navwin » Main Forums » Poetry Workshop » The Path I Took
Poetry Workshop
Post A Reply Post New Topic The Path I Took Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
cwebb
since 2002-01-19
Posts 34

0 posted 2002-01-29 11:22 PM

Along the road I daily took
- above those bluffs, whose distant view
traced river's passageway, I'd look;
and daily looking - think of you.

(The fog lay very soft, you know -
and drifting, hid the distant shore
I had the thought I'd tell you, so
you'd see it, as you had before.)

And in my mind, described the sight
in words I'd use in painting clear
- that loving you again, I might
whisper softly in your ear.

And as I traced this cherished thought -
I realized what I'd forgot.

© Copyright 2002 Carol Webber - All Rights Reserved
Munda
Member Elite
since 1999-10-08
Posts 3544
The Hague, The Netherlands
1 posted 2002-02-05 03:22 PM

Caroline, it seems I completely missed this post! A sonnet it is not (yet) hehe, but you're getting there. I love the theme and with a little work on the meter, you should be able to turn this poem into a little sonnet song. Should you still like some help, please let me know, but if you rather move on to Triolet I understand.  

cwebb
since 2002-01-19
Posts 34

2 posted 2002-02-06 06:46 AM

Munda, thank you - and yes, I'm VERY open to any constructive criticism!  In fact, that's why I'm here.  I do know that each line of this has only 4 beats, rather than the required 5, by the way - that was deliberate.  Do you think that takes it completely out of the realm of 'sonnet'?

Carol

Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
3 posted 2002-02-07 10:23 AM

Hey Carol...

This is a wonderful piece.  Many contemporary poets are modifying the standard iambic pentameter and using iambic tetrameter as you did here....

Remember that my theory is - If you're going to break the rules, you have to at least know them first - so you can break them properly.  You've done that here.  I see only one line that needs any adjustment at all...

WHIS/per-SOFT/ly-IN/your-EAR

This is one syllable short... I might add 'just' a syllable... like mayhaps..

Just whisper softly in your ear

That puts your iambics into your tetrameter and completes an otherwise perfectly crafted work...

I like it...

cwebb
since 2002-01-19
Posts 34

4 posted 2002-02-07 01:51 PM

oho!  Perfect, Nan - thank you!!  I'd missed that completely (not hard to do when my head's elsewhere...)

Carol

Munda
Member Elite
since 1999-10-08
Posts 3544
5 posted 2002-02-07 02:07 PM

Hehe... Nan makes it seem really easy doesn't she? I assure you it is not! Does this mean your assignment is finished or would you like to dig into iambic?
cwebb
since 2002-01-19
Posts 34

6 posted 2002-02-08 06:15 PM

Oh, definitely I'd like to go for iambic... I want this to become part of my vocabulary - and all the other forms, eventually.  It seems to pay off enormously in terms of 'attention to detail'!  So yes - Iambic, I SHALL RETURN!!! (when I have more energy!)

Carol

Dr.Moose1
Member Elite
since 1999-09-05
Posts 3448
Bewilderment , USA
7 posted 2002-02-10 08:00 PM

cwebb,
Well, I see you are in excellent hands here
(between Nan and Munda)so there's not too much I can add except to say, Iambic tetrameter is perhaps my favorite, although, sadly, it does not  a sonnet make.
Doc
P.S. These two really know what they
're talking about, where as I, on the other hoof, am a bit of a nut-case.
Doc

cwebb
since 2002-01-19
Posts 34

8 posted 2002-02-12 07:57 PM

er, thanks for the word of warning, Doc!  I seem to have left my brain in bed this morning... ever feel yourself completely free of thought?  C'est moi... What a week!
Munda
Member Elite
since 1999-10-08
Posts 3544
9 posted 2002-02-13 05:34 AM

Sorry for being slow Carol. Please check your email.
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Poetry Workshop » The Path I Took

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary