navwin » Archives » The Corner Pub » Caught Between Blaming God and Blaming Buddha
The Corner Pub
Post A Reply Post New Topic Caught Between Blaming God and Blaming Buddha Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
gofor42
since 2000-01-23
Posts 143
Arkansas

0 posted 2001-02-05 10:58 PM

Any characters depicted herein are ficticious...the use of "he," "she," and "me" is all for literary and poetic purposes only, though the poem does express my contemplation of the subject...

Life is suffering,
Every which-way I turn.
Why does God allow this,
I ask,
Not quite sure what purpose
This pain serves.
I'm not one to question
Divine Providence,
But in my limited intellect
This seems detrimental to faith.
Why am I filled with woe?
To what end do I fall
Again and again?
I'll endure the pain,
I'll bear the weight,
I'll persevere against adversity
If I can get an answer.
Why, God?
How does this serve You?
What good is this evil?
Was he the next Hitler,
And you were sparing society
A greater torment?
Does the good of the many
Outweigh one broken heart?
Life is suffering,
And the Devil laughs at our misfortune
While God weeps.
Or does Satan wrap his arm
Around my shoulder,
Tell me it's all God's fault,
And push me into folly?
I'm caught between
Blaming God and blaming Buddha--
One for allowing this to happen,
The other for showing me
THat this is what life is.
Life is suffering,
Life is death,
The end is the beginning,
And I'm at a loss
For what to do next.

"If you can't annoy somebody, there's little point in writing."
--Kingsley Amis

© Copyright 2001 Chuck Cottrell - All Rights Reserved
pegasus111
Member Elite
since 2000-07-27
Posts 2219
ocala, fl, usa
1 posted 2001-02-05 11:58 PM

at the risk of oversimplifying..physically, pain is the body's way of saying something is wrong. It behooves me to pay attention.

as for the rest, It comes to mind that I know two things for sure. There is a God. And I'm not Him. Perhaps it is not important for me to know why God allows these things to happen; only for me to deal with it in a christian(Buddist) way.

this is a very thought provoking piece.

the woods are lovely, dark, and deep, but I have promises to keep, and many miles to go before I sleep...Frost

laryalee
since 2000-06-19
Posts 352
Alberta, Canada
2 posted 2001-02-07 09:38 PM

A pensive poem - brings to mind advice like "when you're down there's nowhere to go but up"...Hah!  There's always further down...
(Of course we can choose to go up)  Sometimes, when in a depressive mood I wonder if I enjoy misery, and I sense a tinge of that here...
Remember, the only difference between "I will fail" and "I will prevail" is four letters!  
Nice write!
Lary

kcsgrandma
since 2000-09-24
Posts 1522
Presque Isle, ME
3 posted 2001-02-08 12:40 PM

I've asked some of these same questions (see my Voices Tanka).  Some people are turned away from God because they don't like what happens in this world, and do indeed blame Him.  I'm not sure we can ever know the whys, and maybe we don't have to. What's important is not understanding why something happened, but responding to it appropriately. Do we curse God for taking thousands of lives in an earthquake (part of my inspiration for Voices), or do we turn to Him for comfort and reach out to help those whose lives have been touched by it?  Not easy questions here, but then, yours never are.

To love another person is to see the face of God.
- Les Miserables

Marilyn

bestgirl911
since 2000-10-04
Posts 551
Clio, MI , United We Stand
4 posted 2001-02-08 09:40 AM

gofor....

Indeed a very thought provoking poem....I think it's called blind faith, although we can't see, we still believe...we choose to follow....we choose to let these things bring us down or, as KC said, turn to Him for comfort and reach out to those who have suffered....You have to choose to prevail in the face of adversity.....

Best

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » The Corner Pub » Caught Between Blaming God and Blaming Buddha

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary