navwin » Archives » The Corner Pub » Depression
The Corner Pub
Post A Reply Post New Topic Depression Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
kcsgrandma
since 2000-09-24
Posts 1522
Presque Isle, ME

0 posted 2001-03-17 08:58 PM

A cloud descends and darkens all my thought.
I'm void of words to give to tongue or pen.
It seems the things I seek all come to naught.
Depression reigns within my soul again.
But while my head is numb, my heart can feel.
Great pain and sadness freely hold their sway.
I can't remember happiness is real.
It has been mine, and will again, one day.
Such hopelessness within! And yet, a spark
Of optimism somehow still is mine.
In time, the path I walk, no longer dark,
Will come upon a place where sun may shine.
Now anxiously unto this hope I cling,
Anticipating what the dawn could bring.

[This message has been edited by kcsgrandma (edited 03-17-2001).]

© Copyright 2001 Marilyn Gordon - All Rights Reserved
ellie LeJeune
Member Elite
since 2000-01-10
Posts 4156
King of Prussia, PA USA
1 posted 2001-03-17 09:04 PM

Marilyn; this is so sad and yet your hope shines like a brilliant star...exquisitely written as always..Love, Ellie

A friend hears the song in my heart, and sings it to me when my memory fails.

Stephanos
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-07-31
Posts 3618
Statesboro, GA, USA
2 posted 2001-03-17 11:07 PM

God will renew. Praise his name!

Thankyou for sharing this.
Been there.

Stephen.

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
3 posted 2001-03-18 08:14 AM

C'mon over here, KCS....I've had days like that....here, I'll help you get out of yours, and you can help me get out of mine...we'll toast a toast, go to where all words rhyme, and before too long, we'll be fine....
Moon Dust
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 1999-06-11
Posts 2177
Skelmersdale, UK
4 posted 2001-03-18 02:19 PM

I like this and it give me a incentive to always hope. Thnaks for sharing with us

Don't ever give in, if you do you've lost everything you've ever had and everything you hope to gain, but if you carry on your already winning.

Denise
Member Seraphic
since 1999-08-22
Posts 22648

5 posted 2001-03-18 07:41 PM

Excellent expression, Marilyn. I've been there too. You've expressed it to a T in your beautiful sonnet...
coyote
since 2001-03-17
Posts 1077

6 posted 2001-03-19 12:08 PM

Depression is truly "the curse of the gifted". I was told Poe and Hemingway both suffered from it.
"Bipolar disorder" is the medical term.
Up today and down tomorrow, are primary symptoms. In its extreme, up today and down today, is quite common!
I see you've been there, as have most of us at one time or another.
Hang on to your hopes.
Great work.

"The poet is the priest of the invisible."
Wallace Stevens

kaile
Member Ascendant
since 2000-02-06
Posts 5146
singapore
7 posted 2001-03-19 03:02 AM

i am not sure as to what to say but well, let's walk on together and maybe we will be good for each other...

my inbox is always open...

kaile

JLR
since 2001-02-04
Posts 1785

8 posted 2001-03-19 09:54 PM

From depression to hope all in one work...I will cherish this!
kcsgrandma
since 2000-09-24
Posts 1522
Presque Isle, ME
9 posted 2001-03-19 11:48 PM

Ellie - Thank you, sweet lady. Friends like you always bring me hope.

Stephen - Faith is a great help in times of depression. Thank you for that reminder.

Sunshine - Thanks for those kind thoughts. Some days it would be lovely to be in a place where all words rhyme.

Maria - I almost didn't post this because I didn't want to depress people. If it gave you hope, I'm very glad I did. Thank you.

Denise - I really appreciate your comments. I know you are a writer of fine sonnets yourself. I wasn't really sure this was the right form for this one, but it's the way it worked out.

coyote - Thank you for the comments. I don't belong in a class with Poe and Hemingway for more reasons than one, but it is true that many sensitive people do suffer from depression. In my case, it is not bipolar disorder, but major recurrent depressive disorder, which does not cycle in the same way. I have been having mood swings lately, but that is another issue, related to my age. Either way, there is help available that was not available to Poe or Hemingway. And as we can see here, there are indeed many of us who have been in this situation. I do appreciate the support of the Passions family, old and new.

kaile - I can't tell you how many times you have made me smile, my friend. My box is open to you, too.

JLR - Now I find that comment something to cherish! Thanks.

To love another person is to see the face of God.
- Les Miserables

Marilyn

Wikket
since 2000-01-29
Posts 340
Santa Clara, CA USA
10 posted 2001-03-22 07:45 PM

Awww...Ms Maralyn--you are not alone in this shadowworld. You would be surprised how many of us Poetic Persons dwell in the same place. No worries friend, I know how dark the world can seem too...and how every episode in the day can feel like more weight laid over the anvil already on my chest. Fear not...happiness does eventually come forth, and it too is felt as intensly! Great Work! Deep emotions from these words do flow!

~~Jamie *HUGS*

I mean the opposite of what I say. You've got it now? No, it's the other way. ~Bruce Bennett

[This message has been edited by Wikket (edited 03-22-2001).]

kcsgrandma
since 2000-09-24
Posts 1522
Presque Isle, ME
11 posted 2001-03-23 12:36 PM

Jamie - Thanks for your encouraging words. I'm pretty well out of the valley at this point, but it's nice to know I have so many understanding friends here. Now, if I can just get the muse back to work!

- Les Miserables

Marilyn

Joyce Johnson
Member Rara Avis
since 2001-03-10
Posts 9912
Washington State
12 posted 2001-03-23 02:13 AM

Dear KCS I looked for a poem from you after your answer to me. I am sad for you. I have been fortunate enough not to suffer from clinical depression which I understand can be almost intolerable, but I have been going through a very sad period since losing my son, two years ago. Sometimes my poetry reflects that, but it is not my nature to be down for long. This is such a beautiful world that God has provided. I also have found the spiritual forum and am happy there. My best to you. Joyce
twilah
since 2000-09-25
Posts 91
Maine, USA
13 posted 2001-03-23 02:40 PM

Marilyn....I don't know of anyone that can express herself better than you can in your sonnets. And I know that you have found the strength to overcome this time of dis-
couragement...and I know where you found it. Keep writing...those lovely sonnets.....your friend.....Gloria

kcsgrandma
since 2000-09-24
Posts 1522
Presque Isle, ME
14 posted 2001-03-23 10:53 PM

Joyce - Thanks for searching me out. I do write much happier things than this, and I usually post more often than I have recently. I've just been in a bit of a difficult time, and it's left me with writer's block. I promise something better for you to reply to soon.

Gloria - Thanks for your kind words. I know you appreicate sonnets (and are becoming pretty good at them yourself). My strength comes from many sources, one of which is the good friends I have been blessed with. We'll just have to keep writing together, eh?

- Les Miserables

Marilyn

wordancer
since 2000-07-30
Posts 809
VA
15 posted 2001-03-28 08:35 PM

quote:
Such hopelessness within! And yet, a spark
Of optimism somehow still is mine.

kcs, yes it the spark that keeps us going when we are in abyss of despair.  Lovely and well done, I found your words flowing over me.

-wordancer

Trillium
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-03-09
Posts 12098
Idaho, USA
16 posted 2001-03-29 12:37 PM

This is beautifully written but so sad!  I'm sorry you are going through such a bad time and hope it will soon be over.  I can see you are hopeful for the future and that makes a big difference. Something to cling to.

Betty Lou Hebert

kcsgrandma
since 2000-09-24
Posts 1522
Presque Isle, ME
17 posted 2001-03-29 12:37 PM

Wordancer - Thank you for reading.  You help keep the spark glowing.

- Les Miserables

Marilyn

kcsgrandma
since 2000-09-24
Posts 1522
Presque Isle, ME
18 posted 2001-03-29 12:39 PM

Betty - I guess I crossed paths with you here! Thanks for your kind words. I'm already feeling better than when I wrote this. Things always get better in time.

- Les Miserables

Marilyn

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » The Corner Pub » Depression

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary