navwin » Archives » Spiritual Journeys » Conversations with a Greater Spirit
Spiritual Journeys
Post A Reply Post New Topic Conversations with a Greater Spirit Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Gurion
since 2000-01-18
Posts 8
Cleveland Ohio

0 posted 2000-01-18 02:27 PM

This poem was written after a freind died and I was just a half hour from being there myself.

I came so close the other day
I almost got to find out
if it is faith or fate that rules over man
I almost met you
I don't know what we would have talked about
would you have held it against me
would you have brought up old news
Maybe you would have answered my questions
I don't know what you would have done

I like to think that you would be kind
Sit me on your knee and tell me tales
Assure me that it will be for the best
divulge to me the reasons for my demise

Can you tell me what faith has over fate
I met two young men who were overflowing with faith
and it seems to me that it did them no good
and the result has been for more to question
If this was your plan then maybe you are not so nice
I really wish I knew why you do the things you do
But then I guess as your flock would say
Then why would we need faith.

In memory of  Lando Your time was too short

© Copyright 2000 Kevin Hall - All Rights Reserved
Denise
Member Seraphic
since 1999-08-22
Posts 22648

1 posted 2000-01-18 04:15 PM

Hi Kevin! Welcome to Passions! Heartfelt poem bursting with grief for the loss of your friend. I think I can safely say we've all been there. Let me just say that faith is not a protection from the pain of life, if that was what you were implying in your poem. No, even people who have faith suffer and die. The faith I have believes that Christ paid the penalty for my sin, forgives me and guarantees me eternal life with Him, beginning here on earth when I first believed (trusted in His death and resurrection to secure my salvation). That is what faith means to me. It is not a good luck charm so to speak. I do suffer and will continue to suffer and will one day die. I hope this helps a little bit toward understanding some of these things. I am so sorry for your loss.

Please check your email for a special welcome! < !signature-->

Denise

And slight is the sting of his trouble
Whose winnings are less than his worth;
For he who is honest is noble,
Whatever his fortunes or birth.~~~Alice Cary, ~Nobility~

[This message has been edited by dsnyder (edited 01-18-2000).]

ellie LeJeune
Member Elite
since 2000-01-10
Posts 4156
King of Prussia, PA USA
2 posted 2000-01-18 07:00 PM

Welcome Kevin, I fairly new too. Your poem was beautifully written and painfully from the heart. I'm sorry for your loss. Keep writting. Please believe faith isn't faith unless it's all your holding onto!

WhtDove
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-22
Posts 9245
Illinois
3 posted 2000-01-18 10:40 PM

Welcome!  I'm sorry to hear about your loss!  I want to say that God is not the one to blame here. Things happen in this world, and all of them are not so good. The good things are from God. But people have choices and things happen according to those choices.

God is a very loving and compassionate God! He knows you're hurting and your pain so ask His help with it instead of blaming him or cursing him for it.
You know sometimes when you have faith like these two that you speak of Satan knows that, and tries to keep them away from God. Please know that evil plays a part in this world as well as free will.  ALL good comes from ABOVE!
If there is anything I can help you to better understand please email me!< !signature-->

<*\\\><    
Where there is faith,
           there is love.
Where there is love,
          there is peace.
Where there is peace,
            there is GOD.
Where there is GOD,
        there is no need.

Hallmark

[This message has been edited by WhtDove (edited 01-18-2000).]

Jer
since 1999-12-02
Posts 443
USA
4 posted 2000-01-18 11:32 PM

Hey Kevin.....  Welcome to Passions.  It looks like dsnyder and whtdove wrote all the good comments...  but it's not gonna stop me from adding to them. I echo all the above comments and I would like to say this was a great post. I had a very similar experience with one of my friends.  He was one of my fellow Firefighting brothers and he died in a car accident.  He was hit head on by a drunk driver.  I too got in an accident that year and I thought of him lying dead on the side of the road ,and how close that I had come to death like he did.  God placed the situation in front of me for a reason, just like he did to you.  You may not see it now, tomorrow, or two years from now. But, I am sure it will come back one day and you'll see how it changed your life and what God was trying to show you.  Anyway,  great writing.  I can tell it came from your heart. God bless.

*~* Come work for the Lord. The work is hard, the hours are long and the pay is low. But the retirement benefits are out of this world. *~*

catslair
since 2000-01-16
Posts 48

5 posted 2000-01-19 10:19 PM

What a beautiful expression of the questions that many of us have the opprtuinity to ask....although I an sure we would rather not.........Hoever i agree with some of the other responses.....we do not know the reason at the time.....but given time we usally find out......just given time......
Earthtones
since 2000-01-18
Posts 10

6 posted 2000-01-20 08:42 AM

Not so long ago a friend of mine died in a motorcycle accident, he was only 18,he had so much time ahead of him... I'm sure there will be an answer to all of this, so hold strong my friend, and do the best you can.
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Spiritual Journeys » Conversations with a Greater Spirit

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary