navwin » Archives » Spiritual Journeys » How Big is Your God
Spiritual Journeys
Post A Reply Post New Topic How Big is Your God Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Wanda
since 2001-10-23
Posts 461

0 posted 2001-10-27 10:41 PM

How Big is Your God

We often sing the hymn, “How Great Thou Art”
Yet when trials come our way, we fall apart
We say we believe God is able to care for us
Yet circumstances cause us to fume and fuss

How big is your God, do you really know
When days are difficult, to whom do you go
Do you reach for a book written by an authority
Or bow your head, and get down on your knees

How big is your God, can He meet your need
Or do you let those colossal fears supercede
Do you wallow in destructive self pity and cry
Are you like the Israelites who wanted to die

Is the hymn “How Great Thou Art” really a lie
How far would we get if God left us alone to try
He is here to guide us each step of the way
Should we not let Him lead us each day

Written by, Wanda L. Reu

© Copyright 2001 Wanda - All Rights Reserved
Rodney Belcher
since 2000-06-06
Posts 227
Taylor, Michigan
1 posted 2001-10-27 11:33 PM

Yes Wanda sometimes we have to let him do things for us...I am as guilty as anyone in this. I constantly "give" things to him, then snatch them back before I am off of my knees. We wouldnt last a day without him in our lives. I wish more people would realize this...btw my God is HUGE and in everything I do   thanks for the great post Wanda

Lets Love one another and let God do the worrying,
Rodney

Lone Wolf
Member Ascendant
since 2000-03-16
Posts 5842
Lansing, MI USA
2 posted 2001-10-28 01:39 PM

All too often we forget Him in times of trouble or sorrow.  So very true.  I know I've been guilty of this from time to time.  Luckily, I have a good friend who usually reminds me that prayer is what I need most. Thanks for sharing this.  

All writing comes
by the grace of God.
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Wanda
since 2001-10-23
Posts 461

3 posted 2001-10-28 02:38 PM

Rodney; I think it is very common for most of us to give things over to the Lord, and snatch them back.  We've all done it.  Our God is huge and fully capable of taking care of our needs.  Why do we think we can actually help God out??? I appreciate the comments from you Rodney.  Wanda
Wanda
since 2001-10-23
Posts 461

4 posted 2001-10-28 02:40 PM

Lone Wolf; I find it is easy to forget about God when things are going well in our lives, but when trouble comes along, then we remember God and call upon His knees.  We need to remember God is there 24-7 and available to help us.  Also, we should remember to praise and thank Him for Who He is and What He has done and continues to do for us.  

Thanks for your reply.  Wanda

Trillium
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-03-09
Posts 12098
Idaho, USA
5 posted 2001-10-28 02:46 PM

Great poem Wanda and such a wise message. One we all need to remember in our daily lives. Thanks.

Betty Lou Hebert

Wanda
since 2001-10-23
Posts 461

6 posted 2001-10-28 02:54 PM

Betty; I am glad you enjoyed the poem.  I shared this in a class of women I teach while we were studying about the children of Israel at their place of decision at Kadesh-barnea.  They chose to not believe God would give them the land should they go up and try to possess it.  Here was a people bent on dying, and the older geneeration of the children of Israel never got to enter the Promised Land due to the sin of unbelief.
Thank you for your comments.  Wanda

Joyce Johnson
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2001-03-10
Posts 9912
Washington State
7 posted 2001-10-30 11:06 AM

You are right Wanda.  we forget that God is almighty and try with our own puny strength to solve our problems when we need only turn to Him.  Joyce
Wanda
since 2001-10-23
Posts 461

8 posted 2001-10-30 11:25 AM

Joyce; We are on a heightened state of alert at this time, and I think of a comment Joshua made to the people in their state of fear in going in and possessing the Promised Land,"If the Lord delights in us, then He will bring us into this land and give it to us, a land which flows with milk and honey." I feel there is a key in this verse from Numbers 14:8; and that key is, "If the Lord delights in us."  God is certainly able to do whatever He chooses to do; He is certainly big enough, great enough. But, what about us?  Are we walking in faith?  Is He delighted in us as a people?  These are thoughts I have been wrestling with this week.  Thanks for your reply.  Wanda
sandgrain
Member Elite
since 1999-09-21
Posts 3662
Sycamore, IL, USA
9 posted 2001-10-30 07:11 PM

A delightfully written piece with real food for thought!  I know I need this reminder over and over and over again, and wonder why I can't constantly remember the awesomeness of our God when it's evident everywhere.  Thank you.
  Rae

Wanda
since 2001-10-23
Posts 461

10 posted 2001-10-30 07:16 PM

Rae; I think it is because you are human. :-) I believe this is something each of us needs to be reminded of often.  Thank you for your comment.  Wanda
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Spiritual Journeys » How Big is Your God

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary