navwin » Main Forums » Poetry Workshop » Within The Black
Poetry Workshop
Post A Reply Post New Topic Within The Black Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Dark Angel
Member Patricius
since 1999-08-04
Posts 10095

0 posted 2003-05-29 09:17 AM

Within The Black

Toward the mist of cooing breeze I lean
Beneath the trees and warmth of summers death
With blades and clovers shimmering green
The Eucalyptus murmurs barren breath
Natures sway amorously stirs grey night
A bird her song and stars her mirror-ball
The autumn moon her commandeer of light
The universe, somnolently enthralls
Our mother earth, in glorious capture
She stimulates a fragrant world unseen
The foreign depths of these phenomena
A drawing of breath a vista serene
Yet silently she slaves within the black
And I moan for this virtue which I lack.

Dark Angel

Note: this was taken and reworked from a poem which was written back I don't know when but is in one of the open forums in the archives.

Thank you Nancy and Karilea for your input and advice with writing this sonnet. I hope I've done it right.

Maree
If not... back to the drawing board!

© Copyright 2003 Dark Angel - All Rights Reserved
fayth
since 2003-05-03
Posts 19

1 posted 2003-05-29 12:34 PM

Maree, Hi!

looks like you got the meter Ok, sounds great.

I'm not doing so well,

But I think if I keep reading ONLY sonnets I'm bound to think in pentameter.

take care

Marge Tindal
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-06
Posts 42384
Florida's Foreverly Shores
2 posted 2003-05-29 01:20 PM

DarkAngel~
I may not know much ... but I know this ...
this is one of the most beautiful pieces I've EVER read !!

It sits easy in my poetic heart~
Thank you~
*Huglets*
~*Marge*~

~*The pen of the poet never runs out of ink, as long as we breathe.*~
noles1@totcon.com

[This message has been edited by Marge Tindal (05-29-2003 01:21 PM).]

Dr.Moose1
Member Elite
since 1999-09-05
Posts 3448
Bewilderment , USA
3 posted 2003-05-29 08:56 PM

Dark Angel,
Your use of imagery is simply stunning. There were a few lines where I had to stress a normally unstressed syllable to make it read for me( notice I said "for me").Please don't think I'm nit-picking, this has all the makings of a great write.
Doc

Not A Poet
Member Elite
since 1999-11-03
Posts 3885
Oklahoma, USA
4 posted 2003-05-30 11:02 AM

Very nice Maree. Great theme and imagery. I did notice one rhyme that doesn't work though and, like Doc, the meter in a couple of places tripped me up a bit. Still, I enjoyed it very much.

Pete

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
5 posted 2003-05-30 11:13 AM

Maree...You know me and meter...but the word use is sparkling...and I do appreciate your thinking you could come to me for help.  What little I did was just showing you other corners to look into...but overall, your own personality and refined talents come through....

as it should be!  

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
6 posted 2003-05-30 10:31 PM

Look at that Dark Angel rhyming and using structure! I am beyond impressed!

You did great, Marie. There are only a couple of rough spots...

With blades and clovers shimmering green
Here you are one syllable short and the iambic breaks down with SHIM-mer-ing GREEN.
Shimmering has to go..
"With blades and clover gaily clad in green" or something similar would work.

Natures sway amorously stirs grey night

Here you are beginning the sentence with a trochaic word -NAtures. Since iambic is unaccented/accented, trochaic words are not used to begin iambic sentences. Also "AM-or-ous-LY" is not an iambic word. Something like...
"The sway of Nature's passion stirs grey night" or something similar would work.

Our mother earth, in glorious capture

"GLOR-i-ous CAP-ture" is not iambic. Glorious is not an iambic word when followed by a trochaic word. If you were to say "glorious design" then glorious would be iambic but, since the following word begins with an accented syllable, glorious cannot be used as iambic. Since you are going to break the rhyme scheme anyway by using the word phenomena in a place that was supposed to rhyme with capture, it's a good idea to replace capture with something else.

A drawing of breath a vista serene

DRAW-ing of BREATH is not iambic, nor is a VIS-ta ser-ENE.

Your wording is brilliant and the poem beautiful. If you clear up these mechanics, you will have a thing of beauty

Dark Angel
Member Patricius
since 1999-08-04
Posts 10095

7 posted 2003-05-31 07:44 PM

Wow you guys, thank you so much  for your lovely replies...I have alot of work to do with perfecting a sonnet this I know hehe.

fayth, guess what? meter is wrong hehe but like you I thought I had it right too. Thank you for your lovely reply.

Marge thank you, such a lovely thing to say. and I am glad it sits easy in your poetic heart

Dr. Mooose1, hey there Doc...nope I do not think you are nit picking at all. I appreciate your comment very much. Thank you

Hiya Pete...ok that rhyme that doesn't work..."capture" and "phenomea" that's my accent. I'm an Aussie therfore  "capture" is not pronounce with an er ending but an ar  ending..if you know  what I mean. And I'm glad you still enjoyed it Thank you for your lovely reply.

Sunshiny girl...."what little I did"? was alot m'friend and yes you did help me more than you know dear. I thank you very much. Thank you for your lovely reply.

Balladeer, beyong impressed ey? I never thought I'd ever give it ago again but I want to write a sonnet waiiil! and yanno hopefully one day I will. I could hear that the structure was off but when I tried to correct it I couldn't hear it any better. When I read Pete's here the other day I heard it perfectly and it was beautiful. So I kinda know what to listen for but it just didn't work. Need to read more sonnets.
Thank you so much for your help and for showing me where I've gone wrong. (I knew it was in there sosmwhere heh)
With "capture" and "Phenomena" see above my reply to Pete.
Will do my best to make this perfect.

thank you all so very much for your kind replies and  great advice.

Maree.

Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
8 posted 2003-06-18 07:33 PM

By gosh - By golly --- We've got the master meter man, Balladeer helping out - Thankya Deer...

He's pretty thorough - All I have to say beyond that is... I enjoyed every line - Simply awesome...

Jamie
Member Elite
since 2000-06-26
Posts 3168
Blue Heaven
9 posted 2003-06-22 09:57 PM

well well--look who i found hiding here --and writing sonnets no less

Love it Mmy-

hugs girly

J

There is society where none intrudes, by the deep sea, and music in its roar.
byron

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Poetry Workshop » Within The Black

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary