navwin » Main Forums » Poetry Workshop » Conssumation of Grief - Bukowski
Poetry Workshop
Post A Reply Post New Topic Conssumation of Grief - Bukowski Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
ChristianSpeaks
since 2006-05-18
Posts 396
Iowa, USA

0 posted 2007-01-25 03:58 PM

I had talked to Nan and wondered if there was a place that we could practice our critic abilities. I thought we might talk about a few poems from well-known poets. This conversation could include what you like about it, why you like it, what you hate about  it, why you hate it. etc... Hopefully this will help to osify your postion on poetry. Also there are wonderful archives of classic and modern poets at poethunter.com and netpoets.com. So here's the link I hope this will foster a discussion.

http://www.poemhunter.com/poem/consummation-of-grief/

CS

© Copyright 2007 Dane Barner - All Rights Reserved
LeeJ
Member Patricius
since 2003-06-19
Posts 13296

1 posted 2007-02-27 02:35 PM

I didn't know this was here but glad I found it...

I love Bukowski Period
but what I enjoy about this one is the ending...
he is so god awful honest throughout...painting the downsides to life
but the end, makes the downsides balance with the good...to me, when he says very little love is not bad...it points out the fact that when your loved, there are always expectations you must live up to...he accepts life in all it's deepest darkest avenues, to be what it is, nothing more, nothing less...and yet, knows what is most important in life, which, is nothing material.  

thanks for this thread, I hope others join in, as this could be very interesting and fun

aziza
Member Elite
since 2006-07-09
Posts 2995
Lumpy Oatmeal makes me Crazy!
2 posted 2007-02-28 03:43 AM

I like the flow of the words - I love how they require me to read them with feeling, to extend them out and savor them.

I can feel the sadness - the late nights of drinking, and feeling a longing among the beauty.  That sadness is almost something that I can taste.

"very little love is not so bad
or very little life"

I read these lines again and again - and I found him to be speaking the truth.  Very little of both is not bad, not experiencing either would be a great loss.

"what counts
is waiting on walls
I was born for this
I was born to hustle roses down the avenues of the dead."

I loved these lines, but I am still mulling them over. What walls?  Tombstones?  Or am I being too literal?  Are the avenues of the dead cemetaries?  I feel a bit of a fool for confessing my confusion - but maybe by expressing that confusion, I'll learn how to be a better reader of poetry.

Who knows? What I do know is that I like this poem enough to read more of his works.

Alison

ChristianSpeaks
since 2006-05-18
Posts 396
Iowa, USA
3 posted 2007-03-01 01:43 PM

Yeah people finally paid attention to this thread!!!! Cool stuff guys. What poems do you keep coming back to? What can we say about them?

CS

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Poetry Workshop » Conssumation of Grief - Bukowski

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary