navwin » Archives » Spiritual Journeys » Train Up a Child
Spiritual Journeys
Post A Reply Post New Topic Train Up a Child Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Wanda
since 2001-10-23
Posts 461

0 posted 2001-10-27 08:45 AM

Train Up a Child

Train up a child in the way he should go
That is what the scriptures say
Some parents feel they should never say “No”
They fear that will drive their child away

Let the child express himself; isn’t that the best
“They will soon weary of this phase,” experts say
Yet parents go many nights without rest
because they failed to teach their child to obey

Why insist they attend Sunday School
They should make that decision for their self
Do they know about the golden rule
or,is your bible always left on the shelf

Make sure the children are in everything at school
Keep them so busy they never have time
To live for the Lord would simply be uncool
Religion can come later in their lifetime

There are those who say a child learns more
from whom you are, then from what you say
Of Christ’s kingdom are you an inheritor
Do they see you read God’s Word and pray

Are you training up your child in God’s way
Is He your closest friend
If faith in Christ is to you passe’
which direction will your child go in the end

Written by, Wanda L. Reu

© Copyright 2001 Wanda - All Rights Reserved
Rodney Belcher
since 2000-06-06
Posts 227
Taylor, Michigan
1 posted 2001-10-27 01:29 PM

nice thoughts and it's sad that parents are intimidated more by "society" than the Lord's words...as for me and my kids, we shall serve the Lord...not child psychiatrists  

Lets Love one another and let God do the worrying,
Rodney

Wanda
since 2001-10-23
Posts 461

2 posted 2001-10-27 02:12 PM

Rodney; I appreciate your comments.  I am familiar with that comment taken from the book of Joshua.  Each set of parents must choose whom they will serve.  Hopefully, they will choose the Lord's ways.  Wanda
Trillium
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-03-09
Posts 12098
Idaho, USA
3 posted 2001-10-27 04:49 PM

Too many parents have fallen away from the Lord's word and society is far worse off for it. Now that we are seeing a greater awareness of His teachings, perhaps this will change.  I hope so. Good poem!

Betty Lou Hebert

Wanda
since 2001-10-23
Posts 461

4 posted 2001-10-27 05:11 PM

Betty; How right you are.  I do hope there will be parents who have seen the error of turning aside from training their children up in the Lord's ways.  Our son told us, "Our generation will be the generation to turn back to the Lord."  I hope with all my heart he is right. Thank you for your comments.  Wanda
Startime
Member Ascendant
since 2000-10-03
Posts 5918
Canada
5 posted 2001-10-27 08:04 PM

STANDING OVATION!!!! Well said in a voice that flows with the wisdom you have been given by the Lord. BRAVO!!!

Love I leave with you whether it is in your life now or yet the essense of your dreams.

Wanda
since 2001-10-23
Posts 461

6 posted 2001-10-27 08:46 PM

Karen; You are very gracious, as always, with your comments.  We have all seen the direction in which many young people are traveling. Are we really probing our own consciences and asking, "WHY?"  What are we setting before our children as examples?  Children learn more (I am told) by what we ARE, then by what we SAY.  That is an awesome thought.  Thank you Karen, for reading and commenting on this poem.  Wanda
WhtDove
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-22
Posts 9245
Illinois
7 posted 2001-10-29 07:20 PM

So very true! Can't go wrong when you do it God's way...well, we can go wrong, but God's NOT wrong.  

Great poem!

Wanda
since 2001-10-23
Posts 461

8 posted 2001-10-29 08:39 PM

White Dove; Yes, it is always best to train up a child according to God's ways.  Proverbs 22:6 teaches that.  God's ways are always what is best for the child.  Thank you for your reply.  Wanda
Joyce Johnson
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2001-03-10
Posts 9912
Washington State
9 posted 2001-10-30 10:54 AM

Man's rules often conflict with God's.  We must be the voice of God for our children.  Very nice poem.  Joyce
Wanda
since 2001-10-23
Posts 461

10 posted 2001-10-30 11:05 AM

Joyce; I thank you for your reply.  Yes, it is important we do represent God to our children.  Man's rules do often conflict with God's.  But, as parents, we need to teach our children God is soverign, the number one ruler in the universe. What He sets down as decrees and principles in His Word should be followed.  I often think children learn much by what we do.  I have heard that children learn more by what we are, then by what we say.  So, it gets back to the type of example we set for them.  That puts a heavy responsibility on parents, doesn't it.  Thankfully, God is there to help us.  Wanda
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Spiritual Journeys » Train Up a Child

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary