navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #4 » California Daddy
Open Poetry #4
Post A Reply Post New Topic California Daddy Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Michael
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-13
Posts 7666
California

0 posted 1999-12-13 12:50 PM

CALIFORNIA  DADDY

Why do they call me the "Absent Father"?
I never left, I'm still here, if alone.
I can't pretend that term doesn't bother
Me, when the sin is not mine to atone.
I don't hear them say, "Virtueless Mother".
They're too busy paying a cheating wife
For becoming pregnant by another,
And putting the screws to my life.

At five years old, to live with me he cried.
He still cries today, my God, he's now ten.
But I'm told he's still too young to decide.
He must be twelve years old, and even then...
That only allows his testimony
To go before a judges scrutiny.
With paternal rights, like matrimony,
Mere myths to a California Daddy.

Meanwhile, I.R.S. takes thirty percent.
Whatever's left, the D.A. cuts in half.
And while I feel lucky I've made my rent,
I'm still not sure rather to cry or laugh.
Cause another man claims my child each year,
And every month, Mom gets a check for her sin,
Visitation depending on silence, I fear,
A California Daddy just can't win...
< !signature-->

Michael Anderson

It's the little things you take for granted,
That'll mean the most to you when they're gone.

[This message has been edited by Michael (edited 12-13-1999).]

© Copyright 1999 Michael Anderson - All Rights Reserved
Seymour Tabin
Member Empyrean
since 1999-07-07
Posts 31720
Tamarac Fla
1 posted 1999-12-13 12:58 PM

Michael,
Enjoyed the poem and
Believe me you are not alone.
We all do the best we can.

Pepper
Member Elite
since 1999-08-19
Posts 3079
Southern Florida
2 posted 1999-12-13 03:43 PM

Sometimes things can be so unfair and this surely is one of those times that it's really high up on the list....
Sorry to hear that you're going through such a rough deal Michael...
A sad and powerful poem....

A soul that writes from the heart and shares it, truly gives a gift extraordinaire!

Severn
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-17
Posts 7704

3 posted 1999-12-13 03:53 PM

Michael - heart touched I am.

So sad - I know you have many lights in your life to help the pain though. (Like your writing talent...)

K

Martie
Member Empyrean
since 1999-09-21
Posts 28049
California
4 posted 1999-12-13 04:00 PM

Your poem speaks of sorrow and bitterness.  I've been through similar and know some of what you must feel.  Stay strong--time moves so fast, though now it may seem slow. < !signature-->

In the dew of little things,
the heart finds its morning
and is refreshed.
(ee cummings)

[This message has been edited by Martie (edited 12-13-1999).]

Iloveit
since 1999-09-02
Posts 1121
NM
5 posted 1999-12-13 04:10 PM

oh Michael, the poem combined with the picture paints such a heartbreak.....wishing you the best and for the next 2 years to fly by, so that he can come live with you  
Elizabeth Santos
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-11-08
Posts 9269
Pennsylvania
6 posted 1999-12-13 05:23 PM

Michael,
Being an employer, I have seen all too many cases where the father is required to pay child support well beyond his means, and in many cases where the mother doesn't need the funds and does this out of revenge. Don't get me wrong, I believe in child support, but the scales of justice have tipped way too far in the direction of the mother.Many times, the mother is with someone new, who purposely won't adopt the child so that he can benefit from the child support. It happens way too often.
Liz

Andrew Scott
Member Elite
since 1999-06-24
Posts 2558
Redlands,CA,USA
7 posted 1999-12-13 05:36 PM

Ouch!  Sorry you have the means to write such a tale so well.  I bow to you and yours.
Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
8 posted 1999-12-13 08:47 PM

MIchael, this poem is brilliant in its ability to describe so exactly what your situation is. We all see the outpouring of sympathy for a wronged wife but seldom are privy to the suffering of a wronged father. Your poem does this very well.

To the world you might be just one person but to one person you might just be the world.

hoot_owl_rn
Member Patricius
since 1999-07-05
Posts 10750
Glen Hope, PA USA
9 posted 1999-12-13 09:01 PM

Michael....this is an excellent piece of writing that really touched me. You've explained well what a lot of people in your situation feel. I hope he gets to be with you soon as the love of you for each other is so evident.
Michael
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-13
Posts 7666
California
10 posted 1999-12-13 10:13 PM

Thank you all for your compassion.  This has been really difficult for me, mainly because the "Valley Fever" illness I have suffered from for the past two years has pretty much mandated I must leave this area for my own well being.
     I so desperately wish Mikey could come with me.  He spends 4 or 5 days a week with me right now anyway, even though I am only entitled to him every other weekend by court ruling.  I hate to think of him being left here while I move...when both he and I feel his real home is with me.
     I hope no one misunderstood this message, I have no beef paying child support, and am proud to take care of my children, but I wonder why a father's heart and a child's heart have to be sacrificed because the mother backed out on the marriage, but still needs the financial support.

Michael

[This message has been edited by Michael (edited 12-13-1999).]

Michael II
since 1999-12-11
Posts 21
Here, there, everywhere
12 posted 1999-12-13 10:30 PM

I still want to live with
you. But I can`t so maybe I will some day
I will but in tell then we still see each other.I still love you.

Mikey
Michael Robert Anderson Jr.

WhtDove
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-22
Posts 9245
Illinois
13 posted 1999-12-14 12:08 PM

Michael this is big time frustration. My brother moved to California, and his wife ended up leaving him. The laws out there are just ridiculous. He has paid through the nose making payments to her. She took him to the cleaners. I don't think it's very fair either. My heart goes out to you, and I hope the bad situation takes a turn about in your favor soon!

<*\\\><
Jesus is the reason for the season

poetFemmeFatale
Member Elite
since 1999-07-25
Posts 2646
Arkansas
14 posted 1999-12-14 12:31 PM

Oh Michael, this breaks my heart to read this....I saw the title and thought it was gonna be a "fun" poem....You know how I feel about this matter, we've talked alot about it.  Everything is going to be okay - I know he will be with us in due time...Keep the faith that all will work out as it should.  Most everything is going to be in your favor I do believe.  This is a beautiful poem, and it just broke my heart to see Mikey reply to it....He is such a wonderful little boy.  Just like his father.  

- - - If I can just touch you once, then I feel I have accomplished what I am called to do...- - pFF

Denise
Member Seraphic
since 1999-08-22
Posts 22648

15 posted 1999-12-14 12:33 PM

This is heartbreaking, Michael. Sometimes life is so unfair. You will be in my prayers.

Denise

Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
Purgatorial Incarceration
16 posted 1999-12-14 01:36 AM

Mike, you have an awesome kid, and to boot you're an awesome father!
I've seen the two of you together, and I know that someday Mikey WILL be with you! As much as it sux, be patient. Things are turning around for you bro... Karma my friend, you have not long to wait before you get what you deserve... and Mike, you deserve the best!

Eloise
since 1999-11-27
Posts 1096
Wyoming
17 posted 1999-12-14 01:43 AM

Michael - this was a very sad and powerful piece.  It's quite obvious how Mikey feels.  Hang in there we are all behind you.
PhaerieChild
since 1999-08-30
Posts 1787
Aloha, Oregon
18 posted 1999-12-14 01:51 AM

Michael, This was so powerfully written, but beyond that it portrays a love so incredibly deep between a father and his son. Mikey's reply was very heart-wrenching as well and I do believe that since you are so involved with his life that eventually things will shine in your favor and you will be able to be the full time father you wish to be. California laws are very much in favor of the mother but that does not make them right. I think you are both very blessed to able to even have a family relationship in a an age when most fathers are either absent by choice or absent because it just seems to be too hard to cope with. You are an exceptional man and I hope and pray only the best for you and Mikey and Femme. The Lord will shine down on you and show you the way.

Poetry~ Words falling on paper, painting a dream.

Shawna R. Holder
Boise, Idaho

DreamEvil
Member Elite
since 1999-06-22
Posts 2396

19 posted 1999-12-14 03:54 AM

I had thought to bring this up on my nightly rounds if need be. I am glad to see that such action was unnecessary. I will not parrot  the words of those above me for they said what was needed.

There is a difference between Justice and Fairness and sometimes neither serve the best interest of the child or the father.

Now and forever, my heart hears ~one voice~.
DreamEvil©
-------------------------------------------------------
"Either kill me or take me as I am,
because I'll be damned if I ever change..."

Count Donatien Alphonse Francois de Sade
(Marquis de Sade)

Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
20 posted 1999-12-14 07:20 AM

..... and a big HUUUUUUGE Hug for both of you...

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #4 » California Daddy

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary