navwin » Archives » Spiritual Journeys » Empty Chairs
Spiritual Journeys
Post A Reply Post New Topic Empty Chairs Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
sandgrain
Member Elite
since 1999-09-21
Posts 3662
Sycamore, IL, USA

0 posted 2001-11-21 12:27 PM

A toy bear accompanied this poem written for cousin, Rosemary, who lost husband, Sam, in '96 and only child, Timmy,10, this Halloween to cancer.

Empty Chairs

As holidays roll around
Empty chairs are too often found
Stirring that void in ones heart
Where loved ones held a great part

When Mary saw Jesus' empty tomb
(God's son, who grew in her womb)
She knew He had arisen
From torchered bodily prison.

Our prayer for this bear on a chair
Is for comfort in your despair-
Remembering Jesus 'bears' all things
And Sam's so proud of Timmy's wings.

[This message has been edited by sandgrain (edited 11-21-2001).]

© Copyright 2001 Rae Petersen - All Rights Reserved
Joyce Johnson
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2001-03-10
Posts 9912
Washington State
1 posted 2001-11-21 12:30 PM

A sad and reflective little poem.  Joyce
sandgrain
Member Elite
since 1999-09-21
Posts 3662
Sycamore, IL, USA
2 posted 2001-11-21 12:45 PM

So many of you prayed for Timmy, Rosemary and Nana when I posted "Cancer AGAIN?" I just want you to know Rosemary's been so very strong throughout Timmy's 3 surgeries and year and a half of chemo.  The huge tumor on his spine appreared nonexistant early this summer so a couple months later, his tubes were removed and he so enjoyed a fun summer and returned to school this fall.  Headaches began and a cancerous brain tumor was found.  He had a seizure Halloween eve after dinner and died the next day.  His wake and funeral had an outpouring of hundreds...classmates, teachers, nurses, doctors, firemen, family, neighbors and friends.  He touched lots of lives in 10 short years.
Wanda
since 2001-10-23
Posts 461

3 posted 2001-11-21 04:45 PM

There are many empty chairs at holiday meals.  This story of this child's life really touched my heart.  Thank you for sharing this.  May God bless you and give you His peace.  Wanda
deleeme
since 1999-10-09
Posts 1766
NEW ENGLAND, USA
4 posted 2001-11-22 12:03 PM

Rae,
This is so thoughtful of you!
You are a true and caring friend showing care as well as hope & consolation. God bless you in your deliberate acts of kindness and bless your friend as well in the disquieting of her soul to fo on, being remind of your chair filling bear- that Love bears all things!
           David

aries_luv_ppl
since 2001-09-20
Posts 1448
Universal Mind
5 posted 2001-11-23 02:00 PM

That's very touching. And you're very kind. It's amazing how 10 years have touched so many hearts. Bless you. I wish you and your friends will feel better over the sorrow.

Elizabeth Vivian

~The first two cup of tea is to throw away; what remains is the best of all.
~Blessed are those who find ordinary things extraordinary.

Trillium
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-03-09
Posts 12098
Idaho, USA
6 posted 2001-11-24 10:53 PM

Such a heart-wrenching poem.  I lost my only grandson just before his 10th birthday, so I can understand in a way, what you are feeling. Thank you for sharing this with us.

Betty Lou Hebert

sandgrain
Member Elite
since 1999-09-21
Posts 3662
Sycamore, IL, USA
7 posted 2001-11-25 04:16 PM

Joyce- Thanks for reading and responding

Wanda-Indeed, there are so many empty chairs this year as the holidays come.

David-Thank you. Just a small way to let Rosemary know we care how she feels.

Elizabeth Vivian- Glad you took time to read and respond with kind wishes.  Thank you.

Trillium- I'm sorry for your loss that helped you closely identify with this.  I'm thankful you shared that.  Bless you.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Spiritual Journeys » Empty Chairs

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary