navwin » Main Forums » Poetry Workshop » August? Triolet? For September, how about....
Poetry Workshop
Post A Reply Post New Topic August? Triolet? For September, how about.... Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart

0 posted 2003-08-08 03:19 PM

Saw that perhaps we would Triolet in August, Nan, which is fine. I'm just now getting the hang of them, I think. Although, sigh, my meter still KA-bumps when it should daDum...

Anyway...another thought.

For September, could we have a class on critiquing? Hmmm? I found a couple of links that Prairie Inkwells is going to review, and of the two that we'll be using - they had some good information on critiquing style - as well as knowing how, when, why, and whom to critique!

So...wasn't sure if that would fit into the class schedule, but thought if nothing else, we could dissect that information to see what we glean out of it - and how to use it on examples, say, of famous poets' works...?

Just shining an apple...[oh geez, that leads to asking Kit for another smilie, now, doesn't it???]

© Copyright 2003 Karilea Rilling Jungel - All Rights Reserved
Munda
Member Elite
since 1999-10-08
Posts 3544
The Hague, The Netherlands
1 posted 2003-08-08 04:07 PM

What a great idea Sunshine! I often read in the CA forum, but never post there, as I feel I don't know how to critique other's work. I'd love to learn how.

Here's another idea Nan: How about giving us a line, or subject to work with, instead of only a form/meter? It might be interesting to see what everyone does with the same line, or subject. Just some thoughts teach.  

[This message has been edited by Munda (08-08-2003 07:17 PM).]

Munda
Member Elite
since 1999-10-08
Posts 3544
2 posted 2003-08-08 04:09 PM

Btw Sunny One, could you send me those links, or post them here? I'd love to read what they have to say. Thankee.
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
3 posted 2003-08-08 04:41 PM

http://www.writing-world.com/poetry/crit.shtml
http://www.blehert.com/essays/critique.html

These are the two links that I will be reviewing with our poetry group this month, Munda.  I read through them, and wow, do they make so much sense, AND stay with Ron's idea of fair, respectful tolerance of others work.

I didn't know if Nan would like a jump start on these, but I guess it never hurts to bring things on our own [I hope.  I need to get Kit to work on the shining apple smiley... ]

Munda
Member Elite
since 1999-10-08
Posts 3544
4 posted 2003-08-08 06:41 PM

Wow Sunshine, that was great! I especially loved the second link and learned a lot tonight. Thanks girl! I may try this in the CA forum soon.

After reading all that I think I am my own worst critic, but, if I'm honest, I would love some serious critique from "strangers". I have rewritten most of my poetry on my home page and, up till this day, I don't think I can improve it any further. However I would love to learn how others read/feel it and, if they feel like, tear it apart or tell me where and why it can be improved. Especially since my native language isn't English (which should be no excuse for praise! LOL) Therefore I would like to ask you if you would consider to take some of my poetry for critiquing to class with you. I'd really like to learn what others think of my poetry, other than the "nice, great, or wonderful" here at Passions.

Of course you're entitled to say no. LOL Every questions asked always leaves the possibility to a yes, or a no. However, if you decide on a yes, I'd be most honoured and don't you worry, there's no one harder on critiquing me than I!

Once more I feel sorry for the distance, because I would have loved being a part of Prairie Inkwells. I really think it's fabulous what you're doing.

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
5 posted 2003-08-08 06:52 PM

Munda, we would love to give a critique to your poetry.  Can't mess up much with perfection, don't you know?     As you know, Prairie Inkwells posts here in Passions in order to give our other members a venue by which they can be viewed, commented on - and critiqued...so I think this is a win/win situation for everyone.  Why not re-post your poetry that you want us to look at as a group [do you think we need to get Nan's permission before taking over the classroom?   ]

Munda
Member Elite
since 1999-10-08
Posts 3544
6 posted 2003-08-08 07:16 PM

ROFL! We definitely need that apple smilie! Whatcha think teach? Can we? Alsjeblieft?

I haven't seen any submissions from the class lately though. did I miss them?

Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
7 posted 2003-08-08 07:44 PM

Mary is my student.  She's 11 years old and entering the sixth grade... Anyone who'd like to make a little girl happy, please feel free to comment... Thankee...
/pip/Forum81/HTML/000369.html

The rest is duly noted...

[This message has been edited by Nan (08-08-2003 07:44 PM).]

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Poetry Workshop » August? Triolet? For September, how about....

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary