navwin » Archives » Spiritual Journeys » karma
Spiritual Journeys
Post A Reply Post New Topic karma Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Marian's Lover
since 2001-03-05
Posts 15

0 posted 2001-03-19 10:34 PM

karma is uncaring
karma is not just
karma does not salvage you
from greed or hate or lust
karma is indifferent
karma cannot choose
karma never pardons you for drowning grief in booze
karma will not nestle or solace
those who are in need
instead to them it volunteers a fine for some past deed
karma shall condemn you
when you least expect
karma reassures that you will reap the full effect
karma can be brutal
to those who cross its path
karma, with its callous nature, will unleash its wrath
karma is so powerful
it causes death and terror
karma reeks its vengeance 'pon the slightest human error
karma may be tough to face
and hard to understand
to those who try avoiding it:
it's cosmic, never planned
karma isn't perfect, though it sees and knows us all
the world revolves 'round karma -
and thus, human downfall.

The only guarantee in Life, is Death. - The Lord Buddha

© Copyright 2001 NuXtA - All Rights Reserved
kcsgrandma
since 2000-09-24
Posts 1522
Presque Isle, ME
1 posted 2001-03-20 12:14 PM

I find this interesting reading, though I'm not sure I understand it. From what I have read, karma is indeed just, because every action has an inevitable consequence. What karma is not is merciful. Perhaps I misunderstand it. If so, I'd be pleased to be enlightened.

To love another person is to see the face of God.
- Les Miserables

Marilyn

Marian's Lover
since 2001-03-05
Posts 15

2 posted 2001-03-20 01:04 AM

You're half right, kcsgrandma. Karma is just, in the sense that every action produces a corresponding effect. However, not everything that happens is a result of karma or karma alone - there are many other factors involved. So if karma was truly just, would it not account for these events? For even the Enlightened continue to reap the effects of their past deeds.

WhtDove
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-22
Posts 9245
Illinois
3 posted 2001-03-20 09:11 AM

This was well written with great flow.
Though even through explanation, it's beyond me.

With free will, we all reap the consequences to our actions, and I do believe there is one, whether good or bad, to everything we do. Though we're not always aware of the affects of those actions.

Stephanos
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-07-31
Posts 3618
Statesboro, GA, USA
4 posted 2001-03-22 11:28 AM

From what I understand, Karma seems to be a Hinduistic concept that expains the outcome of choices and actions, especially in future lives (For Hindus believe in reincarnation). The idea is like a point system with two columns; good and bad. Good, selfless, and loving deeds issue good karma, while selfish, cruel, or evil deeds issue bad karma. At the end of ones life, this accumulated karma determines the quality of the next phase of life. So a rich prosperous man who was merciless and cruel most of his life, might return as a peasant woman because of karma, or worse as an animal or whatever. Karma in the mind of it's adherents is merciless in the sense that it is completely impartial.

The Judeo-Christian counterpart to karma is the idea that "whatsoever a man sows, that shall he also reap". The nature of things and God's moral law ensures that actions have repercussions both good and bad. So up to this point, Karma and the "harvest principle" are alike. Where the two begin to differ widely is the concept of what happens post-death. According to the bible "it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment" (Hebrews 9:27).

So the idea is that there is one judgement day where we will stand before God and be accountable for our actions, yet we are also subject to unavoidabe consequences (good or bad) prior to death.

Another interesting difference is that while according to Hindu philosophy, people are perfected through multiple lives by learning to master the flow of karma, Christianity claims that we are perfected by an undeserved redemption accomplished by the merits of someone else.

It's as if God looked down and the 'karma' was so heavy in the "bad" column, that he sent someone to reap the consequences on our behalf. And we can get his good merits by believing him and trusting him, so that on the judgement day, his goodness will save us from destruction, because our badness caused him to die on the cross. It is the great exchange.

The idea of karma is like having to pay all of your traffic tickets, strewn along multiple lives, while salvation is like having someone pay the incriminating traffic tickets for you which were accumulated in one life that is unique individual and eternal.

While karma may be just but not merciful. I am glad that God is both just and merciful.

BloomingRose
Member Elite
since 2000-08-09
Posts 3092
Florida
5 posted 2001-03-22 09:04 PM

I can only say, that there is only one God. He is just and merciful,and he loves us all the same.
I think Stephanos said it best.
Deb

Marian's Lover
since 2001-03-05
Posts 15

6 posted 2001-03-23 12:24 PM

Believe what you want to believe, ignorant fools. You cannot escape the repercussions of your actions by relying on some "god" to save you. How fanciful and weak.

Marian's Lover
since 2001-03-05
Posts 15

7 posted 2001-03-23 12:27 PM

And no, your "god" does not love everyone equally, for "he" does not treat everyone equally does he? Open your eyes you blind idiots. Why do good people starve and cruel people prosper? Or do you deny this, as you do most injustices?

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

8 posted 2001-03-23 02:14 PM

Marian's lover? I am sorry that you felt put "under fire" here....and Karma to me is best summed up in this statement:

We are not punished FOR our sins, but BY them. With a merry meet to you, I also leave you with the Wiccan crede:

And as ye harm none, do what ye will.

Oh and stephanos? The belief that people can return in the form of another species is not a concept of reincarnation, but more specifically, transmigration. Thank you!

[This message has been edited by serenity (edited 03-23-2001).]

Severn
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-17
Posts 7704

9 posted 2001-03-23 06:52 PM

Marian's lover:

I don't feel it is very appropriate to insult people here.

I don't see any reason for it, any need. People are entitled to their belief's - if someone disagrees with your own it doesn't necessarily mean they are damning your right to your own beliefs.

Beliefs are a contentious thing - I'd ask that you refrain from calling people 'blind fools' as this not only goes against the philosophy and guidelines of passions, but is also inflammatory.

Thankyou

Severn

Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
10 posted 2001-03-23 07:00 PM

These forums were established upon a creed of fairness and tolerance. This discussion has evoked some very interesting points which have been presented objectively. That is quite acceptable.

We will NOT, however, tolerate verbal aggression toward others. Please review the posting guidelines for our forums before you participate further, Marian's Lover.

Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
11 posted 2001-03-23 07:06 PM

There's a lot going on in this thread, and I personally feel mistakes were made all the way around. Mistakes that would inevitably lead to misunderstandings. Stephanos, for example, really didn't even comment on the poem or, even, the subject matter of the poem. Instead, he attached labels which may or may not have been reflected in the poem, and tried to "explain" concepts best left for Discussion forums. BloomingRose, as another example, stated beliefs as if they were incontrovertible facts, which by extension suggests that any other viewpoint must be wrong.

I think neither tactic shows true Respect and Tolerance, but they fall more under the umbrella of social graces than under our Guidelines. The subsequent posts by Marian's Lover, on the other hand, fall directly under our guidelines, blatantly crossing the line from disagreement to personal attack. "Ignorant fools" and "blind idiots" are phrases that have absolutely no place in this forums, and only serve to weaken (one might argue, even destroy) the points so beautifully made in the poem. Pity.

The thread is being closed and Marian's Lover suspended for a week. I hope the author returns with a better understanding of tolerance, or at least a better grasp of our Guidelines.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Spiritual Journeys » karma

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary