navwin » Archives » The Corner Pub » Needing To Be Loved
The Corner Pub
Post A Reply Post New Topic Needing To Be Loved Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Yu Lan
since 2000-04-13
Posts 1462
New Zealand

0 posted 2001-04-03 04:14 AM

Child in a horseshoe,
Hiding in the garden,
Ostrich under uncut hair,
Needing to be loved.

Acid rain spites all, around,
When birds above
Make better company.

"He who knows others is wise; he who knows himself is enlightened." Lao-tsu

© Copyright 2001 Lynne Miura, née Chudley - All Rights Reserved
Joyce Johnson
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2001-03-10
Posts 9912
Washington State
1 posted 2001-04-03 12:02 PM

I haven't seen your work before, Yu Lan I am quite new here.  We are from different worlds , different ages, so I am having a little trouble with this one.  I don't know what a child in a horseshoe means. Oops yes I do.  He is bent in horseshoe shape hiding.  Of course, Very good. I know you are learning the new ways and I am stuck in the old mold. I don't know much about ostriches but I think they hide their heads and acid rain does fall on all of us. I wish I were back in school with you.  Joyce

[This message has been edited by Joyce Johnson (edited 04-03-2001).]

Panne447
since 2001-04-03
Posts 196
S.A. TX
2 posted 2001-04-03 02:47 PM

Yu Lan,  I thought this was terrifc and sad and too true. I particularly got great pain from those first four lines. You could actually end the piece there and have a perfectly powerful and finished piece.  I am so glad I came in here.  Panne

Trillium
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-03-09
Posts 12098
Idaho, USA
3 posted 2001-04-03 07:26 PM

Yu Lan:  This was an arresting piece.  Sad but true.

Betty Lou Hebert

Yu Lan
since 2000-04-13
Posts 1462
New Zealand
4 posted 2001-04-04 06:18 AM

Thank you Joyce.. Yes, a horseshoe, in as tiny a space as possible, bent over.. you got it just right. ^_^ yeah, an ostrich hehe, I'm not sure if it is true, I think so.. there's a saying about an ostich hiding his head in the sand, then they think no-one can see them.. so the child is hiding behing his/her hair, like the ostrich hides in sand.. only no-one notices the child, and it's pretty hard to miss an ostrich! ^_^

Panne447, thank you.. yeah, i was thinking of leaving it after hose 4 lines.. I wasn't sure if it quite got the message across tho.. yeah, i agree, the last lines aren't really the stong point, I guess.. I just felt it was.. short..  
Thanks, I am so glad you liked it!

Betty, thanx.. it is a shame it is true, but there are so many children I have seen like this.. not so much here.. or if they are in NZ, they hide within themselves, so sometimes, people don't notice.. Thank u 4 reading..

Love ya'll,
Lynne

Panne447
since 2001-04-03
Posts 196
S.A. TX
5 posted 2001-04-04 08:52 AM

Lynne,
Since you have already thought about it, I think that maybe your gut is telling this should be a quatrain - pure and simple.
All the sad images are shown and make the reader feel the pain.  I would suggest changing your title so that it doesn't give your piece away or repeated it in the last line. Try finding a word for hidden, or hiding or similar that adds to the aloneness and fear of this picture; or even Solitude would have a better impact than the present title - Solitude says a lot more than being alone when you read it in context with this piece.  Give it some thought.  Hope that helps. Panne

Joyce Johnson
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2001-03-10
Posts 9912
Washington State
6 posted 2001-04-04 10:49 AM

Dear Yu Lan.  I just read this over and it is crystal clear to me now.  And I agree it is all in those first four lines.  Have you seen those little stuffed dolls that sit in corners hiding their faces?  I always feel so sad for them.  I wouldn't want one.  Love, Joyce
Yu Lan
since 2000-04-13
Posts 1462
New Zealand
7 posted 2001-04-04 04:04 PM

Thank you panne! ^^ Yeah, you a re right.. well, I will reply here after school some time today with ideas, see what u think of them, for a title.. thanx heaps.  

And Joyce, yes, I know what you mean, one of those poor little lonely dolls would just be too much to have to see each day.. be quite depressing really.. Thank you, yeah, I will take out the last lines.. ^_^

Thank u both so much..

-Lynne

Yu Lan
since 2000-04-13
Posts 1462
New Zealand
8 posted 2001-08-11 03:51 AM

Ok guys, I'm thinking of adding this one to a collection of poems for my poetic writing portfolio for English class.. what do you think? Do you think it's good enough? I have altered it slightly, so it now reads:

Child in a horseshoe
hiding in the street.
Ostrich under uncut hair,
needing to be loved.

cheers..
Lynne

“One word can be magical. Imagine then, the effect of several words, together..”

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » The Corner Pub » Needing To Be Loved

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary