navwin » Main Forums » Poetry Workshop » Triolet Exercise
Poetry Workshop
Post A Reply Post New Topic Triolet Exercise Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Prairie Inkwells
since 2002-02-04
Posts 13
Kansas

0 posted 2002-02-11 10:34 PM

Okay folks! The Prairie Inkwells writer's group has struck again! This time Schenachie worked on a Triolet, and for us that don't know any better, we all think she did a bang-up job, or so Charlie would say [that's Dickens to you...] So give it a whirl, and tell us what you think....

Triolet Exercise

I have never met a better friend
than you, who always stood with me.
Through joyful laugh or sad heart mend,
I have never met a better friend.
The happiest I have ever been
was in your faithful company.
I have never met a better friend,
than you, who always stood with me.

© Copyright 2002 Prairie Inkwells - All Rights Reserved
Dr.Moose1
Member Elite
since 1999-09-05
Posts 3448
Bewilderment , USA
1 posted 2002-02-12 06:17 AM

shenachie,
I would say this has all the elements combined into a nice, compact, and thoughtful read. Well done.
Doc

Titia Geertman
Member Ascendant
since 2001-05-07
Posts 5182
Netherlands
2 posted 2002-02-12 07:50 AM

This is just great

Titia

A rose is a rose is a rose...I guess...
Check out my new website: lookheretitia.fcpages.com (I didn't 'link' this, so it won't take too much space).I

Munda
Member Elite
since 1999-10-08
Posts 3544
The Hague, The Netherlands
3 posted 2002-02-12 11:36 AM

Oh boy, this Triolet is so well crafted and pleasant to read I almost missed you cheated on the rhyme scheme, but I gotcha...   Nonetheless it reads beautifully and I love what it says.  

[This message has been edited by Munda (02-12-2002 02:24 PM).]

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
4 posted 2002-02-12 05:44 PM

Okay, Munda, Shenachie and I need help. [Or ANYONE can help us, but Munda pointed it out] How exactly did she "cheat" on the rhyme scheme.  We're still in class and need more lessons, apparently!

Munda
Member Elite
since 1999-10-08
Posts 3544
5 posted 2002-02-12 06:09 PM

Now who's got who uh? But since I was so "kind" to point this out (will I ever again? LOL), I shall try to explain. Since the rhyme scheme is: ABaAabAB - line # 3 and 5 are supposed to rhyme with # 1 -4 and 7 right?
Blame it on my foreign tongue, but no matter how I pronounce it, I can't make "friend - mend and been" rhyme.

Yeah I know... let's see if I can write a Triolet puzzle as good as this one myslf uh? (And without help this time! )

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
6 posted 2002-02-12 08:55 PM

Ok Munda, I see what you mean, and over here, "friend" and "mend" would rhyme, with "been" [sounding like the name "Ben"] being more of a "slant rhyme".  BUT...Nan gets final say on whether or not this qualified as a triolet, right?

By the by, anyone want to pronounce Triolet for us?  Phonetically, I've been pronouncing it tree-oh-lay, while, when looking for information on this style of poetry, the poet from whom I garnered some information rhymed it with "get" making it "Tree-0h-Let".  Who can tell me, which is correct?

amigo
since 2001-10-12
Posts 520
the earth school
7 posted 2002-02-12 10:16 PM

Kari dear, ummm...i think i can try & help you here..

Directly from the Poetic Dictionary of Terms

TRIOLET (TRY-uh-lut)
(& this is directly from Nan's post - February Triloet...)

now, coming to the exercise...i really liked the idea & words here...but, the rhyme, i was also little confused...'friend - mend - been'...but then, i'm still in kindergarten here, so, no comments...

instead, the 5th line...i thought as...'the happiest time i ever could spend' - something like that...also, i think i would prefer a friend stand 'by' me than 'with' me...

well now, that's it from this beginner here....great work, you're doing, Karilea...will you be having a writers' group in our area too & if so, can i join too....

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
8 posted 2002-02-12 10:59 PM

I'm not doing the work, amigo, my friend...it's a joint effort!  Thank you for all of the explanation!

As for having a writer's group in YOUR area?  Awesome thought...covering the earth...

but I think Ron has that covered!  You're more than welcome to drop in whenever you're circling Kansas...

Munda
Member Elite
since 1999-10-08
Posts 3544
9 posted 2002-02-13 06:10 AM

Hmm... I see what you mean, but wouldn't it be a shame for this Triolet to be perfect only to those who pronounce "been" as "ben"? Sorry, I couldn't resist! Does that mean no Brownies for me this time?
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
10 posted 2002-02-13 06:46 AM

You've got me, Munda! Sending brownies by snailmail...[not really, I think they'd spoil by the time they left the states, IF they got to leave the states!] [I must find a brownie graphic!]...and I will share this with Shenachie...and I'm still trying to figure out what to write for my own triolet!

Bridget Shenachie
since 2002-01-23
Posts 1056
Kansas USA
11 posted 2002-02-13 08:34 PM

Thanks to all of you for taking the time to read my triolet exercise and to comment.

My thanks to Munda for questioning the rhyme scheme.  I was cheating a bit using the slant rhyme of "been".  I do want to write with clarity and to get as close to perfection as I can.  I do want to reach beyond the American readers and it helps to know what doesn't sound right.

Amigo--I think that you came up with the perfect fix.  I agreed with all of your suggestions.  We need you at the Prairie Inkwell meetings. My thanks to you.

Sunshine--A special thanks to you for posting this poem, along with the others, and for introducing the Prairie Inkwells to these wonderful people.

Shenachie

Dr.Moose1
Member Elite
since 1999-09-05
Posts 3448
Bewilderment , USA
12 posted 2002-02-13 09:40 PM

Shenachie,
Been, pen, when, then.
Bean, mean, clean, wean.
I had no problems at all with the rhyme in this piece. 'Twould be a bane if your been wouldst be pronounced as a boon ( though some may think to trounce me as a loon)
I liked it as was written.
Doc

Lady in Red
since 2000-02-16
Posts 147

13 posted 2002-02-14 10:27 AM

Oh don't you listen to Munda, Bridget! She's such a busy body at times! You wouldn't believe the things she does for Brownies. Good thing I escape her from time to time, otherwise she'd be such a bore!

Romeo, Romeo, where fart art thou...

Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
14 posted 2002-02-17 09:43 AM

This is wonderful... Methinks that Sunshine has a pretty good friend here.. or is it Bridget who has the good fortune??.. Both, no doubt..

The only nips & tucks I'd consider here are in the meter (if you're trying to conform - of course)... Some of your lines start with LONG stressed syllables and some begin with short, unstressed syllables.  To be uniform, a couple of syllables here and there would make a difference...

I've approved you for posting on your own, Bridget... Happy Day...

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
15 posted 2002-03-04 04:56 PM

Sheri,
I had to search to bump but here it is. *bump*

Bridget Shenachie
since 2002-01-23
Posts 1056
Kansas USA
16 posted 2002-03-05 02:19 AM

Thanks for the kind words, Lady and Doc.  Methinks Munda and Amigo had some great input.  Nan, I'm still totally at a loss about what the meter should be, so I'm wrapping this one with my imperfect best...
And on to the limericks and pantoums.

Triolet Exercise

than you, who always stood by me.
Through joyful laugh or sad heart mend,
I have never met a better friend.
The happiest time that I could spend
is in your faithful company.
than you, who always stood by me.

Shenachie

[This message has been edited by Bridget Shenachie (03-05-2002 02:20 AM).]

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Poetry Workshop » Triolet Exercise

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary