that ask endless questions. The technique reads like a copout...and begs its own question - who are you asking these questions of? Essentially, it's a distracting technique and I'd look closely at it. See if you can phrase some of the thoughts, at least, without them. Shape your lines around the flow of sound and visual space, rather than questions. If you remove a few extraneous words, your lines will flow better as well.

Just an example:

Perhaps someday
I will be found in a hole
become a burden lifted
from the millions who were mine
the next scapegoat
for dissension

I think the poem has potential, but I think you need to examine your concept closely again.

K

[This message has been edited by Severn (01-03-2004 07:43 AM).]

cynicsRus
since 2003-06-06
Posts 591
So Cal So Cool!
2 posted 2004-01-03 03:43 PM

This premise just doesn’t work as written, although I feel, it might possibly work on another level. If, for example, you simply drop the attempt at juxtapositioning this “innocuous girl” with Saddam—or Arabic. I think it could work as a story about a different sort of conflict, raging silently in an otherwise "normal" home.

For what it’s worth.

Sid @ www.cynicsRus.com
www.primerhymeetc.com

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #2 » Saddam's Mirror

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary