navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #4 » Speechless
Open Poetry #4
Post A Reply Post New Topic Speechless Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Julie
since 1999-08-20
Posts 739
Houston, TX

0 posted 1999-11-27 01:41 AM

A frightening sound
in the middle of the night.
I was my son, he's eighteen,
couldn't see him through the light.
he said, "Mom, I need to talk,
something terrible happened,
my friend took his life
in the darkness of the night."
His Mom went to wake him
Thanksgiving morn
to tell him get up son
be thankful Christ was born.
She opened his bedroom door
just sixteen, his toes
barely touching the floor.
The grief of that family
his older sister Annie,
dear to my son's heart;
forced into despair suddenly.
The realness of this tragedy
did not sink in-
till I drove to work
and the tears did begin.
What words can one
possibly say to parents
of a son who had lost his way.
In my mind I think
there for the grace of God
that it could be me
that this horrible event lay;
Their lives never the same
for every Thanksgiving
they will walk past his door
feeling the sadness and the shame.
God be with them, let them know
they are not to blame.

------------------
Julie
-------------------------
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss it, you will land among the stars.~Les Brown~

© Copyright 1999 Julie - All Rights Reserved
Denise
Member Seraphic
since 1999-08-22
Posts 22648

1 posted 1999-11-27 01:47 AM

Oh, Julie what a heartbreak. Please extend my sympathies to them. Such a tragedy. Something like this does leave us speechless. Your poem caputures well the shock and heartache. Well done, Julie.

------------------
Denise

Cuddlez
since 1999-11-27
Posts 422
Walla Walla, WA 99362
2 posted 1999-11-27 01:50 AM

My dear friend lost another dear friend on a holiday, and life has never been the same since. Be happy its not you, but please hold and comfort your son. Even if he acts fine he may not be. You see, my dear friend had had so much happen to him that his friend dieing was the last straw. He killed himself soon after because no one thought anyone would repeat the act and cause the same feelings... If this indirectly saves anyone's life so be it. Its just a truth I learned. Look beyond your conceptions and try to understand the immediate.
Pepper
Member Elite
since 1999-08-19
Posts 3079
Southern Florida
3 posted 1999-11-27 08:50 AM

Oh how very tragic Julie. 'Speechless' is a most fitting title...that is how this piece has left me. I agree with Denise,"Your poem captures well the shock and heartache." My heart goes out to the family and, of course, your son.....
hoot_owl_rn
Member Patricius
since 1999-07-05
Posts 10750
Glen Hope, PA USA
4 posted 1999-11-27 09:00 AM

How tragic
Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
5 posted 1999-11-27 09:10 AM

What a senseless waste of life.....and such tragedy for the family. Yes, you're right. It is a holiday that will never bring happiness again. So sad.
Julie
since 1999-08-20
Posts 739
Houston, TX
6 posted 1999-11-27 12:28 PM

Denise, Pepper, hoot, Balladeer: Thank you for your extended sympathies. My son will appreciate it. It was easy for me to relate to this family with my son being so close in age...how they must feel. It just made my love deeper for my own child.

Cuddlez: Thank you for your concern, the boy which I wrote about was actually my son's girlfriends brother. Over-empathy is not likely. I believe if we pay attention and "know" our children and talk with them we can prevent many things. My son came to me when I was asleep at 1 a.m. in the morning to tell me and to talk and to get comfort from me...this tells me he is dealing with his grief appropriately. It is those children who have no one to turn to or who have never been taught it is okay to show sadness that are in trouble. Your point is sadly a reality for many.

RainbowGirl
Member Elite
since 1999-07-31
Posts 3023
United Kingdom
7 posted 1999-11-28 04:15 PM

Oh Julie, the heartbreak is hard enough but knowing it will be an anniversary which falls on a family occasion must be even worse..

HUGS

------------------
There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle, or the mirror that reflects it...

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #4 » Speechless

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary