navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #4 » World AIDS day today
Open Poetry #4
Post A Reply Post New Topic World AIDS day today Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
RainbowGirl
Member Elite
since 1999-07-31
Posts 3023
United Kingdom

0 posted 1999-12-01 05:27 PM

World AIDS day today

You, like I have probably made love
expect you've had an injection too
or maybe you're the one who gave blood
never thought it would happen to you?

I wonder if I'm the only one
who loved without protection
believing that your love would last
and carry no infection

Sadly, for many, love will cause death
the love of giving is what I mean
here's a little prayer if this is in your mind
that love for you will stay forever clean

But if you're one for whom it didn't
I've had friends die of this disease
I offer you some loving hugs
and hope your pain will ease...

------------------
Yesterday is but today's memory and tomorrow is today's dream...

[This message has been edited by RainbowGirl (edited 12-01-1999).]
© Copyright 1999 Cindy Jones - All Rights Reserved
Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
1 posted 1999-12-01 05:31 PM

One of my kids gave an oral report today on the "biography" he read this month - He chose Ryan White - The discrimination that child went through was atrocious... What an insidious disease, indeed... - Nice poem, my friend...
Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
2 posted 1999-12-01 06:32 PM

Rainbow, this is a wonderful poem with a strong message to carry on the fight against this killing disease. I would have expected nothing less from you. Hugs.
RainbowGirl
Member Elite
since 1999-07-31
Posts 3023
United Kingdom
3 posted 1999-12-01 07:03 PM

Nan: If I remember correctly Ryan was a young lad of 13 who contracted AIDS through being a hemophiliac.. He was then denied the right to schooling and heaven knows what other nightmares he lived through, and all through people being ignorant...boy, do I hate that...oooops..sorry.. ..but he made great friends with the stars and they helped to highlight his story and eventually brought world recognition to how AIDS can be contracted to young children, not just through drugs but through kindess and love...he fought his disease with supreme courage!

HUSG

Bal: This Rainbow likes to leave a little colour somewhere even if it is somewhat muddied...but you're right to know I care..HUSG back my friend

------------------

[This message has been edited by RainbowGirl (edited 12-01-1999).]

Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
4 posted 1999-12-01 07:22 PM

Wonderful poem...I'm so glad you wrote this.
RainbowGirl
Member Elite
since 1999-07-31
Posts 3023
United Kingdom
5 posted 1999-12-01 07:33 PM

PDV: So am I...it's the least I can do for those that suffer without care and consideration and maybe, just maybe, because it makes me feel a little better...so few people care...

Thank you for caring!

HUSG

------------------

Ohme
since 1999-07-17
Posts 816
Texas
6 posted 1999-12-01 08:04 PM

I did not remember the boy's name but I do remember the problems he had to face. None of which was his doing.
suthern
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Seraphic
since 1999-07-29
Posts 20723
Louisiana
7 posted 1999-12-01 08:22 PM

I've lost many acquaintances and one very dear friend to AIDS... thank you for this poem!
hoot_owl_rn
Member Patricius
since 1999-07-05
Posts 10750
Glen Hope, PA USA
8 posted 1999-12-01 11:02 PM

What an excellent reminder to all of us....thank you
cjs9853
since 1999-11-26
Posts 44
smyrna, tn usa.
9 posted 1999-12-02 07:39 AM

wonderful poem:-) thanks for caring.if we all cared a little more what a wonderful world this would be.
Toerag
Member Ascendant
since 1999-07-29
Posts 5622
Ala bam a
10 posted 1999-12-02 07:49 AM

Very heartfelt poem my dear Brit. I don't have unprotected sex.....(come to think of it, haven't had a whole lotta protected sex lately...hmmm?), but, God knows how many injections I've had....(legal and otherwise in my dark past), and, there's been so many surgeries, (not all by surgeons either), and it's a miracle I haven't contracted something? (other than the mental problems & warped thoughts), but this poem is not only a reminder, but a warning, and also shows what a terrible disease this is. It not only infects, it affects us all....the innocent and the not so innocent. To be dying, shunned and terribly ill, especially at such a young age has got to be a nightmare for the victim and the family......Nice thought.....(how come most all of your stuff is so nice?) How come I can't think of such heartfelt stuff? Why's my name Toerag?
Lynn
since 1999-09-20
Posts 316
Jasper, Alabama U.S.A.
11 posted 1999-12-02 09:36 AM

Great poem for such a subject. AIDS is one disease that scares me to death. I have so many friends who sleep around (unprotected) and it scares me that I could here about one of them contracting this horrid disease.

------------------
If time cannot heal your pain, you can always cry on my shoulder. ~Jenn~

WhtDove
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-22
Posts 9245
Illinois
12 posted 1999-12-02 10:10 AM

I remember hearing of this and many more stories. I'm glad they stood and fought for their rights. Though I'm sorry that they were treated as poorly as they were. It is a terrible shame the way society shuns people today. Thank you for reminding us!
RainbowGirl
Member Elite
since 1999-07-31
Posts 3023
United Kingdom
13 posted 1999-12-02 10:38 AM

Ohme: You're right, in Ryan's case it wasn't his fault and often isn't for the majority..

HUGS

Suthern: I wonder how many of us have lost friends/loved one to this?

HUSG

Hoot: I'm sure you see some of the worst affects of this..

HUGS

CJS: Wouldn't it be great..

HUGS

Toe: LOL @ not much lately...and you write just as much from the heart as I do, so don't go thinking your poems aren't nice, cause they're lovely..

HUSG

Lynn: I guess the sad thing is, you don't have to "sleep around"...once can be enough and for some that's all it takes...I have a weird kind of view of this subject because in my heart, making love means sharing and being so close to your partner and the thought of wearing soemthign takes that feeling away for me (delicately put Rainbow)...and yet it seems that our society has put that at risk..

HUGS

WhtDove: Yep, it is a shame...I think Princess Diana did so much for this cause, I can still see the faces now when she made a point of taking off her gloves to shakes hands with a victim of AIDS...brought tears to my eyes..

HUGS

------------------

JTF
since 1999-08-09
Posts 319
France
14 posted 1999-12-03 05:04 AM

Wonderful poem Rainbow ... straight from your heart

What's wrong with wearing something ? (please note the correct spelling *g*) ... you could wear a teddy, or a garter belt, or ... ooooops, maybe we're not talking about the same kind of "something" ... LOL

HUSG

RainbowGirl
Member Elite
since 1999-07-31
Posts 3023
United Kingdom
15 posted 1999-12-03 04:12 PM

Now this one
I'm proud to have written

My love and concern knows no boundaries on this...

HUGS all

ROFL @ Teddy and garter....ooops...yep, wrong something..

------------------

Elizabeth Santos
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-11-08
Posts 9269
Pennsylvania
16 posted 1999-12-03 05:08 PM

Rainbow, I am enjoying all of your poetry, it's excellent! And this one has an added bonus of importance that affects all of us
Well written
Liz

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #4 » World AIDS day today

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary