navwin » Archives » Spiritual Journeys » Theology 101 from a 5 Year Old
Spiritual Journeys
Post A Reply Post New Topic Theology 101 from a 5 Year Old Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Julie Jordan Scott
since 1999-09-19
Posts 146
Bakersfield, CA USA

0 posted 1999-12-07 12:05 PM

My five year old daughter Kathie and I sat in church on Palm Sunday. Kathie loves going to church, and once we get down to the business of the sermon, I always give her the option of going to play in the nursery or staying to listen. Surprisingly enough, she often chooses to stay and listen to our pastor's message.

Today he was speaking of the juxtaposition of the jubilant celebration of Palm Sunday with the gritty reality of Jesus Christ's sacrifice on the cross. Our eloquent pastor dramatically spoke of the turn of events that Jesus would expect to happen during Holy Week. Kathie listened carefully, nodding in agreement with the pastor, and shaking her head at the especially tragic parts. She looked over and whispered to me, with her big blue eyes like saucers saying, "He didn't want to do it, but he had to." She looked down at her hands folded in her lap and sighed. "It wasn't even fun." She shook her head at the grief of her Lord dying on the cross so that she, little five year old Kathie, could live forever.

Her words reverberated in my head. "He didn't want to do it, but he had to....it wasn't even fun." It was amazing how Christ's sacrifice for his children could be put into such simple terms so that any preschooler could relate to what Jesus did for each and every one of us. Jesus clearly adored little children, and he said that to come into heaven, we would all need to be childlike. In human form, Jesus grieved the fact that he would bear the physical pain and horror of the crucifiction even knowing full well that this was part of the plan from His Father. Jesus did not go gleefully or lightheartedly to the cross, but instead with a sense of responsibility and a fulfillment of His purpose on earth.

Even with all of the teachings of the great theologians in both the present and in history, I don't think any could make it any clearer than my precious gift from God, my beloved daughter Katherine Hannah. "He didn't want to do it, but he had to....it wasn't even fun."

I am a Life Purpose Coach who specializes in assisting
men and women to clarify their Life Purpose and then in turn
live true to their purpose. After 5 years working with the
Severely Mentally Ill in County Mental Health, I gave up the
bureaucracy (and safe, secure blanket) of this environment
to pursue my own purpose and passion.

© Copyright 1999 Julie Jordan Scott - All Rights Reserved
Denise
Member Seraphic
since 1999-08-22
Posts 22648

1 posted 1999-12-07 12:21 PM

Children see things much more clearly than we do most times! Thanks for sharing this Julie! She sounds precious!

Denise

Echo Rhayne
since 1999-09-17
Posts 1495
Canyon Country, CA
2 posted 1999-12-07 03:17 AM

Julie, looks like you have one precious gift from God with your daughter.  It is amazing though, how something we sometimes find so hard to understnad can easily be understood and interperted by young ones.  "He didn't want to do it, but He had to, and it wasn't even fun"  How many of us would have said as simply?  I think sometimes we tend to draw out things and look deeper into them then needed.  That is why I always hear and am always told to have faith like a child!  Thank you for telling us this story, it is great!  

~*~ Hell is not a place of fire and a devil with a tail and horns. But a place of torment because the light of God is gone. To escape this, accept the blood of Jesus Christ! ~*~

WhtDove
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-22
Posts 9245
Illinois
3 posted 1999-12-07 10:45 AM

Julie WELCOME to Spiritual! Thank you for your warm contribution! To have child like faith, to be trusting like a child is. For when we grow, we do lose some of that because of the times we've been hurt. Thank you for sharing your story. What a little blessing you have!

<*\\\><
Jesus is the reason for the season

mirjam
since 1999-11-24
Posts 246
Auckland, New Zealand
4 posted 1999-12-07 09:48 PM

Wow that is so cool - you know it made me think how simple God is - it is us who complicate things - Jesus died for us, and it wasn't fun.  Child like faith is indeed precious, bless you both.  
Michael
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-13
Posts 7666
California
5 posted 1999-12-09 06:51 PM

Ah, to see things through the eyes of a child.  Thank you for sharing, Julie, this was wonderful.

Michael

Elizabeth
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Ascendant
since 1999-06-07
Posts 6871
Minnesota
6 posted 2000-12-01 01:21 PM

This was precious. So is your daughter, I'm sure. I'm glad I found this and thanks for sharing!
ellie LeJeune
Member Elite
since 2000-01-10
Posts 4156
King of Prussia, PA USA
7 posted 2000-12-01 06:50 PM

He simply wants us to see as a child sees the truth and meaning. No theological long winded explanations neede, for your darling child has said it all, and said it beautifully!  Ellie

Belief is a truth held in the mind; faith is a fire in the heart.

Joseph Fort Newton

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Spiritual Journeys » Theology 101 from a 5 Year Old

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary