navwin » Main Forums » Poetry Workshop » Bruised - First attempt Triolet
Poetry Workshop
Post A Reply Post New Topic Bruised - First attempt Triolet Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Casidy
since 2002-01-27
Posts 36
The Heart of Texas

0 posted 2002-02-08 11:02 AM

Bruised

We stopped to pick the flowers and forgot forget me nots
Thoughts cascading canyons over mountain steep
Leaving teary pictures ‘neath the forest laden tops….
We walked on long, finding all we sought
Planting little seeds, to later reap
Thoughts cascading canyons over mountain steep

Okay... call this a first attempt to try and get a feel for what this thingie is... a Triolet that is *smiles sweetly*... I don't know if I like all this repeating... Also... I have a question, if you add more stanza's... do they have to repeat the first?... or do they start a new repeat?.... or are there rules for new stanzas?....

© Copyright 2002 Casidy Canyon - All Rights Reserved
Titia Geertman
Member Ascendant
since 2001-05-07
Posts 5182
Netherlands
1 posted 2002-02-08 04:20 PM

WOW Casidy, I think this is a great first attempt. Welcome to passions and class, you'll love it here (as long as you bring apples for the teach).

Oh I still have to work on mine, well actually didn't start it yet, too busy doing other things.

Titia

A rose is a rose is a rose...I guess...
Want to use the pics on my website? Just send me a mail and I'll give you the link.

cwebb
since 2002-01-19
Posts 34

2 posted 2002-02-09 06:01 AM

I think it's beautiful - and love whimsy of your "forgot the forget-me-nots"!  

I hope Nan can answer your question - I don't remember seeing any rules about subsequent verses, and far as I'm concerned, I can just make up my own! (Until I'm told otherwise!)  I did look up triolets on various sites, and not one of the examples had more than one verse... I thought it interesting that there's no restriction to line-length, either.  The repeating lines - yes, I feel that way too, but at the same time, I seem to hear the distant music of a harpsichord... this form to me has a sort of balladic quality, presented by a courtier to his lover as he might (or perhaps accompanied by!) a nosegay...  the occasion, perhaps, for some clever word-play!

Carol

Munda
Member Elite
since 1999-10-08
Posts 3544
The Hague, The Netherlands
3 posted 2002-02-09 10:46 AM

I'm finding Triolet a tricky form of poetry. To repeat so many lines within an 8 line verse and still make sense, seems almost impossible to me, yet you managed very well. Well done!
Not A Poet
Member Elite
since 1999-11-03
Posts 3885
Oklahoma, USA
4 posted 2002-02-11 11:12 AM

Hi Casidy. This is really nice, especially for a first try. One thing though and it may be just me but the meter on line 5 makes me stumble just a bit. I've read it several times and each time that one line just feels wrong. Otherwise, it really flows nice.

Pete

Casidy
since 2002-01-27
Posts 36
The Heart of Texas
5 posted 2002-02-11 07:59 PM

Thank you all for the comments ;-)

I will look at line 5... I agree it seems to stumble a bit there... it also seems to need more verses ;-)...

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
6 posted 2002-02-11 10:43 PM

Casidy, I'm thinking you do have a heart as big as Texas, for if this is your first post at a tricky format, then there's a lot more where that came from...

and I agree with your fifth line...it needs a little work...

looking forward to more!

Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
7 posted 2002-02-15 07:47 PM

This is indeed lovely, Casidy - It's so nice to have a new poet begin their Passionate posts here in the workshop.  I've gotta warn you - we have some serious fun (oxymoron) in here.

You've given us a great entree - Thank you - and check your email for a special treat..

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Poetry Workshop » Bruised - First attempt Triolet

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary