navwin » Archives » The Corner Pub » Looking for God
The Corner Pub
Post A Reply Post New Topic Looking for God Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Jana Tovey
since 2000-05-30
Posts 257
USA

0 posted 2000-06-02 12:26 PM

I went to church to hear God,
but all I heard was hypocrisy,
as the congregation whispered
about each other
behind pure white gloved hands
their gossip determinable
by the wicked gleam of their eyes
and the nodding of their heads.
I went to church to know God’s grace
but all I heard was complaining
about the length of the service,
the choice of the hymn,
the neighbors unruly children,
and on and on...
Until I stopped trying to find God,
and found the door instead.

© Copyright 2000 Jana Tovey - All Rights Reserved
dgvarner
Member Elite
since 2000-05-13
Posts 3552
High Springs, Florida
1 posted 2000-06-02 12:41 PM

its sad that church has become just a fashion show--of sorts..

i'm guilty myself..of watching my watch, or complaining about the hymn..(usually tho, its not the hymn, but the key in which i cant sing)...

but once in a while, you can find a good group of church members all in the same place..i'm thankful to have found one of those     now if i could just get up in time to get baby and me out the door on the wkends.....

"A Poet's life is on written page; a scenario to take the stage--watch..." dgvarner

Little_Spyro
since 2000-01-09
Posts 659
San Diego, CA, USA
2 posted 2000-06-02 02:51 AM

Even though I'm 14, I was choir director for my church's school for a short time, and making music is one of my favorite things besides poetry...
I don't mind going to church really, but yeah I can see it's going into a little bit of a decline!   More emphasis has been placed on the collection of the money now (and my church recently added a SECOND collection shortly before the closing hymn)...sigh...

I wrote a little something that I kind of thought would be like a prayer...that was a few months ago, called "The Cathedral". I hope God read it and posted a reply  

Little Spyro T. Dragon

Dennis L. White
since 2000-02-17
Posts 1463
Michigan, U.S.A.
3 posted 2000-06-02 06:54 AM

Jana,
  Good one, by the way , if you find the perfect church,don't join it, that might ruin it! LOL  Only kidding ;^)  
Dennis  :^)

Moonbeams radiate
As the veiling cloud has past
Playful shadows dance!

D.L.White :^)

Honeybee
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-26
Posts 5372
Ontario, CANADA
4 posted 2000-06-02 08:10 AM

~Jana~

I agree completely with the feelings expressed in your poem.  I couldn't have said it better myself.  A well written and an honest piece.  I too, have witnessed the hypocrisy of many churches first hand.  I know many poeple who attend church whom are not good people, so just because someone attends chuch it doens't mean that they are good poeple, just like parking your car underneath a small piece of wood doesn't necesarily make it a garage. I believe that you are a good person if you are kind, help others and are loyal to God.  I still haven't found the right church for me yet. Thanks for posting this!

Take care,
Melissa Honeybee

Jon Mewett
since 2000-03-04
Posts 1304

5 posted 2000-06-02 10:11 AM

I echo what Mel has said above.

It's a bit of a 'Turning over of the tables in the Temple' experience for me.

I think there are more 'Holy' people outside of the established churches than inside.

But OK every one has there own path to tread.

Sometimes it's a rocky road.

Thanks for your Poem

Jon

Swåmp¤Faerÿie
since 2000-03-29
Posts 358
Illinois
6 posted 2000-06-02 04:48 PM

I think there's to much of this kind of thing in the world. It's like everything "the church" says,they do the opposite. Thou shalt not murder......and they go to war to kill their brothers of the very same religion,but a differnt nationality. That really irks me!! Among many many other things. But i have found a religion that is very.....un-hypocritical and doesn't profess one thing and do another. i appreciate that and am very grateful i've got it!!
jANA your poems are SO deep and meaningful...i really admire that!! Very few of mine result in anything with meaning....mebe i will learn from you!! =]

swampius maximus

And there she weaves by night and day,
a magic web of colours gay.~Tennyson

Jana Tovey
since 2000-05-30
Posts 257
USA
7 posted 2000-06-02 07:47 PM

I've really enjoyed reading all of these responses.  I had to laugh at yours, Dennis, and your probably right, by the way!!

Little_ Spyro, that two-collection church you mentioned was a new one on me, however I did attend a Catholic Church once that pushed a big loosely woven net down the aisles at you.  When I put in my quarters, they fell through!  

dg, I know what you mean about time!  Hey that gives me a thought...if more busy people went to church, they wouldn't have time to gossip and be critical!  I think it's the ones with too much time on their hands who do most of the mean things.

I'm with you Jon and Melissa...if you live your life treating people with respect and giving back at least as much as you get out of life, then you are a good person.

And Swampy, you do write deep and meanigful poems...I know, I've read them!!  

Denise
Member Seraphic
since 1999-08-22
Posts 22648

8 posted 2000-06-02 09:29 PM

I'd head for the door too if that was my church...who needs that? But you don't need to be in a special building to find God. You can do that right where you are at, wherever that is. Great poem!

Denise

passing shadows
Member Empyrean
since 1999-08-26
Posts 45577
displaced
9 posted 2004-12-25 11:17 AM

agreed
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » The Corner Pub » Looking for God

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary